Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New purchase need advice coming back after 8 years. >

New purchase need advice coming back after 8 years.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New purchase need advice coming back after 8 years.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Do a good reaserch about the 8ight 2.0, Don't get wrong is the best buggy in the market in my book but Losi is testing a new buggy, they actually launch an improove 2.0EU for Europe with a few things different from our buggy in wich indicate that new R&D in design and improovement in going on, I have no doubt that a new buggy is in the way after this season of racing the 2.0EU buggy in Europe. Check the LOSI website. Is about that time of the 2 - 3 year mark of a product in the market, new things coming in the way. This is not to shot you down for any means. I race my self a 1.0 upgraded to a 2.0, refuse to buy a 2.0 because is about time for a new breed from Losi. M2C. Welcome back. About the engine try Werks B5 great mill. servos any of the options mention before are good choises.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
Do a good reaserch about the 8ight 2.0, Don't get wrong is the best buggy in the market in my book but Losi is testing a new buggy, they actually launch an improove 2.0EU for Europe with a few things different from our buggy in wich indicate that new R&D in design and improovement in going on, I have no doubt that a new buggy is in the way after this season of racing the 2.0EU buggy in Europe. Check the LOSI website. Is about that time of the 2 - 3 year mark of a product in the market, new things coming in the way. This is not to shot you down for any means. I race my self a 1.0 upgraded to a 2.0, refuse to buy a 2.0 because is about time for a new breed from Losi. M2C. Welcome back. About the engine try Werks B5 great mill. servos any of the options mention before are good choises.
And where did you hear all of this about Losi? I know the EU was created so Losi can get a part of the Euro RC scene. New R&D is always underway, even for stuff they just released. just wondering, I know a few Losi guys and have not heard this myself...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the valuable info guys, trust me i know good servos are a must, they always have been. You guys are saying stay away from the hi-end engines any specific reason? Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum the losi forum ect. how many set of tires do you guys go through on a typical club race/practice day? I want to assume no available hobby shop where i plan to race locally. which is going to be Awesome RC in VA. I want to purchase everything i need. Budget is not to much of a concern to a point.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
Thanks man i have been racing losi cars since i was 17, 33 now. Im aware of the losi car/part of the week marketing plan
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I just don't see the need in spending big dollars on high end engines to start. I mean, if you're loaded, then I would buy whatever you want. But I race on a budget. I started off with a V Spec, and I now race a cheaper N21R.

I just don't think you need a $350+ engine to win club races.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boomgagem
I just don't see the need in spending big dollars on high end engines to start. I mean, if you're loaded, then I would buy whatever you want. But I race on a budget. I started off with a V Spec, and I now race a cheaper N21R.

I just don't think you need a $350+ engine to win club races.
Point taken.

What do the Losi guys think about the smart diffs?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ananda Robinson
Thanks for the valuable info guys, trust me i know good servos are a must, they always have been. You guys are saying stay away from the hi-end engines any specific reason? Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum the losi forum ect. how many set of tires do you guys go through on a typical club race/practice day? I want to assume no available hobby shop where i plan to race locally. which is going to be Awesome RC in VA. I want to purchase everything i need. Budget is not to much of a concern to a point.
I run proline m2 and m3 calibers m3s lasted 6 weekends of hard racing which is 3 q's and 20-30 min mains. I also use Aka Ibeams, cityblocks, and crossbraces softs and meds. The novarossi n21R is a great little motor. picking one up for club races. Good for small to med track if your going to run med to large track i would look at the nova plus 4 or plus 4c bearings are the main diff in the plus 4 and 4c. If you have any questions about novarossi motors find Monty on here hes owns Houston's Engine Services. Hes a great guy and will answer any questions you might have with the motors. Thats who i sure for all my motors , buy and have work done on them .www.houstonsengineservice.com

I run the smart diff in the center and front in my nitro buggy and love them some people dont really like them . In my ebuggy i have one in the center
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by losiracer78
I run proline m2 and m3 calibers m3s lasted 6 weekends of hard racing which is 3 q's and 20-30 min mains. I also use Aka Ibeams, cityblocks, and crossbraces softs and meds. The novarossi n21R is a great little motor. picking one up for club races. Good for small to med track if your going to run med to large track i would look at the nova plus 4 or plus 4c bearings are the main diff in the plus 4 and 4c. If you have any questions about novarossi motors find Monty on here hes owns Houston's Engine Services. Hes a great guy and will answer any questions you might have with the motors. Thats who i sure for all my motors , buy and have work done on them .

I run the smart diff in the center and front in my nitro buggy and love them some people dont really like them . In my ebuggy i have one in the center
I will check them out

Where can i purchase titanium hing/king pins shock mounts and tie rods. Also would you suggest the losi 22* ( i think) caster blocks or leave that stock to start out?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As for tires I run AKAs. I normally run 2 sets a day for one day club races. One for Qualifers and one for mains. The ones I run for mains I will use for qualifers for the next club races. depending on the tracks, I really try to use one set but depends on track.

