Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What is your Favorite Airbrush?
Iwata
59.97%
Paashe
16.91%
Badger
14.27%
Other
10.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1254. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

YOUR FAVORITE AIRBRUSH

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pookat
ok, i've found loads of iwata's online.
whats the difference, what do all the letters mean?

i've only used airbrushes with pots screwed on, is there an advantage or disadvantage of gravity fed? do you waste much paint when you change colour?i want to try fine detail like painted headlights but still be able to cover large areas (this is less important).

thanks for your help.
ok this is what i know:

gravity feed is better as it uses less paint, and allows you to spray at lower PSI's. this is vital for what we are spraying (lexan bodies) hi PSI makes the paint splatter

get either the iwata HP B or C plujs. the B has a smaller paint cup compared to the C

i am buying a iwata and i have decided to get the HP CH. it has a pressure control valve on the brush, in my opinion this is great as it allows you to set the compressor at say, 30 psi, and you don't have to lean over to adjust the pressure, just twist your thumb.

go here for more details http://www.arttalk.com/iwata/iwatapromo.htm
Old 01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
wes
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

venom ill tell you one thing is that if you get the hp ch from iwata you might not feel so great after you get it and most of the time airbrushes are non returnable. its a great brush if you dont ever want your paint to spray smooth and want to do only hairlines. i have a paasche VSR 90 that is completely more versatile only costed 55 dollars instead of 200 for the iwata and the paasche actually sprays the paint smoothly and it was way cheaper. with the paasche it comes with 2 needles and a hose too, a nice braided one. in my pick out of both ide go witht he paasche the air adjustment valvue you wont use very much becuase once you know what air setting you need you wont adjust the air pressure any more. i run anywhere from 40 psi with the 1 needle on my paasche and around 45 - 50 with the no 2 and it sprays smooth and butter and i get lines that are hairs for 200 bucks the iwata isnt worth it i was bummed when i first tried mine.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation reply anybody?

Does anybody have a reply for Wes?

I am very close to buying an iwata hp ch, then I read this.
Is there something he did wrong? Was it the airbrush? Painting a whole shell with hairlines won't be very easy!!
Do they occasionally produce a bad tool?
It's quite important to me as I have recommended the same airbrush to a friend after reading this thread.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pookat
Does anybody have a reply for Wes?

I am very close to buying an iwata hp ch, then I read this.
Is there something he did wrong? Was it the airbrush? Painting a whole shell with hairlines won't be very easy!!
Do they occasionally produce a bad tool?
It's quite important to me as I have recommended the same airbrush to a friend after reading this thread.
I believe the iwata hiline brushes (hp-ch for example) have finer tips and a narrower needle. This makes for excellent detail work, but poor for large area spray. It also isn't ideal for thicker paints (like the acryllic fascolor types). The iwata Eclipse line (hp-cs for example) doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the hi-lines (valve control on the brush) but is designed specifically for thicker paints. It has a wider needle and nose, and can do good large area spray (especially true with auto-air paints, which are thinner than fascolor but work just as well).

A hiline is a great brush, but they are pricy, and you'd probably want a cheap brush for large area spray.

I would suggest the eclipse line. It does fine detail work, and costs about half of the hiline. The hi-line is great, but simply not necessary for rc bodies. Sort of like buying a $300 bottle of wine for dinner at Kidd Valley (or insert favorite burger joint here for those out of the seattle area). Sure, it tastes good, but not really necessary or appropriate.

Iwata never produces a bad tool, and they will always be higher in quality to a comparable paasche. It's just using a tool suited for the task.

Don't get hyped up and buy a brush with features you don't need and overlook the ones you do. High end iwata brushes are designed for a different style of airbrushing. If you overlook that, you're going to get a brush that does detail work like no other, but won't do a fill to save your life.

If the detail abilities of the hi-lines are absolutely what you need (or insist you need but don't know better) you should pick up a cheap-o single (or dual) action brush as well to cover the large area fills.

I looked at a hi-line and opted for an eclipse because the eclipse is just better suited for what we do.

