Wiki Posts
Search

clutch spring...stiffness

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default clutch spring...stiffness

on the stiffness of springs is it the diameter of the spring that gives it its stiffness or the bend, or both. i hate it when i get a set of springs and even though they are the same say 1.0 some will engage sooner. so i am going to start measuring and matching them, i should have did this a long time ago. so far a few packs the are supposed to be 1.0 were .93 to .97 and some were spot on. a set of kyosho 1.10 were just that all six of them i measured.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

yup they can vary and with a 3 shoe clutch there is so much heat generated and a good part of the spring is riding on the back of the shoe ....the heat breaks them down quickly and you can get shoes not engageing at the same time ...to the point you will feel something just aint right
Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by r1harper
on the stiffness of springs is it the diameter of the spring that gives it its stiffness or the bend, or both.
To me it would be the bend. Caster makes springs that are bended waaaaaaaaay more compared to other brands, alas, their 1.0 springs engage later than a 1.1 from other manufacturers. What I did to resolve the issue was to bend it until the angle was similiar (after force is removed) of a comparable rated spring.

I hope you get what I mean
Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

yea i do...thanks for the info
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

You can always bet the farm on the Kyosho springs being right. They must have a good QC program. For me they have always provided a consistent feel right up to the point where they are finally fatigued, bag to bag. Thats usually 2-3 weekends for me.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i always have thought the jammin ones felt good.. i think i will have to take them off and see how true they are
Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

3 shoe springs suck imo..they break far too often and need replacing far too often to get that "snap" back.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Once you find a set of clutch springs you like stick to that one brand of spring, then you know every diameter change or angle change is going to show a difference.

Buying springs from differenat manufacturers is asking for variation as you will see it in the spring diameter, angle of the bend and even quality of the spring steel. If you're going to race with different spring brands with all those variables the only way to do so is to measure the spring rate at a known angle which would measure the tension at assembled position and then open position. Similar to the way we do with valve springs in a race motor.