Community
Wiki Posts
Search

''Slow-Mo'' racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YellowClip
You are welcome! That race winner, the one with the green-white car, still holds the record for the best result. There have been 10 races after that race, with 11-th this Sunday. I will propose a minimum weight rule for next year, let's say 1500g.
What changes should we do with the cars?
I am not sure what you would like to achieve.

If the physical speed is limited, then all you can do is make sure you get as close as possible to that.

The strategy is simple then: keep momentum, find the shortest way around the track.

There are factors that will hold you back (already mentioned - weight, lines, tyres, ), but I think it is most important you don't open some covert battle, hence the need for a weight limit and perhaps spec tyre.

Weight limit is easy to enforce, spec tyre not so much. The problem with that is that you need to find a tyre easy to supply for your club, perhaps sell it through the club, or have some shop bring it for your club only. I guess this is where a track side shop comes in handy.

Some of our club members simply shouldered the effort and became importers.

That means whenever we have supply problems, we have to skip boat and run something else and on it goes. I think we changed tyres quite a few times now, and that's that.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Tech Initiate

This class is made to be simple for the new hobbists. I will tomorrow offer rule changes for next year. I think it would be best to make those rules, minimum weight and spec tires, appliable only in the A-final.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also concur with the minimum weight requirement. I'm not so sure only applying the rule to the A main is such a good idea, as people may run a light car during qualifying to get a better chance at making the final, then add the weight for the final. I guess you can be a bit more relaxed about enforcing it, but it should still be a rule. Spec tires may be a challenge if you allow any car to run, as some cars require different wheels (eg pan car, buggy). Maybe just requiring rubber tires would be sufficient.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I also concur with the minimum weight requirement. I'm not so sure only applying the rule to the A main is such a good idea, as people may run a light car during qualifying to get a better chance at making the final, then add the weight for the final. I guess you can be a bit more relaxed about enforcing it, but it should still be a rule. Spec tires may be a challenge if you allow any car to run, as some cars require different wheels (eg pan car, buggy). Maybe just requiring rubber tires would be sufficient.
The reason we haven't had a tire rule is because new comers want tires that last, aka foam, and the top drivers want rubber, because they are more consistent. The only tires being brought in by a hobby store are LRP CPX V2, which are cheaper but need 100 laps of drive-in, and GRP tires, which are a bit expensiver. There is also a way of bringing in Volante tires, but they are more expensive and it is a one-man reseller of a finnish store and doesn't order in advance.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Initiate

We had the second to last race of the season last Sunday. I myself qualified 3rd, finished 1st. Currently locked my 2nd place in the season overall.
I suggested to make some rule changes for next season, but people thought it would make things complicated. So I suggested to make an another class with more narrow rules and with 25 km/h top speed. People who can race this class are last seasons ''Slow-Mo'' overall top 10 and others can enter with an invitation. This class will be discussed at the final race of the season, after christmas.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YellowClip
We had the second to last race of the season last Sunday. I myself qualified 3rd, finished 1st. Currently locked my 2nd place in the season overall.
I suggested to make some rule changes for next season, but people thought it would make things complicated. So I suggested to make an another class with more narrow rules and with 25 km/h top speed. People who can race this class are last seasons ''Slow-Mo'' overall top 10 and others can enter with an invitation. This class will be discussed at the final race of the season, after christmas.
The last thing you want to do is fracture a class into two. That's how good classes die.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The last thing you want to do is fracture a class into two. That's how good classes die.
The Pro-Mo class is still in discussion. The plan isn't to fractue a class, but to offer an improved class for the experienced ones, as it can be entered only be invitation. The Slow-Mo class is and will be the main class.