Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACE servos.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ACE servos.....HELP!

Hey guy's, just got my ace servos this morning and have found that the servo horns that were supplied with my d8 kit don't fit apart from the futaba horn but that has a slight amount of movement around the splines when fitted! I do have the original horn but the holes on this for the throttle and brake are smaller than that of the d8 horns! What are you guy's doing with your ace servos? I assume it's the same problem throughout all kits and these servos? Should i try and pack out the splines to remove the movement with the d8 horn or should i use the original and drill out the holes?

thanks-Hugh
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

sure, why not drilling out those holes?
those ace servo horns are well capable of fulfilling their duty.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Ace servos use futaba horns so the futaba style horns that came with your kit should fit.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by way2fastrcz
Ace servos use futaba horns so the futaba style horns that came with your kit should fit.
the futaba horn does fit but there is a small amount of movement between the splines on this one. I have read that other people are having the same problem. -Hugh
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Drill out the holes from the ACE servo. They are great.

Your Futaba horn from your kit may be a little worn. I have never had play with a futaba style horn for my ace. No matter where the horn came from.

BTW. Enjoy the servo, they are excellent.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RickBac
Drill out the holes from the ACE servo. They are great.

Your Futaba horn from your kit may be a little worn. I have never had play with a futaba style horn for my ace. No matter where the horn came from.

BTW. Enjoy the servo, they are excellent.

yeah i think drilling is the way to go on this one! The kit is nw so i hope it's not worn
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hugh_b
yeah i think drilling is the way to go on this one! The kit is nw so i hope it's not worn
I have the AE servos in my RC8 and RC8T and they use the Futaba horns as well. What I did was use a new X-acto blade and open the whole just a little bit so the screw was grabbing as much of the plastic as it could.

Hope that helps

Later
Kevin
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Drill out the holes.

The Ace arm is strong.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guy's, i have now drilled the ace horn and it seems to be working great! I have fiddled with the end point adjustments as the brake linkage rods were hitting the tank when the throttle was held wide open but i guess i can't adjust this properly until my engine is fitted. What should i be looking for when adjusting endpoints? I understand that the car needs to open fully and i'm guessing that's as far as you want it to go, how should i adjust endpoints for brakes and steering? thanks-Hugh
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

For adjusting EPA on throttle I remove the air filter from the carb body and adjust EPA til the carb slide clears the opening. For brakes, depends on your driving style, but I like my vehicles to have a little rear brake bias. Hold the rear end of your car up while front tires on ground and engage the brakes. Check to see if you can still move/push the car while in full brakes. If you can't then the front brakes are locking up the wheels. I would adjust the front brake thumb wheel til you get a slight amount of movement when pushed. Do the same for the rear. As for steering I leave my car on a table or anything smooth and slowing crank the steering wheel in either direction. When your tires stops moving thats where the max epa should be set. If your tires are stopped and your steering servo is still moving then you have too much epa for the direction. When you are going too far in your epa setting the servos will let you know, cus they will start making a buzzing sound. That just mean they are over-working and your putting too much stress on them.