Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger ST-1 / Associated RC8T

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Thunder Tiger ST-1 / Associated RC8T

What kind of compatibility are we looking at here parts wise? It's a LOT easier for me to get RC8T parts than Thunder Tiger parts so I figured I'd see whop had experience swapping parts between the two. Also if there is anything on the RC8T that would be a better choice to use than on the Thunder Tiger ST-1 if I were to replace a few parts. I know Thunder Tiger owns Associated, but the RC8T obviously has much more media attention and success so I figured there are some parts I can swap out that might help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Bump..

ST-1 Pro going new for 200 bucks here.. Doubt I'd get one, but dunno.. Am kind of stuck with Associated as I have an SC8 and RC8B, and lots of parts. I understand the diffs are the same. I don't and won't be racing that seriously, but heck, if I thought I could slap one of my too-many engines in an ST-1 and a Bulldog-style body, why not get one as a basher and occasional club racer?...

Is the ST-1 all THAT outdated and bad? I've always heard how tough they are..

At 200 bucks, heck, could make just a good platform for breaking in and testing engines...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

The St-1 would be a good truggy, held its own at the track at the time. Looks like Amain still has a good parts selection for it. For the right price I would buy one. Stock up now on a few parts you might need down the road.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Bump..

ST-1 Pro going new for 200 bucks here.. Doubt I'd get one, but dunno.. Am kind of stuck with Associated as I have an SC8 and RC8B, and lots of parts. I understand the diffs are the same. I don't and won't be racing that seriously, but heck, if I thought I could slap one of my too-many engines in an ST-1 and a Bulldog-style body, why not get one as a basher and occasional club racer?...

Is the ST-1 all THAT outdated and bad? I've always heard how tough they are..

At 200 bucks, heck, could make just a good platform for breaking in and testing engines...
I wouldn't pay $200 for one with the price of a losi 8t 1.0 where it is.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Well, I'm in Germany, and to give you an idea of comparitive prices:

Losi 8T 2.0 - €380
RC8T CE - €465 or so..
Mugen MBX6T - €500
Serpent - €485..

It's a pretty big price difference..

Now, I could get an LRP RTR (with LRP Spec 3 .28) for €330.. But yeah, don't want an RTR - or to spend that much.. Just sayin' - 200 bucks is cheap for a new kit.

As for Losi, I keep reading about how fast they wear out....

And again, this would be more for bashing, much less so for competitive racing - though I would maybe do that once in a while..
Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

go with the rc8tce trust me

you will be happy in the long run.

it should be strong enough for bashing but pretty good for racing.

ive asked about some of the "thunder tiger st-1" truggy parts fitting on the rc8t and they said some of it fits some of it doesnt fit.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

As things stand right now I'm not gonna buy a top-flight truggy..(especially for way more than twice the price of the ST-1..) Just a question of getting one at all because of the price of this ST-1..
Old 08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

if everything is that much more, then the ST1 will do fine. had mine a while. had everything else out there.