Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Serpent 977 Viper

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Marcus are you running CVD's in the rear or dog bones?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default SRG-BLS servos

out of curiosity, anyone using Sanwa SRG-BLS servos for both throttle and steering in the 977?

Wondering whether these servos would be "man" enough for the job.

Would you guys recommend it?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by P2gee
Marcus,

Its been a while, but I was experiencing the same type of tire wear when I was running the 966 at RCRCNT. I think I played with the length and mounting location of the rear upper suspension link and got the tires to do the accepted cone on both tires. I have to admit though, your car looked plenty "acceptable" to me during the main regardless of how the rear tires looked at the end.

Steve McLaughlin
Thanks, i look forward to the next one!

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
Marcus are you running CVD's in the rear or dog bones?
Its a WC so it has CVD's
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cosmokitten
out of curiosity, anyone using Sanwa SRG-BLS servos for both throttle and steering in the 977?

Wondering whether these servos would be "man" enough for the job.

Would you guys recommend it?

Thanks!
No those servos are designed for 1/10th 190mm TC. They are only 7kg torque so no where near strong enough for a 1/8th scale car - no low profile servo would be suitable. If your a sanwa fan (as I am) then look at the ERS-961 or 962 brilliant servos for the money.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dan_vector
No those servos are designed for 1/10th 190mm TC. They are only 7kg torque so no where near strong enough for a 1/8th scale car - no low profile servo would be suitable. If your a sanwa fan (as I am) then look at the ERS-961 or 962 brilliant servos for the money.
Thanks Dan_Vector!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Serpent 977 Alu screw kit

Anybody using these?

If so, any thoughts? are they robust enough?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Anybody using these?

If so, any thoughts? are they robust enough?

Thanks!
I use the Xceed RC Titanium screw kit as titanium is stronger that aluminium however the aluminium screws are a touch lighter.

In my 411 and 747 I use the alu screw kits without any issue but prefer the titanium in my 977 as I feel more confident with the stronger hardware for the riggers of 1/8th racing. I'm sure the alu screws would probably be fine as well but personal preference in titanium.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use the Xceed RC Titanium screw kit as titanium is stronger that aluminium however the aluminium screws are a touch lighter.

In my 411 and 747 I use the alu screw kits without any issue but prefer the titanium in my 977 as I feel more confident with the stronger hardware for the riggers of 1/8th racing. I'm sure the alu screws would probably be fine as well but personal preference in titanium.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Where do you think more torque is required? on throttle/brake? or steering?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

On the steering. You need the holding power
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
On the steering. You need the holding power
Interesting...

What do you recommend as min torque requirements for steering and throttle / brake for 1/8th on-road?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

I use a KO RSx response which has a great mix of speed and torque. I say anything with a minimum of 150 oz of torque
Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default 1. Aluminum clutch bell 2. clutch spring

1. Is aluminum clutch bell really hard to set up? My friend says so but I have used it before, not sure if I was lucky, I got no problem at that time. I will only use it for big races. The bell I have (I got it from my friend) has distinct threads inside the bell where the contact between the bell and the clutch shoe occurs. Is it normal? I just ordered a new bell but just curious.

2. I recently posted a thread regarding possible bogging at lower end. But it seems to me that it's coming from clutch. My friend says it's from really bad clutch. He told me to use Sheperd super hard clutch spring but I don't have it and I don't understand why it has to be that. I've been using Serpent hard spring. I tightened the preload 3.5 turns in. How do I solve this annoying problem? Last race, I ended up breaking the con rod. The bogging must have put too much load on the engine. Please advise,
Old 06-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting...

What do you recommend as min torque requirements for steering and throttle / brake for 1/8th on-road?
Personally I use the same servos in both steering and throttle/brake. 0.09s through 60 and 25kg torque at 7.4v (HV Servos).
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75
1. Is aluminum clutch bell really hard to set up? My friend says so but I have used it before, not sure if I was lucky, I got no problem at that time. I will only use it for big races. The bell I have (I got it from my friend) has distinct threads inside the bell where the contact between the bell and the clutch shoe occurs. Is it normal? I just ordered a new bell but just curious.

2. I recently posted a thread regarding possible bogging at lower end. But it seems to me that it's coming from clutch. My friend says it's from really bad clutch. He told me to use Sheperd super hard clutch spring but I don't have it and I don't understand why it has to be that. I've been using Serpent hard spring. I tightened the preload 3.5 turns in. How do I solve this annoying problem? Last race, I ended up breaking the con rod. The bogging must have put too much load on the engine. Please advise,
1. The Alu bell wears extremely quickly if your clutch isn't setup perfectly. If you have a lot of slip then you will ruin the Alu bell in a few seconds. Your friend is partially right in that the Alu bell is quite sensitive to needing accurate clutch setup. If your not 100% happy with clutch setup then stick to the steel bells for now. The wear inside your current bell is not good and contributing to the issue you are having with bogging. Change it for a steel bell before continuing.

2. What end float and end play are you running? Make sure it's 0.6mm and 0.1mm. Below 0.6 will cause bogging. It's difficult to say how many turns in to set the adj nut because the setting varies clutch to clutch engine to engine but start with 10mm down from the end of the crankshaft and then tune it from there. You don't need a shepherd spring - there is nothing wrong with the stock spring. However it is possible that the spring has been damaged by excessive heat or is old and so changing to a new spring may help.

I doubt your broken conrod is totally attributable to a bogging clutch however you will see higher engine temps if the clutch is either bogging or slipping. My advice is to recheck your engine settings as well before continuing on a new engine as it's likely the piston/sleeve/head/main bearing is toast when the rod breaks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.