Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I started with 76/31 (6.325 FDR) and settled with 71/31. I might go to 71/30 because it is a pretty tight layout. The car had plenty of punch with 71/31.

I have run my D4 1s in the B5M too and I think I may see a difference too with the KF2 running a little warmer. I think this is primarily due to the complete lack of airflow over the motor on the KF2 because it is completely enclosed by the body. On the B5M a lot of the motor is exposed and there is airflow over it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

I went to the track today to test the car out in stock trim. In the past, before the MM conversion, the car was not very competitive because it just could not generate the traction (mostly forward bite) on the surface I'm running it on. It felt sluggish and had difficulty clearing jumps that my B5M had no issues with at all.

That has now changed entirely. The car was fantastic today. The track was quite down on traction and rather dry so out came the Electrons. I did not feel like I was lacking for traction anywhere on the track and in fact I ended up moving the front shocks back in one hole on the tower from the one furthest out because the car was pushing on corner entry. I got some steering back and didn't have any off-power loose problems. I will probably go to the center hole and see if I can get even more steering without being loose.

After that adjustment and playing with gearing I ended up running some very consistent laps that were within 1-1.5s of the fastest guys at our track from the previous night's club race. The traction is a lot better on race nights as the track is consistently watered so I felt pretty good about the results relatively speaking.

So between the forward bite gained from the MM conversion and the extra zip I am seeing with the MIP puck drive / slipper weight loss program I feel like I have a car that is going to be very competitive in stock. It was really cool to see this car do what I always knew it was capable of today.

I am confident enough now with the car on lower grip that I am going to give it the ultimate test next weekend at a race in Michigan sponsored by our own DiscountRC. The track for the West Side Nationals is an outdoor hard-packed dirt track. I actually haven't run there but I know it is going to be much lower grip than anything I have run the KF2 on before. I am not really sure what to expect or if the car is even going to do well but based on what I have seen so far I am feeling pretty good about it.

At this point I am pretty much all-in on the KF2 with the MM conversion. How are those of you who have installed it doing with it?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
I went to the track today to test the car out in stock trim. In the past, before the MM conversion, the car was not very competitive because it just could not generate the traction (mostly forward bite) on the surface I'm running it on. It felt sluggish and had difficulty clearing jumps that my B5M had no issues with at all.

That has now changed entirely. The car was fantastic today. The track was quite down on traction and rather dry so out came the Electrons. I did not feel like I was lacking for traction anywhere on the track and in fact I ended up moving the front shocks back in one hole on the tower from the one furthest out because the car was pushing on corner entry. I got some steering back and didn't have any off-power loose problems. I will probably go to the center hole and see if I can get even more steering without being loose.

After that adjustment and playing with gearing I ended up running some very consistent laps that were within 1-1.5s of the fastest guys at our track from the previous night's club race. The traction is a lot better on race nights as the track is consistently watered so I felt pretty good about the results relatively speaking.

So between the forward bite gained from the MM conversion and the extra zip I am seeing with the MIP puck drive / slipper weight loss program I feel like I have a car that is going to be very competitive in stock. It was really cool to see this car do what I always knew it was capable of today.

I am confident enough now with the car on lower grip that I am going to give it the ultimate test next weekend at a race in Michigan sponsored by our own DiscountRC. The track for the West Side Nationals is an outdoor hard-packed dirt track. I actually haven't run there but I know it is going to be much lower grip than anything I have run the KF2 on before. I am not really sure what to expect or if the car is even going to do well but based on what I have seen so far I am feeling pretty good about it.

At this point I am pretty much all-in on the KF2 with the MM conversion. How are those of you who have installed it doing with it?
Hard packed outdoor tracks is what we have in south of France, so your race test will be very interesting, one of my friend who is a sv2 addict will test the mm kf soon too.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I am really looking forward to testing it out on that outdoor surface. Apparently the tires of choice are exactly what they were running at the Euro's race. However, I don't think this track is going to groove up like that and I also hear it is a fresh layout so things should be plenty loose.

If this car is competitive at the race (not just OK but really competitive) I will be really interested to see what Schumacher does with the SV2, if anything. I think the Euro's event is telling because if they were in fact working on an update to the SV2 I would have expected to see it in some form given the conditions. Why would they sink R&D time and money into developing both the MM configuration for the KF2 along with a new car that is essentially targeting the same type of surface.

