Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what do u guys think of side winder fuel? >

what do u guys think of side winder fuel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what do u guys think of side winder fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default what do u guys think of side winder fuel?

Was recommended to me by LHS I'm running 30% or should I get byron ... Is it ok to switch fuels?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im personally a fan of Byron fuels..
Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

bryon. its the choice.

sidewinder-not what it once was. especially that purple crap.

R
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Byron's 25/11 all the way. You could go for 30/11 if you want, your call. Both are great. When you switch fuels, just idle half a tank, then drive the other half at a conservative speed, varying the throttle to really "re break in" the engine to the new fuel. Then you'll be ready to go!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

I bought the red stuff... How come people don't like it
Old 10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

the problem with fuels which have a heavy dye(red, blue, purple) is that the dye can burn into a gunky mess in the sleeve and scar the sleeve and/or piston. byrons has a thin orange dye which burns very clean.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

One gallon of the red stuff wont hurt it, but after about 2-4 gallons, you might run into some problems. Dont worry about it for now, burn what you have, then i would strongly endorse byron's.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I ran the red stuff for 2 years with zero issues..but I am one of them people that opens up my engines every gallon or two to check everything out and clean the carbon off the top of my pistons...never had any issues with the red stuff, once the purple stuff came out I jumped to nitrotane again no issues with tuning...

I am from IOWA which is where byrons is made I loved the original yellow fuel but hated the gen2 when it first came out...have not tried it since been a couple years...
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322
the problem with fuels which have a heavy dye(red, blue, purple) is that the dye can burn into a gunky mess in the sleeve and scar the sleeve and/or piston. byrons has a thin orange dye which burns very clean.
I didn't know it was dye. I was told it was the color of the oil blend they use with the after-run oil built in.

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322
One gallon of the red stuff wont hurt it, but after about 2-4 gallons, you might run into some problems. Dont worry about it for now, burn what you have, then i would strongly endorse byron's.
I've ran the World's Blend 30% for the last 2 years. I've got motors that have over 3 gallons on them and they still look brand new. What kind of problems should I look for in the next gallon?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

The purple "Team Strike" is very good fuel. Never had the dye do anything to my sleeves or pistons. Your going to get different answers from everyone. The best thing you could do is try it yourself.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've ran byrons and Amain fuel more then any other fuel I've ran. I recently switched to the red sidewinder because Byron's is hard for me to get. The biggest difference I have noticed is that sidewinder seems to run cooler, but there is much, much less smoke. My engine seems to run the same at 210 with the sidewinder as it did at 235 with Amain, and about 245 with the Byron's.
I know temps mean little, but that is the only thing I can use for an example.
I'm going back to Amain or Byron's the next chance I get. The lack of smoke with the sidewinder makes me a little nervous.

Keep in mind though I've only been into nitro since about march of this year. So I'm not near the most experienced person with fuels. I like the thread though becasue I was wondering the same thing. For me though I think Amain has been my favorite fuel so far. It seems like it's easier to tune then the Byrons and I seem to get a little better run times because I can lean it out more.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

We switched from Byron's to Strike purple and have better run times and cooler temps. We have went thru almost 11 gallons since late last winter and zero issues. One motor is a V-spec and other is Ninja JX. The V-spec has the majority of the fuel thru it.

Buy a quart and try it for yourself. Then compare.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (97%+)

The new Strike Team (Purple Stuff) is by far better than the older stuff. Engine runs cooler, Better all around performance. Great run time as well. If it was not good fuel, Robbers, Maifield, Cavaleri, and so on would not run it. Its an awesome fuel. Byrons is good too, But you cannot beat Sidewinder!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I make my own, but I'll say Oil content is more important to engine life than what brand.

All of the modern RC fuels are good, some better than others and some outstanding(like my homebrew LOL)

As long as it's 10% oil minimum or up to 15% max, your engine will thank you.

Higher oil content may be harder to tune for, may increase temps and may frustrate you with tuning(I've made batches that it screwed up on and made it like 20%. Funny to pass people on the straight puffing like a freighttrain and screaming lean LOL)

Best advice on a new fuel?

Buy 2 Qts and try it. If you like it, buy gallons next time.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I love the Purple Team Strike fuel. Yes it does give better run times and cooler engine temps, NO sacrifice in power at all, I actually think I have more over all than all the fuels I have ran in the past. My only problem with the fuel I have found is using it with motors with 5+ gallons that used other fuel won't tune correctly, and the fuel is a lil more pricy, but it's deff worth getting if it's one of ur choices. Byrons is good, Nitro Juice is ok, JACs Fuel (local guy) good, Sidewinder Worlds Blend good.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.