I say get what ever engine you like and can afford, I understand what people are say and I to race on a budget, but I dont by really cheap engines. I run OS Vspecs and love them 299, I usally go through about 2 engines a year, I dont have some old engines which i use for just fun club racing.

I buy everything from either LHS for for big orders Amain. They have done me well. The Losi is a durble buggy, I broke on part last summer and I drive like a bat out of hell. I het everything on the track..... soooo..... good luck
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

I will check them out

Where can i purchase titanium hing/king pins shock mounts and tie rods. Also would you suggest the losi 22* ( i think) caster blocks or leave that stock to start out?
I run everythings stock other then my shock towers which are carb fiber and smart diffs and de racing rear skidplate , front bumpskid and mud guards, Ascendancy Racing clutch which is alot like the losi clutch just all alu shoes and very smooth. Lunsford racing makes all you tit parts that you might want and you can get them from lunsford racing or amian hobbies . I dont use them myself
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was in your same situation about 7 months. I hadnt been racing in just about 8 years (started when I was 11 or 12 and am now 35) and moved back to an area that had tracks. I didnt have any brand loyalty but I couldnt find any reason not to buy the 8 2.0 RTR. You get a good radio, a starter box, the car is plenty capable of winning races, and an engine that will do just fine.

The weekend I bought the car I picked up a pair of Hitec 7950s. I wasnt a fan of Hitec servos because of past experience but these things have been absolutely amazing. Within a week I picked up the aluminum horn for the steering and a week after that put one on the throttle. I also picked up the turbo head conversion (running D97T plugs), RE11 pipe, and the added the composite shoes to the clutch (2 aluminum 2 composite) for the 4 shoe setup. The engine will be more than enough, I promise. The turbo button and pipe completely transform that power plant. Along the way I started upgrading parts (not a single replacement do to failure!) starting with the quick change engine mount, aluminum shock caps, and race roller shock towers (had a slight bend in the rear tower).

I raced like that until 2 weeks ago when I picked up a new power plant. For the investment made, I dont think I could have come close buying the parts individually. In fact, I just bought an RTR truggy on Friday and will do the same with it (already traded the radio for another Hitec servo).
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by madweazl
I was in your same situation about 7 months. I hadnt been racing in just about 8 years (started when I was 11 or 12 and am now 35) and moved back to an area that had tracks. I didnt have any brand loyalty but I couldnt find any reason not to buy the 8 2.0 RTR. You get a good radio, a starter box, the car is plenty capable of winning races, and an engine that will do just fine.

The weekend I bought the car I picked up a pair of Hitec 7950s. I wasnt a fan of Hitec servos because of past experience but these things have been absolutely amazing. Within a week I picked up the aluminum horn for the steering and a week after that put one on the throttle. I also picked up the turbo head conversion (running D97T plugs), RE11 pipe, and the added the composite shoes to the clutch (2 aluminum 2 composite) for the 4 shoe setup. The engine will be more than enough, I promise. The turbo button and pipe completely transform that power plant. Along the way I started upgrading parts (not a single replacement do to failure!) starting with the quick change engine mount, aluminum shock caps, and race roller shock towers (had a slight bend in the rear tower).

I raced like that until 2 weeks ago when I picked up a new power plant. For the investment made, I dont think I could have come close buying the parts individually. In fact, I just bought an RTR truggy on Friday and will do the same with it (already traded the radio for another Hitec servo).
You guys are the best (taking lots of notes).
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by geejay
And where did you hear all of this about Losi? I know the EU was created so Losi can get a part of the Euro RC scene. New R&D is always underway, even for stuff they just released. just wondering, I know a few Losi guys and have not heard this myself...
Let make this quick. Every company make moves or signals, those signal that are directed in a specific item or direction can give you clues of what is in the R&D or testing. I do not have to read or know directly from the company or and employee. Thats what I do for living, reaserch companys based in news,their R&D's tests may be a few phone calls will help, bottom line make people gain the most out of their investments before the crowd. People do invest, and my work is to give the best advise where and how do it in other word the news that you read today i wroted yesterday. To tell you the true, X company can denide anything about new developments, why? because they have investments, wherhouse full and they need to get rid of all that before they feel safe to bring something new to the public eye. A news about this won't be soon but is not going to take long either. About your friends Losi drivers? Are they Pro drivers? Pro drivers are the one doing the R&D. A good explanation can take a few pages...Now lets back to the topic...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Ok guys im going to start getting this stuff ordered. Anything else you guys want to recommend.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I put 7 cell hump packs in the starter box; made a big difference in power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.