Wiki Posts
Search

unbalancable truggy tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default unbalancable truggy tires

Im having trouble balancing some truggy tires. The wheels seem to be warped or something. Even when I put the putty in the correct spot and it seems to be balanced, when I pick up the stand and spin it it shakes my whole arm. Any tips or suggestions?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Put it on the truggy while on the starter box or somthing so its up in the air then give it a little rev. If the tire bounces all over then its not balanced. Almost all wheels are warped some especialy after even a little use so they will probably shake on a balancer.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Is it a PL LRP by any chance?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

another possible thing to consider is the tires/wheels maybe fine...but possible wear on the hubs of the truggy and carrier bearings as well...but first try and see with the earlier mentioned test.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bobbyc1127
another possible thing to consider is the tires/wheels maybe fine...but possible wear on the hubs of the truggy and carrier bearings as well...but first try and see with the earlier mentioned test.
+1 Had the same exact problem with my 8IGHT-T a few weeks ago... Easy way to check is to take the wheel and swap it with another one on the opposite side of the car... If the shake stays on the same axle then bearings, if it follows the wheel its the wheel...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rider313
Is it a PL LRP by any chance?
yes, all the ones im having trouble with are PL LRPs
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Ive never been able to get PL's to balance.... everything else I have balances fine AKA JC etc
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by velotek1
Any tips or suggestions?
Yes,

Sometimes you cant just put the weight in one spot. You spin the tire like you would normally do, put the counter weight on the top inside part of the fin in the rim, once it balances out to the side's you still might have a heavy spot back on the bottom so you will have to balance it again in 1/4th's instead of only 1/2's. You want to balance them out until the tire can stop at any point on the balancer without rolling back to any particular position.

I use a thin pizza wheel prop balancer, stupid accurate! Can be had for a few bucks.

FWIW, I run a tank on new wheels in grass before I balance them. This way everything settles in. I found that balancing new tires always requires re-balancing after a race.