Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together? >

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DraftDriver
What do nitro guys think about putting in a larger gas tank?
That's not the issue in my area. But Admin_X is describing exactly what we've been seeing at the club races. If the electric drivers completely blow the driving line by overshooting, they can stand on the throttle and still make the jumps that would not be possible with a nitro car.

Our track is set-up to carry speed from one corner to the next so that you have to have good driving lines to make the next section. It helps a TON to develop your driving skill. If you mess up a section precious time is lost. However with the electric cars there is no worry about losing lap time here. The electric cars can get to top speed quicker after messing up a corner and somehow not lose time. The recovery to get back on pace is almost instant for an electric car. With a nitro car it takes one or two corners to get back on pace.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. I'm simply pointing out the results seen every weekend for the last couple of months on our area.

We run electric and nitro together when there is less than 4 electric racers. The electric guys come in for one 4-5 second pit in a 15 minute main. Those 4-5 seconds are more than made up for during the race though.

There is an advantage to electric. That's why it's so badass right? Nitros have problems, electrics have problems. But the power from electric is just above and beyond any nitro engine--for the whole rpm range. Plus our track is run what you brung so the electrics are not geared down close to what the nitros are. And if they were geared down it would be hard to tell cause they're near top speed about 60% sooner than a nitro car. Sixty percent might be an exaggeration but not much.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When it comes to racing them together or separate. I think they should run them separate is there enough cars for both nitro and electric to do so. If one class doesn't have enough entries run them together.

I do agree that in a 15 minute main there should be a mandatory pit stop. I do agree electric should have to take reverse out (We have to do that in all electric classes anyways at our club so that is totally expected).

For there being an advantage for either a nitro or electric. They both have there plus and minus's. I have both a Nitro and Electric, yes I can get up to speed way quicker with my electric, but I notice I have to break way early due to not having a break bias and having to setup for the corner more. The electric may have more power. But there is a limit to what you can actually put down to the track and make usable. It's not like I just get out of a corner and hammer on the throttle with my electric. Where with my nitro's I can actually get in the throttle. Electric's may not flame out. But that doesn't mean they don't have any problems.

Thats just my personal opinion on the subject and I not looking to argue or completely shut down a person's opinion on the subject. I am sure what most people say here are not going to change your opinion on the matter. At the end of the day I feel if there is enough to run them separate run them separate, but if there isn't run them together. I don`t think anybody should not be aloud to race because they want to drive an electric over a nitro.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Wink

easy if you what to run nitro with electric just run the race for 20mins

the electric cars will run out of powere and allow the nitro cars to catch up
plus it would take 2 or so mins for a pit crew to change the bats in a 1.8 brushless and it takes 10 secs for a nitro car to refuel give the nitro cars an adventage in the pits and give the electric guys an advantage on the track.

plus it would be funny to see one of the elctric guys yelling and screaming because they don't have any bats left.

make me lol
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

[QUOTE=air8;6131619]That's not the issue in my area. But Admin_X is describing exactly what we've been seeing at the club races. If the electric drivers completely blow the driving line by overshooting, they can stand on the throttle and still make the jumps that would not be possible with a nitro car.
QUOTE]

To your point about overshooting, the 1/8 electric market is in its infancy and for the most part so are many of the 1/8 drivers. I never owned a 1/8 scale until this year ( thank you AE for the SC8e) and the 1/8 scale trucks do drive a bit different than 1/10 scale trucks. In another two years the issue your seeing (for which I see as well at times) will somewhat level out.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Electrics should run in an electric class !!!!!!!!!! I would never try to run a gt2 in an electric stadium truck class. Its no different !!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Buy a vehicle there is a class for if you want to race is all I can say. I had to. I started running dirt oval a few years ago and although my favorite class was 4wd electric late-model there was not a class for one so my car sat on the shelf and I bought a sprint car so I could race. Eventually enough people built a late model and I got to race it also. The nitro racers should have the say when it comes to this issue. If they dont care at your track then go for it. After all its a nitro class. It should take 100% of the racers to agree on it. No less.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

The issue really isnt about which one is faster or has the advantage. The issue is they are 2 different cars all together. You wouldnt race a pancar with a touring car.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

no mixed classes regardless of power - I have yet to see electric that is faster on the track....
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I know most will disagree but the way I look at it, put them all in one class. No you would not race a pan car with a touring car, but 1/8 buggy is 1/8 buggy.

If the nitros are lagging behind, then go back to R&D and start improving the nitro engine design.

Instead, something faster comes out, and Nitro guys want their own category where they can still remain slow (in comparison to the new stuff)

hey, just my opinion (I am a Nitro guy for the most part)
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Mix away, there are not enough electrics to run a class most of the time. Electrics will and can pit to make things equal! It's a new class so let the mix happen and before long others will follow. Run 20 min.... I like that! I think that if there are more than 6 electrics then have a class just for them! I like alot of cars on the track at the same time! FUNNNNNNNN!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by spawn_x
I know most will disagree but the way I look at it, put them all in one class. No you would not race a pan car with a touring car, but 1/8 buggy is 1/8 buggy.

If the nitros are lagging behind, then go back to R&D and start improving the nitro engine design.

Instead, something faster comes out, and Nitro guys want their own category where they can still remain slow (in comparison to the new stuff)

hey, just my opinion (I am a Nitro guy for the most part)
electric is not faster on the track! so what are you talking about?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domo3
electric is not faster on the track! so what are you talking about?
I am going by the many posts of everyone else saying electrics are faster because you are at max power quicker, anyway that seems to be why the nitro guys don't want to race in the same class as electrics

I just say put 1/8 buggy in one class, let drivers and engine developers duke it out
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Most of you guys must not race much or even look at lap times. The electric car doesnt have to win the race to prove its faster. My whole argument is that a less than steller driver can enhance their results because electric offers more breathing room for errors due to the powerplant and tuning.

Get off the keyboard and get to a racetrack.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

electric has evolved, nitro hasn't.... yet?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Most of you guys must not race much or even look at lap times. The electric car doesnt have to win the race to prove its faster. My whole argument is that a less than steller driver can enhance their results because electric offers more breathing room for errors due to the powerplant and tuning.

Get off the keyboard and get to a racetrack.
Sorry, I just don't see it. At several of the larger racers were TOP drivers raced both electric and nitro, I can only think of one where the electric was hands down faster. I believe at a jconcepts race Maifield was a 1 sec faster in electric than nitro. But at the other races, the nitros seem to be a little faster - silver state, nitro pit, etc.

Again, the low end power advantage that electric has can be easily outweighed by the lack of traction, lack of brake bias, and the cars being unbalanced. Right now, there really isn't a purpose built electric, all are using nitro geometry and setups and we give up some of the handling imho.

Once manufacturers do some real R&D and design a true purpose built electric, I do think the electrics will be faster for the reasons you mention, but right now, I just don't see it.

I don't see why it is acceptable for Joe Factory driver to race with prototype tires, prototype parts, engines tuned out the wazoo against guys with RTR mills and bald tires, but an electric power plant is all of a sudden unfair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.