Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I won today on MOD class at our club race but MMP is not as smooth on MOD as on my 13.5T. Power delivery is not smooth as I want it to be their is slight stuttering and an instant burst in power being delivered to the motor it's pretty handfull driving the car and keeping my lap time consistent...

I have it on Sensored Only Mode with ZERO degree timing with Novak Ballistic 4.5T.

I tried running it on CHEAT MODE with 26 degree timing and it's a lot worst to drive the car is un-drivable due to too much power....
Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
I won today on MOD class at our club race but MMP is not as smooth on MOD as on my 13.5T. Power delivery is not smooth as I want it to be their is slight stuttering and an instant burst in power being delivered to the motor it's pretty handfull driving the car and keeping my lap time consistent...

I have it on Sensored Only Mode with ZERO degree timing with Novak Ballistic 4.5T.

I tried running it on CHEAT MODE with 26 degree timing and it's a lot worst to drive the car is un-drivable due to too much power....

Turn your start power up (if it is not already), and try 10-20% punch control. The start power should help it get rolling better, and the punch control should smooth out the bottom end a bit
Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I too tried different setups with a mod motor. As already said, Smartsense seems very slow. It seems a common problem with these new rpm based timing advance ESC's is drive-ability. When getting back on the throttle after easing off or coasting, the car gets very unsettled. In the end I found no match to the smoothness of my Team Wave RB50. It is the smoothest ESC I have ever driven and its turbo gives great top end.

Its a shame that an ESC that has such a high power rating, can't be fast and smooth in Mod. It does seem a match for Tekin in Spec though.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

I got the punch Control at 25% and even tried as high as 40% but I loose my bottom end big time.... Well I guess this will not be my MOD ESC too much power... With Smart sense mode man it was slow...

I did better with my GTB last race way a lot smoother I can ram on the throttle without breaking the rear end of the car loose...

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Turn your start power up (if it is not already), and try 10-20% punch control. The start power should help it get rolling better, and the punch control should smooth out the bottom end a bit
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
I too tried different setups with a mod motor. As already said, Smartsense seems very slow. It seems a common problem with these new rpm based timing advance ESC's is drive-ability. When getting back on the throttle after easing off or coasting, the car gets very unsettled. In the end I found no match to the smoothness of my Team Wave RB50. It is the smoothest ESC I have ever driven and its turbo gives great top end.

Its a shame that an ESC that has such a high power rating, can't be fast and smooth in Mod. It does seem a match for Tekin in Spec though.
I would have to agree with you Pablo. Even in 10.5, I cannot get the car smooth on the infield with a lot of timing in cheat mode, as the esc has a lump when the timing starts initially at low throttle. To prove the point, when I rev the car gently upto speed I can hear the jump in revs at low speed, which is in turn pushing the car wide, even at 30% throttle.

I've been experimenting for a while, trying to get the car fast down the straight on an indoor track, but have the infield drivability, and I just haven't found it still. No disrespect to Castle Creations though, as i'm sure they'll have a better firmware update in future. I'm also hoping the high speed brakes are more responsive in the future, as theres a definate lag in the brakes.

I've been used to an LRP SPX which was so smooth on the infield, with its gentle timing increase through the revrange. I have tried to cure the problem by trying unusually long rev ranges with the Mamba, but its still harsh. I can get the esc to run smoother, but at the expense of turning the timing right down. The pity is, the thing is an absolute monster in power, but I just cannot use it.

My next experiment will be running at a much Lower FDR, as it will give the car a much wider powerband. I'm using a Novak 10.5ss (full motor timing also) at 8.50 and i'm sure the added fact that the sharp power band is not helping the response at low speed. I'm basically running the car 2 feet wider everywhere, which is dropping me from Mid A finals to Mid Bs, even with the banzai straightline speed. (half a second lost a lap approx.) I've also spotted that advancing the motor from neutral to full caused the timing surge from the esc to be grossly exaggerated, so i've put the motor back to stock timing. Hopefully, I can retain the straightline speed and regain driveability in the infield.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

maxg i think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments on the mmp. its a bit of an animal and castle need to work a little on the driveability as they seem to have great power and punch. not raced mine in 13.5 at my local track aldershot yet so cannot really compare laptimes with GM120's which seem the ESC of choice in the UK at the moment. as the Tekin RS is out of stock everywhere and nearly double the price of the MMP!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

What kind of switch are people replacing theres with ?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxg123456
I would have to agree with you Pablo. Even in 10.5, I cannot get the car smooth on the infield with a lot of timing in cheat mode, as the esc has a lump when the timing starts initially at low throttle. To prove the point, when I rev the car gently upto speed I can hear the jump in revs at low speed, which is in turn pushing the car wide, even at 30% throttle.

