Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Atomic VM2 M-Class Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xenite400bhp
Since my stock rear Ball Diff is damage, can i change it with the spec-r t2 gear diff?

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=214
Atomic has a gear diff for the car. It looks like Spec R made it.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

There's a specific Spec-R gear diff for the VM2. I've just ordered another one for the front end
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the link guys.. my stock rear ball diff doesnt work anymore..it slips easily..i might change to the gear diff after this.

Btw, Ghiro..are you planing to put the gear diff for front and rear? if it works..can u post a pic.. i might do the same thing.

Thanks..
Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

I have the gear diff in the back with 1000 wt oil. No slip. Works good. Watch for leakage through the outdrives.

I have one for the front but waiting for ghiro to tell us what a good oil wt to use.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

One think i find out about the stock ball differentiall is the weakness of the main screw, if fully tightened to use on the front end it's prone to break, the matherial is weak. My front gear diff will use cleaning putty instead of oil, the differential is on it's way, should be here within the incoming week.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ghiro
One think i find out about the stock ball differentiall is the weakness of the main screw, if fully tightened to use on the front end it's prone to break, the matherial is weak. My front gear diff will use cleaning putty instead of oil, the differential is on it's way, should be here within the incoming week.
Yes..i agree with you..the material is weak.. the screw doesn't really lock to the nut makes it easy to slip..at first i thought i build it wrongly then after the post mortem..i found the screw had damage.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Today i've tried to replace the main diff.l screw with a TC6 diff one but it doesn't fit because of the pressure bearing internal diameter. . . need to find a replacement one beside the original
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Ghiro..i manage to solve the weak screw problem for the stock rear ball diff.. I put a drop of Super strong glue(cheap DIY stuff) to the nut and wait until it half dry.. and screw it to the nut. Now the ball diff is tight and it doesn't slip any more. yes. but i have to test drive it to see whether it can last long or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Xenite: the problem relies to the matherial the screw is made of, in my case the car made few meters and while running the first large curve, in the middle of an 180degrees turn the front end went free, when i put the car on the bench to see what happened i found out the screw split in two pieces, at the very beginning of the bolt the crack was visible and the matherial inside looket brittle, i believe a cure based upon glue, as strong as it could be, it doesn't solve the issue. I've already ordered a coupple of diff.l screws for spare, one of those will be tempered at something like 900/1000 Celsius, i hope it wont brake while heating it up or cooling it down, we'll see after the treatment if it gets harder, in the meanwhile i'm looking for some steel replacement screw. I do not really like the idea of running a front gear diff.l with putty, i know it wont last long even with a boosted 10.5T.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anyone else have any trouble buying a VM-II throught HKS Hobby in the last week?

I ordered one - got told they only had the upgraded version (fine by me!) after I'd ordered and paid on the website, and since that first email - haven't heard back from them since.

I've sent 3 emails in the last 6 days trying to find out what's going on - still nothing!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NT
Anyone else have any trouble buying a VM-II throught HKS Hobby in the last week?

I ordered one - got told they only had the upgraded version (fine by me!) after I'd ordered and paid on the website, and since that first email - haven't heard back from them since.

I've sent 3 emails in the last 6 days trying to find out what's going on - still nothing!
They seem to be a bit slow. I have locals that experience the same thing. Try to get a hold of forum member HKS Hobby

Pm sent
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

How tight are you guys tightening your ball diffs for the screw to break? Don't you want the diff just tight enough not to slip? Roughing up the plates and using ceramic diff balls helps a lot in getting a diff that won't slip.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

In my case i use the ball diff on the front so i want it tighter than how it's required in the rear end. I've ordered some ceramic balls and sanded the diff plates: i keep testing but i start to believe i'm better go back to spool, looking for something stronger than the stock one. Any advice?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am running the front one way. It seems plenty beefy.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

I did a test run yesterday at the park near my house. the ball diff seems ok, but i didn't pull the trigger to the full throttle. Tmrrw i'm going the track n see how it performs.. hopefully the ball diff doesn't slip or break like what happen to ghiro..

ghiro..hows your gear diff? do you have any pic to share?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.