Wiki Posts
Search

What about the generic brands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
It's cool man. Not trying to pick any fights here.

On the topic of issues that have been resolved, you have to remember that those brands you mentioned have/had a much larger following than Caster did. You also have to realize that many people did get upset by those issues that you mentioned and left that particular brand. It's just easier to overlook those people when the following is as large as it is with some brands. For Caster it is harder because they have a smaller following. When there is an issue that upsets some guys and forces them to leave, it is likely that it will impact the following as a whole much more. Just my take on the matter. I'm sure Caster will continue to get their name out there.

That's exactly it I think if we work at it one day we will get out of the firing range
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ADT1976
I looked at Caster as well and parts are hard to find.
This particular quote baffles me. We have Stormer, Holeshot, and Norcal, and Hobbyplex as pretty big companies who carry our parts and of course, we carry everything at Caster USA that is relevant or important so if you plan on ordering by mail, there are several opportunities available. We are still small enough as a US presence that we still sell direct. We also are in the process of picking up 6 local tracks in the US to carry our products and 3 more online stores. 2 of which are in California.

Ultimately, it is you, the consumer, who has to ask your local hobby store to carry brands, whether it is Caster or anything else. The areas where we are making a presence, we are gaining popularity and those stores are picking us up. I need to make an updated store locations on our page in the near future.

Unfortunately, Modhobby closed during the recession, but they were a pretty good source also at the time.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm going to throw 3 examples out here of "major" manufacturers with significant current problems who are getting a "pass." Two of these I have seen personally (friends running these cars) and one from info picked up on this very forum.

When I say "significant" problems I'm referring to failures that are both not normal and relatively expensive to repair.

Example one: This is from info on RC Tech. Kyosho appears to currently have problems with ring and pinions in their truggies... the fix that folks are suggesting is to use Hot Bodies parts. Hmmm...

Example two: Mugen appears to have problems with the hubs on their CVDs. I have personally been sitting in our pit area "bench racing" when we heard a "piiiiing" and something bounced off the roof of our ez-up and hit my friend. We initially thought some joker was tossing pebbles at us... but no... the CVD hub broke at the cross pin that holds the hub on. My friend repaired that... while he was doing the repair a second one broke. Several of these have failed on his, and another failed on a different friend in the Sportsman A at the RC Pro South round 1 in Austin this past weekend. Both of these guys have been racing a long time, and neither have had this problem with another car, be it from Mugen or anyone else. Experienced folks who know how to build and maintain their cars... Again, Hmmmm...

Example three: Two other local friends changed from O'Donnel for their platform due to problems with ring and pinions. Again, experienced (and in one case at least, sponsored) drivers who KNOW the proper way to build a car, how to shim a ring and pinion properly, with repeated failures. And once more... Hmmmm...

Does this make those manufacturers bad? Nope. They are all 3 "top notch" and deserve their reputation for good quality. They just happen to have a problem that I'm sure will be resolved quickly. I'm in no way trying to "bash" any of those manufacturers... I'd happily run ANY of them, with complete faith in the products quality and support these companies provide.

I simply suggest that we show Caster the same respect... they appear to have fixed the earlier problems and have a better product than was initially the case... so stop beating a dead horse.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree with DOMIT's points, and I'll add one more example.

I drive a Losi truck today, and I run about $150 worth of "durability hop-up's" which....well.... enable me to finish a race without breaking. Off the top of my head:

- modded rear hubs with larger bearings so they don't burn out inside of 45 minutes
- alum inserts for rear diff case, plus still has to be re-shimmed and the diff rebuilt every 2 races, plus about every two months the diff case should be replaced
- 2mm wide front hubs so it doesn't crack wheels
- extended engine mount so it doesn't eat clutch bearings during qualifiers
- Reverted back to the 1.0 servo saver, so it actually works as a servo saver
etc...

The Losi is a great truck, but imagine the posts on rctech if it wasn't a Losi. I think our community would crucify it.

So there is a double standard, but to some extent I do understand the reasoning behind it. It's just the way things go. If I open "Andy's Burger Shack" and start serving kobe beef hamburgers for $1 next to a McDonalds, I'm pretty confident most people are still going to eat at the McDonalds next door until at least 2-3 of their friends and maybe a newspaper say the food is excellent. That doesn't mean my burgers aren't delicious.

There are lots of great rc products out there.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aray

I drive a Losi truck today, and I run about $150 worth of "durability hop-up's" which....well.... enable me to finish a race without breaking. Off the top of my head:

- modded rear hubs with larger bearings so they don't burn out inside of 45 minutes
- alum inserts for rear diff case, plus still has to be re-shimmed and the diff rebuilt every 2 races, plus about every two months the diff case should be replaced
etc...

The Losi is a great truck, but imagine the posts on rctech if it wasn't a Losi. I think our community would crucify it.

So there is a double standard, but to some extent I do understand the reasoning behind it. It's just the way things go. If I open "Andy's Burger Shack" and start serving kobe beef hamburgers for $1 next to a McDonalds, I'm pretty confident most people are still going to eat at the McDonalds next door until at least 2-3 of their friends and maybe a newspaper say the food is excellent. That doesn't mean my burgers aren't delicious.

My point exactly. Lots of bashing from folks who have no experience with the product... "I heard it from a friend who heard it from another friend who saw a youtube video by someone who heard..."
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aray

etc...

I'll agree to that. I have all of those items plus a lot more on my rig. It's a damn tough truck now though.

Truthfully the way it handles on the track makes up for all of that to me.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I'll agree to that. I have all of those items plus a lot more on my rig. It's a damn tough truck now though.

Truthfully the way it handles on the track makes up for all of that to me.