When do you run tires in hard compound?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you run tires in hard compound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

Default When do you run tires in hard compound?

Hello,

I see everybody use soft and medium compound tires, but when do you guys use hard (xtr) tires? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Harder compound tires on VERY abrasive tracks. Typically, I would say that the hard compounds are only used during longer mains...

The other option is to use them on the street when you are breaking in a new engine! haha
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jlbanta
Harder compound tires on VERY abrasive tracks. Typically, I would say that the hard compounds are only used during longer mains...

The other option is to use them on the street when you are breaking in a new engine! haha
No breaking in I run brushless . To sum up you never run hard compound if I follow you. Not even when the weather is very warm ?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Harder compounds are indeed for hot temperatures as well as for abrasive tracks. Probably 100+F. Which means the track surface would probably be around 150+F.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I only use a harder compound when the track gets a solid line that starts to become really abrassive and high bite, it makes the car easy to drive. Also if the line gets that good and warm I usually put on warn out caliber m2s. They seem to work great.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

High bite(blue groove), hot temperature, and long a$$ mains= hard compound
Have ran them on the muddy track also.....or in the street
Old 07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the hotter the outside temp the harder tire you can get away with. 75 or below i run the softest compound that i can get... 75 to 85 would be like a proline m2 or hotbodies red compound.. 85 or higher is uaually a proline xbt or hotbodies white compound.

on abrasive tracks usualy go one stage harder on tire then i normally would for the track temp.

my thinking (and someone please currect me if im wrong) is that when it gets to the higher tempatures the rubber in the tires sofen a little when on the track, this is why if your car is hooked up on red hotbodies blocks in the morning, and then the track (and your tires) heat up, dries out a little, ect. the red compound may not feel the same. a hotbodies white compound would be better. because as the track would heat up the tire and sofen it a little the white would then start to feel simmular to the way your red compound tires felt when it was cooler.

*softer is not always better in the heat*
Old 07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What do you guys mean by abrasive tracks ? I was thinking all off road tracks were abrasive.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHogle
the hotter the outside temp the harder tire you can get away with. 75 or below i run the softest compound that i can get... 75 to 85 would be like a proline m2 or hotbodies red compound.. 85 or higher is uaually a proline xbt or hotbodies white compound.

on abrasive tracks usualy go one stage harder on tire then i normally would for the track temp.

my thinking (and someone please currect me if im wrong) is that when it gets to the higher tempatures the rubber in the tires sofen a little when on the track, this is why if your car is hooked up on red hotbodies blocks in the morning, and then the track (and your tires) heat up, dries out a little, ect. the red compound may not feel the same. a hotbodies white compound would be better. because as the track would heat up the tire and sofen it a little the white would then start to feel simmular to the way your red compound tires felt when it was cooler.

*softer is not always better in the heat*
Sounds about right to me Cody.

In short, you would use hard compound tires when the track surface is very hot or when you are running a long race on a very abrasive surface. If you run too soft of a compound on a super hot track surface, the tires will heat up and the pins will fold over more/ you lose traction. On a very abrasive track softer compound will wear faster and traction will go away on you as the race goes on.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madbrad
What do you guys mean by abrasive tracks ? I was thinking all off road tracks were abrasive.
Abrasive as in wears tires quickly. There are many dirt tracks I wouldn't consider abrasive at all. There are many ways a track can be abrasive. Tracks that have a high sand or stone content are usually quite abrasive. Or blue groove.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

this is a type of abrasive surface

Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Abrasive like pockets of small rock, or clay top with some small aggregate that almost act like sand paper on tires if you look at it like that.

Andy
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
No breaking in I run brushless . To sum up you never run hard compound if I follow you. Not even when the weather is very warm ?
I live in az where it gets 110-120 in the summer. i run on a hard blue groove track. The hardest ive gone is med which is at srs(az state race) because they run it dry. In the middle of the summer i run soft and so do most people here
Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like sand paper, FEMCA 09 was a little abrasive.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by looper
this is a type of abrasive surface

This is exactly the surface I run on . I understand better now why tires wear so fast.. For the training I think I'll stick with hard compound.

I'm doing an endurance race next month (12h race), what kind of tires would you use? I'm looking for the slowest wearing tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.