Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fastforward
Another question

Will the stock IGT run on 30% fuel. I am having tuning difficulties and wondering if 20% fuel would be a step in the right direction.

Also, when the motor gets hot it will not restart. Any suggestions?
I had many engine problems when I was running 30%. I tried shimming the engine but it became very difficult to tune when shims were added. I dropped back to 20% and the problems all went away with no loss in performance.

Lee
Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

mating IGT's..... I think that this is where mini inferno's come from...
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-web.jpg  
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the kind words on the Robitronic car. It was a rush job. I had to redo the 2 speed on Friday and left home on the 3 hour journey Sat. morning. I arrived in time to get 1 lap in before the track was closed down to start qualifying. That was enough to tell me I was 'hosed' on tire choice. All I had with me was some losi/grp tires that were drift tires on the Toledo track. They seem to work relatively well on unprepped road sufaces. Changed the set-up for the first round and sauced the tires...still not too good, but driveable. Got some OFNA radials from Rick and traction was good enough from then on. A screw that connects the tie rod to the drag link fell out in the last round, to kill chances at TQ. Car was starting to work pretty well though. Had a pretty comfy lead in the main when the steering servo quit working... Oh well! Still ended up 3rd even though I was off-track for the last minute or 2.
With the addition of the Duratrax Raze GT and the Robitronics car, the class just gets better! While I don't know for sure, I do expect that both will hit the market.
Considering the complete lack of development time, no practice on the track, etc. I was pleased with the cars performance. The only run time prior to arriving at Toledo, was engine break in perfomed on a road.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Will the inferno GT2 be able to run in the same class as the standard inferno GT, ofna GT and the newer cars from duratrax and robitronics?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
Will the inferno GT2 be able to run in the same class as the standard inferno GT, ofna GT and the newer cars from duratrax and robitronics?
Yes. If I am not mistaken, the GT2 will replace the current GT. The price may go up some, but should still be in line with the others mentioned. Unless it is priced well above current cars, it will be allowed in the MWS. OFNA GTP is now a GTP2. It is still in the same price range.
My main concern is keeping prices under control. At the GLC, one of the cars was a DM1 with a Ninja engine installed (don't know if it was buggy or on-road version, but either way it's pricey). His rig cost at least twice that of the other cars! Suppose he were dominating the race? An onlooker inquires as to cost of a car to compete in this class... Well, the winner has about a grand wrapped up in his.. and the prospective racer turns and walks away.
Another racer had an Italian on-road mill in his GTP. He blew by me on the straight like I was standing still. I drove by the carnage in the sweeper, but you get the idea. It didn't help him, but, if he were to win... same story as the other guy.
So, yes the GT2 will be run with the rest, UNLESS the price is elevated too much.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Great!... Thank you!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, if the IGT2 and IGT are allowed to run together, there will have to be one rule change. The IGT2 has a 150cc fuel tank while the current IGT only has a 125cc fuel tank, giving the IGT2 a slight advantage in run time. You will have to allow the current IGT to upgrade to the 150cc tank or you would not be able to fairly run the two cars together.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

The bigger tank is cheap and drops right in the IGT.
I am working on next years GT class rules, and 150cc tank will be the max size. It is the standard in Truggy class and appropriate for .28 engine vehicles.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 322 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I had many engine problems when I was running 30%. I tried shimming the engine but it became very difficult to tune when shims were added. I dropped back to 20% and the problems all went away with no loss in performance.

Lee
Seems like you've had a lot of experience with the GT cars. Is it normal that the wheels would spin at idle? I thought the clutch was engaging early. I tried to replace the needle bearings but it's still doing it. Is this normal? I'm using the stock engine and setup. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcdoktor2
Seems like you've had a lot of experience with the GT cars. Is it normal that the wheels would spin at idle? I thought the clutch was engaging early. I tried to replace the needle bearings but it's still doing it. Is this normal? I'm using the stock engine and setup. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
The clutch does engage early and if the car is off the ground the wheels will spin. This can be partially controlled by getting the idle RPM correct. Wheels spinning on a car off of the ground is a characteristic of this car.

Lee
Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Yes, it is normal and actually doesn't matter in onroad. In offroad it would be an issue because of the jumps, but here it is not.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed
This is what we call a "Clean Pass"

Lee
Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
This is what we call a "Clean Pass"

Lee
Paul & I can get nasty out there
Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
mating IGT's..... I think that this is where mini inferno's come from...

That's all we need a "Mini-Inferno GT"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.