Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
hey,
i recentley picked up a pro 4 in a trade and have a on-road track opening soon. this will be my 1st venture into racing onroad besides my micro when i had a track in my back yard. i will be running on sealed ashfault. not shure how the track will be laid out but what would be a set up to start with?
The Pro4 Hara set up works very nicely out of the box. There are also some setup sheets on the HPI website for asphalt that have good variations. Since you are just starting out, you should probably run the solid axle (spool) in the front as this will give you a bit more control and the option to brake hard if necessary.

Ira
Old 01-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
hey,
i recentley picked up a pro 4 in a trade and have a on-road track opening soon. this will be my 1st venture into racing onroad besides my micro when i had a track in my back yard. i will be running on sealed ashfault. not shure how the track will be laid out but what would be a set up to start with?
Hara's setup from the ROAR NAT's is a great starting point.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

This is kind of off the pro 4 subject but I thought that we alll run Pro 4s someone would help.

I got some used foam tires for carpet racing, which are very sweet. I noticed the outer edge near the rim is glued at a very smooth glassy finish. Which by the way looks very cool. Does anyone know which method they used to do this?
By the way the tires worked great!! I know that glueing the tires takes away from traction.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds interesting.... maybe they dipped the edge in epoxy
Old 01-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kyracer
This is kind of off the pro 4 subject but I thought that we alll run Pro 4s someone would help.

I got some used foam tires for carpet racing, which are very sweet. I noticed the outer edge near the rim is glued at a very smooth glassy finish. Which by the way looks very cool. Does anyone know which method they used to do this?
By the way the tires worked great!! I know that glueing the tires takes away from traction.
interesting...never heard of glueing the edges...
take some pics and post...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

It keeps them from chunking and helps to stop traction rolling
Old 01-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
What? I thought all you guys were carpet racers up there
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeR
What? I thought all you guys were carpet racers up there

most are...me..nope... I only run carpet 1 or 2 time during carpet season.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

i use shoe glue works great we run asphelt no carpet tracks here
Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As promised, here are the pics of my Pro2.5. The left side of the picture (right side of car) is the updated suspension, while the right is original. A few notes- As you can see, with the camber link going into the shock tower, I now have three holes to change the roll center. I had to take a 1/8" drill bit and a hand drill, and make those holes a little bigger. What's more, is that I eliminated a whole globb of mess, removing two hingpins and a big plastic assembly to hold those in place (refer to page 15 of the manual), and replacing a massive tierod with a smaller, lower profile one. However, if you look at the picture of just the updated side, you can see I really had to lengthen that tierod, as the purple ano changes colors. What I'm wondering is, if I lengthened it a bit too much to make it easy to pop off or strip in a hard wreck. Another concern- The hingpin on the Pro2 is slightly thicker than the Pro4, but since I used a Pro4 C-Hub, I had to either mill out the Pro4 hub, or just use the Pro4 hingpin, and accept that some slop will be there. The hingpins are no more than a mm difference in diameter, but do you think that the slop will be significant? It isn't very easy to wiggle the hub and change the caster just by doing that. Obviously, the optimal thing would be to put a Pro4 suspension arm on there, but the places the Pro2 arm attaches to is this assembly that rides under the diff housing. I would have to trim a significant amount off of this piece, and never be able to use a Pro2 arm again. I plan on putting the Pro4 shocks on it sometime this weekend. Just some trivia, the Pro4 assembly is 11mm shorter than the Pro4 assembly. And now I can use 0, 2, 4, or 6 degrees of caster instead of merely 8 or 10.
Any comments, complaints, questions? I could also use some ideas on how to make this more Pro4 like. I tried to transfer the whole bellcrank assembly, but the posts on the Pro2 are quite a bit further apart. Thanks
-Josh
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-img_43532.jpg   Hpi Pro 4-img_43542.jpg   Hpi Pro 4-img_43552.jpg   Hpi Pro 4-img_43562.jpg  
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kyracer

maybe they buffed the glue smooth.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

most are...me..nope... I only run carpet 1 or 2 time during carpet season.
Just as well... I prefer asphalt myself
Old 01-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, this will be my first time into on-road racing, ive got a traxxas bandit that i bash, but would like a good rc car, that comes with most of the stuff needed, (MSC/ESC, Motor, Body, Electronics) is the Pro 4 good for that (seen that it doesnt come with lots of gear) or should i get these:
http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/Std...ookup=LOSA0255 (Not sure if comes with gear)
http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/Std...ookup=ASC30110
(Was looking at that before
or get the cars that the blokes at the track use?

Thats all, any good offers are welcome
Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

buffing the glues? Hmm what polish would you use to smooth out the glue surface?

I have some old foams and will try shoe goo and epoxi on to see the results.
I was thinking epoxi with less harding.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Tech Initiate

and what would be the best ways of getting a faster car...with less money (minus the esc, and motor) would dremelling be good...though i have nevern done that before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.