I've been experimenting for a while, trying to get the car fast down the straight on an indoor track, but have the infield drivability, and I just haven't found it still. No disrespect to Castle Creations though, as i'm sure they'll have a better firmware update in future. I'm also hoping the high speed brakes are more responsive in the future, as theres a definate lag in the brakes.

I've been used to an LRP SPX which was so smooth on the infield, with its gentle timing increase through the revrange. I have tried to cure the problem by trying unusually long rev ranges with the Mamba, but its still harsh. I can get the esc to run smoother, but at the expense of turning the timing right down. The pity is, the thing is an absolute monster in power, but I just cannot use it.

My next experiment will be running at a much Lower FDR, as it will give the car a much wider powerband. I'm using a Novak 10.5ss (full motor timing also) at 8.50 and i'm sure the added fact that the sharp power band is not helping the response at low speed. I'm basically running the car 2 feet wider everywhere, which is dropping me from Mid A finals to Mid Bs, even with the banzai straightline speed. (half a second lost a lap approx.) I've also spotted that advancing the motor from neutral to full caused the timing surge from the esc to be grossly exaggerated, so i've put the motor back to stock timing. Hopefully, I can retain the straightline speed and regain driveability in the infield.
Originally Posted by whoopass
maxg i think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments on the mmp. its a bit of an animal and castle need to work a little on the driveability as they seem to have great power and punch. not raced mine in 13.5 at my local track aldershot yet so cannot really compare laptimes with GM120's which seem the ESC of choice in the UK at the moment. as the Tekin RS is out of stock everywhere and nearly double the price of the MMP!
Its not just the MMP having these problems. The most popular spec ESC is also sacrificing some driveability to get the power it has.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
What kind of switch are people replacing theres with ?
I have taken to soldering across the terminals on the board. Really no need for a switch. The only car that still has the switch is the one in my 1/8 scale buggy. But both my 1/10 scale buggy and my touring car have no switch. I also shortened radio lead as castle give you like 8 inches. Way too much for a touring car. Now if the thing just came with solder posts for the battery and motor it would be great.

To all the people running this thing in mod and not liking the power control, have you played with the throttle curves at all. I know running my B44 in open mod it took me quite a while to figure out a good throttle curve that gave me plenty of power but would not just break the tires loose at the drop of a hat.
The nice part is you can change the curve and then save it. So if you get a curve that works really well in one condition, you can recall it with relative ease through the software.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Its not just the MMP having these problems. The most popular spec ESC is also sacrificing some driveability to get the power it has.
I, and many others in my area, are using these speedo's from mod to 17.5 onroad TC, and find them to be very smooth once you play with the throttle curve. The curve is your best friend, you can get this speedo to be aggressive or as smooth as you want.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

I'll keep on my SPEC Car... I just purchase an LRP SXX TC for Mod class...
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
I, and many others in my area, are using these speedo's from mod to 17.5 onroad TC, and find them to be very smooth once you play with the throttle curve. The curve is your best friend, you can get this speedo to be aggressive or as smooth as you want.
If you want to get the max out of the Mamba on the straights at the moment, you can use the throttle curve to loose the initial aggression, however it will simply surge the timing in a bit later on in the throttle. It doesn't really cure the problem. In fact, it lags the throttle. If I turn down the timing on the motor, the timing surge is much better, but I loose a lot of the top speed with my Novak 10.5ss.

I will give it another go this week with a lower FDR to around 6.15, instead of 8.50, to try and calm down the huge acceleration from low to mid throttle. This thing has tons of potencial, as its got outright torque and top speed, but has a surge in power just after it pulls away. I can understand why theres a lot of people raving about the punch this thing has.

I can imagine an X12 with its lot of built in power working well together with this Mamba, with the motor timing retarded, as the timing start range will be much more progressive and have less of a surge. I'm thinking the Novak is not the best choice of motor to run with this esc, as the Novak needs a lot of timing on the motor to get it to run fast down the straight, and in turn ramps up the timing very agressively in combo with esc timing.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

MMP with higher turn motor 13.5 or 17.5 this ESC is smooth but with the power of modified motor is putting out together with MMP is un-drivable.

What maxg123456 is stating the power surge when the timing kicks-in it will
un-settles the car big time and I never over shoot every freeking corner that much since last race using a MMP.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Jochim is it possible that you have the RPM where the CHEAT mode engage the timing in the infield zone of the track where you need more control?

It happened to me. I changed the RPM and it was ok. I was experiencing that with a small touch in the throtle the car was going out the curve because to much power aplied to the wheels.

Can move the engage RPM to an ealier or later stage.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

I got the CHEAT MODE disabled so RPM is disabled too... I tried playing with the RPM with very little timing but I just don't like the way the throttle is applied on MODIFIED MOTOR... I'm pretty smooth on the throttle but this ESC is just way to aggressive for mod..

I have been driving mod for years but never had an ESC this aggressive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.