Last edited by Kcdzim; 01-02-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
wes
Tech Regular

well it sprays any of the faskolors just fine its just it dosent spray them smooth. you will actually be able to see the paint beads and usually you can adjust that with air pressure but with these brushes more airpressure means less fine of a spray and less controll i found. the paasche vsr 90 is second to none quality, they are definatly made out of different matierial but hey its a different company. i still would sugest the vsr 90 to anyone with 2 different types of needles you basicly have 2 different airbrushes one for fine detail spraying and one for heavy deatail work like the pearl colors.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes
well it sprays any of the faskolors just fine its just it dosent spray them smooth. you will actually be able to see the paint beads and usually you can adjust that with air pressure but with these brushes more airpressure means less fine of a spray and less controll i found. the paasche vsr 90 is second to none quality, they are definatly made out of different matierial but hey its a different company. i still would sugest the vsr 90 to anyone with 2 different types of needles you basicly have 2 different airbrushes one for fine detail spraying and one for heavy deatail work like the pearl colors.
Ummm.... in EVERY airbrush, more pressure results in a spray that's not as fine, and definately less control. You shouldn't need to spray at more than 30 psi with an iwata, and for detail work, about half that.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:33 PM
wes
Tech Regular

well you must have never tried anything else than an iwata. i spray anywhere from 35- 55 psi with my vsr90 and i get hairlines from 3 inches from what im painting and absolute controll just take a look at SIR what ive painted and ask people how it looks you might think twice about that iwata
Old 01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes
well you must have never tried anything else than an iwata. i spray anywhere from 35- 55 psi with my vsr90 and i get hairlines from 3 inches from what im painting and absolute controll just take a look at SIR what ive painted and ask people how it looks you might think twice about that iwata
I've got a badger too. Same issues arise. You get better control with less pressure. I mean, you can use higher pressure, but that's pulling more paint into the brush, which requires more control on the button.

However, I don't know whether the vsr is designed for the thicker acryllics specifically (like the eclipse) and it might be that a higher pressure at the hose is necessary to provide a high enough drop in pressure through the brush to pull paint in. Also, is the vsr siphon fed? My eclipse is gravity fed, so it doesn't need as much pressure to load the brush. My badger is siphon though, and I've always been able to get excellent spray (for a badger) at 25 - 35 psi.

I'd think the same scientific principle will arise. Higher pressure at the compressor = faster air through the hose = equals lower pressure at the paint pickup = more paint in the brush = more paint out the nozzle, at a higher speed.

But, maybe the internal workings of the paasche necessitate a higher operating pressure for the same results as a badger or iwata. That I wouldn't know.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 PM
wes
Tech Regular

vsr 90 is a brush made for painting fingernails. its gravity fed its also made for laqures but ive gotten faskolors to work with almost no probs. i think it has a 10 to 1 air ratio too so you arent getting the full 30 psi, but i did notice one different between paasche and iwata is the aircaps. the paasches aircaps are smooth and get smaller smoothly and in the iwata they start out pretty big and then all the sudden curve in, it seems like the air isnt really sliding smoothly off the needle in the iwata thats prabably where all the no clogging comes from if not very much air is hitting the needle how will the paint dry. but who knows maybe its just that nutty design they have going on.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Just want to say an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed can produce fine lines. I did this yesterday testing some color combos out. Sample size is about the size of a T-maxx sized body side between the wheelwells.

This was shot at 35-40 psi with both createx and fascolor.
Attached Thumbnails YOUR FAVORITE AIRBRUSH-100_2613-2-3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacktiger355
Just want to say an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed can produce fine lines. I did this yesterday testing some color combos out. Sample size is about the size of a T-maxx sized body side between the wheelwells.

This was shot at 35-40 psi with both createx and fascolor.
so everyone knows, what kind of paint were you using?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
so everyone knows, what kind of paint were you using?
either you edited that post afterwards with paint and psi info, or else I'm dumb. but thanks either way!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

LOL, Yeah I edited it. Right after I first posted it. You must of been reading it as I was editing it.. LOL
Old 01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

What about the Aztek air brush, has anyone had experience with them.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I love to paint and would like to get a airbrush what would you say would be a good newb airbrush for a decent price?

i have a compressor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.