Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I do hope to see WGT at least stabilize at the club level. Its sad to see entries dropping in CA and entires not existing in FL possibly over the LiPo vs. NiMH debate (if Im far afield with that thought feel free to correct me)
Too many racers are running Lipos. To try and start a 1/10 scale class with out them is a recipe for failure.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wallyworld
Too many racers are running Lipos. To try and start a 1/10 scale class with out them is a recipe for failure.
I'd alter that to "too many Hobbiest are using LiPo" Racers are still round cell ....it is changing over in TC...but racing covers more than TC
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scootr117
I'd alter that to "too many Hobbiest are using LiPo" Racers are still round cell ....it is changing over in TC...but racing covers more than TC
You're right. Hobbyists in general want something that is easy to maintain and care free as possible. I think most people attracted back to the hobby or are making an initial investment aren't interested in NiMh packs. If you want to attract new blood, that has to be taken into account. The 21.5 BL has plenty of torque and isn't so fast as its out of control on the top end. With a direct drive, its all the motor you could ask for on a small tight track. Granted, our layout is like 90 X 60 and typically set up very technically with one full length straight. Its been brought up before, but I'd like to see if anyone else has run a 13.5 4 cell next to a 21.5 2S lipo for comparison. If you have, please post the numbers. I could see going to a 17.5 on a larger track where the corners are more flowing and the main straight is over 100' long.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The track I race at has already adopted the 17.5 + LiPo combo for our WGT races at our club. This move has already caught some attention and possibly some more racers in the class. So far so good on our end. However, the only cars that can support the setup is the CRC Gen X 10, Darkside, and BMI (with the LiPo tray setup). We're hoping future pan cars keep the LiPo setup in mind.

Nothing but positive results on our end so far.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I never run WGT indoors so I can't attest to speed on carpet, but outside the 13.5 4cell is a small bit faster when compared to stock TC.

I dislike the trend that has people wanting change the guidelines and rules constantly to fit whatever new thing comes out....the class uses a set of rules that were posted (I don't have the URL handy) The IIC thru the Snowbirds used these basic rules with a body hieght adjustment....there are no equivilant motor battery packages...
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

I never run WGT indoors so I can't attest to speed on carpet, but outside the 13.5 4cell is a small bit faster when compared to stock TC.

I dislike the trend that has people wanting change the guidelines and rules constantly to fit whatever new thing comes out....the class uses a set of rules that were posted (I don't have the URL handy) The IIC thru the Snowbirds used these basic rules with a body hieght adjustment....there are no equivilant motor battery packages...
We're all indoor here in the great white north. We're a tick faster than the the 13.5 TCs running 7.4V also. The silver can F1 1/10 pan car derivatives are actually the fastest cars here. Currently, having the 21.5 lipo is actually growing the class and getting people interested locally. Most of the locals are already running lipo in other classes and 4 cell is done except for 1/12th. We make sure those who get into the class are very aware that the 13.5 4 cell is the accepted standard put forth by IIC. Honestly, they don't care. If I ever travel to a larger event, I'll set up for 13.5 4 Cell though.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

I understand and you have a good point. However, times change and sometimes to be more attractive to new people, you have to go with what they put in the suggestion box (metaphorically speaking). Right now, LiPo is the "hip" battery to use because of its consistent performance versus NiMH cells. Maintenance is more of a pain on LiPo batteries, but people want performance. Consistent performance. And that is what led us to go 17.5 LiPo.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HarryN
Maintenance is more of a pain on LiPo batteries, .....
Say what? No discharge cycling, balance every 10th run or so. Lipo is by far easier for me so far.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Say what? No discharge cycling, balance every 10th run or so. Lipo is by far easier for me so far.
hehe, tell that to the people who still burn up their packs and run around like chimpanzees wielding bones in hand and slamming big black slabs of granite.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HarryN
hehe, tell that to the people who still burn up their packs and run around like chimpanzees wielding bones in hand and slamming big black slabs of granite.
These wouldn't by chance be the same chimps who can't read the instructions? Found they've built their car completely upside down and disassemble it to build it right side up?

That square peg will fit in that round hole with a big enough bone!

They would also prefer at times to bang their heads on the slab of granite so they can stop and make it feel better.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
These wouldn't by chance be the same chimps who can't read the instructions? Found they've built their car completely upside down and disassemble it to build it right side up?

That square peg will fit in that round hole with a big enough bone!

They would also prefer at times to bang their heads on the slab of granite so they can stop and make it feel better.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyworld
Ditto! Even single cell lipo has potential for World GT/GT10 as far as I am concerned. Hope to find out about that fairly soon.

For me, NIMH is totally a dead end after my experiences with so many failed cells and explosive incidents with my TC cars. I was up to three and two respectively...before switching to lipo.

Actually, at NorCal Hobbies, the only cars able to consistently muster a field on a week-by-week basis are lipo powered. And the same applies to those I see doing regular practicing.

Bill
Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You tell em liljohn.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Spec or not, World GT has the ability to create some amazing racing action. A few weeks ago at the final round of the NorthEast Grand Slam hosted by The Track we all saw an amazing battle for 4m45s by Brian Wynn and Josh Cyrul that ended with an unfortunate mistake by Brian. Great racing guys.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So has anybody here in the east been able to get a regular weekly World GT class going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.