Assuming the feedback and results with the MM config continue to be positive here is my prediction: The SV2 will cease to be produced and they will sell two flavors of the KF2.
  • KF2 "Euro Edition"
    • Kit as it exists today
    • Molded upper trans housing and parts for mounting shocks on back by default
    • Low grip config as default with MM config and forward motor config as options
  • KF2 "Yankee Edition"
    • Alloy chassis with MM config holes (hopefully milled and lightweight!)
    • MM config as default with low grip config and forward motor config as options
    • Ball diff standard
    • CVDs standard
    • Possibly small bore shocks standard (I have yet to test these)

If they could get it into the low $300s USD I think it could be a huge success here. It wouldn't need a single thing out of the box to be competitive.

And just to be clear, this is just my pure speculation. I have no information from or communication with Schumacher at all regarding the matter.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Default Venting

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
I'm curious to see what you end up for gearing. I have the same D4 1s non certified motor and 28/71 worked well for me, but my KF2 always ran hot. My KF2 always ran 20-30deg hotter than my other cars. I'll get between 170-180deg after eight minutes.
Have you put any holes in your body (venting) to allow air flow through the inside of the chassis? It does help!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I am really looking forward to testing it out on that outdoor surface. Apparently the tires of choice are exactly what they were running at the Euro's race. However, I don't think this track is going to groove up like that and I also hear it is a fresh layout so things should be plenty loose.

If this car is competitive at the race (not just OK but really competitive) I will be really interested to see what Schumacher does with the SV2, if anything. I think the Euro's event is telling because if they were in fact working on an update to the SV2 I would have expected to see it in some form given the conditions. Why would they sink R&D time and money into developing both the MM configuration for the KF2 along with a new car that is essentially targeting the same type of surface.

Assuming the feedback and results with the MM config continue to be positive here is my prediction: The SV2 will cease to be produced and they will sell two flavors of the KF2.
  • KF2 "Euro Edition"
    • Kit as it exists today
    • Low grip config as default with MM config and forward motor config as options
  • KF2 "Yankee Edition"
    • Alloy chassis with MM config holes (hopefully milled and lightweight!)
    • MM config as default with low grip config and forward motor config as options
    • Ball diff standard
    • CVDs standard
    • Possibly small bore shocks standard (I have yet to test these)

If they could get it into the low $300s USD I think it could be a huge success here. It wouldn't need a single thing out of the box to be competitive.

And just to be clear, this is just my pure speculation. I have no information from or communication with Schumacher at all regarding the matter.
I think so.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Now that I am almost certain to be running this car in stock I am going to try to mount a small fan on the upper brace right over the motor. I would have been nice to have had a fan mount incorporated in the upper brace for the MM kit but I suppose there was a reason they did not related to structure.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

There is no new sv2 in the works....

Unfortunately...
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland

Unfortunately...
I heard the same thing.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Tony have you driven or seen a KF2 with the MM config? If so, what is your opinion?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

The MM option is an improvement, but I've made my feelings clear earlier in this thread.

I moved the motor assembly and battery a further 15mm rearward from the MM location similar to what Maizer did around page 20 of this thread. The car still has a tremendous amount of steering and greatly increased the off power traction While not having to make drastic changes to the setup. The car is very stable and has all the punch that my Rb6 has.

I still believe this is what the MM option should have been. This works for me and really enjoy driving this car as it fits my driving style.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MelKF2
Have you put any holes in your body (venting) to allow air flow through the inside of the chassis? It does help!
Yes. I cut out the two air dams either side of the front windshield. Honestly, I didn't see much off a change in the temp after I did this. Maybe ten degrees less. Mounting a fan might be the better option.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Now that I am almost certain to be running this car in stock I am going to try to mount a small fan on the upper brace right over the motor. I would have been nice to have had a fan mount incorporated in the upper brace for the MM kit but I suppose there was a reason they did not related to structure.
Have you tried to fit a xs shorty and your speedo (if it fits) as you did on lg version?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Yes...

My sv2 is still faster and more consistent on super high bite....
Old 08-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Newland

Unfortunately...
That is unfortunate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.