Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine quit running :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default engine quit running :(

I was in the driveway breaking in my new Ofna(my baby lol), full tank of nitro, I'm relatively sure it's got fully charged batts, could be my failsafe I just installed though, haven't set it yet, I was just trying to get over the fear of burning myself lol.. If you're wondering why I'd be afraid, it was my first time starting a nitro.. It started fine, I got on the throttle about 1/2 way and it wouldn't move at first, then it moved fine but slow of course, so I brought it out in the street and started blipping the throttle at 1/4 and 1/2 for around 2 seconds maybe each, then brought it back in the driveway to get a video and while I was recording it just randomly died. I am almost thinking that now it's running lean and dying, it dies after 10-15 seconds of idling. I have a video I will upload to Photobucket..

Please don't make fun of me, I couldn't get any help in the Rookie Zone so I'm posting it here.

Any other opinions of what it could be?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...922_165313.flv

Sorry for the low quality, it was my phone camera..

And it sounds weird... I'll have to upload it to YouTube and see if it gets any better...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ninja fixt, it's still processing though..
Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

if you are only just starting your break in procedure the engine will still be VERY rich.

therefore the idle wont be as good until you have finished break in and tuned it a litlle
Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah I was told that, but I can't keep it running for more than like 10 seconds at a time now..

BRB, I'm going try to start it again with a fresh glow starter battery to eliminate that chance of being the problem..
Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Well, no luck with starting it again..

I'm running Blue Thunder 20% by the way..
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanroma
Well, no luck with starting it again..

I'm running Blue Thunder 20% by the way..
Check the glow plug. You may have fouled it. You can take it out and carefully attach it to the ignitor. Should glow a super bright orange and may even put off a little smoke at first.

If it doesn't glow bright orange, you either (most likely) fouled the plug (normal for a new engine) or your ignitor is faulty.

You can check your ignitor with a volt meter.

Keep us informed. We'll get ya running!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boostfiend
Check the glow plug. You may have fouled it. You can take it out and carefully attach it to the ignitor. Should glow a super bright orange and may even put off a little smoke at first.

If it doesn't glow bright orange, you either (most likely) fouled the plug (normal for a new engine) or your ignitor is faulty.

You can check your ignitor with a volt meter.

Keep us informed. We'll get ya running!
I'd like to thank you first off for being nice and polite, unlike so many of the members I've seen on here. I am very glad I bought a spare glow plug at the LHS yesterday.. Either way, I do think my ignitor is probably screwed up because I've got to turn it kinda sideways for it to stay on the glow plug..
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

i hope you have found the problem and get to your local track ASAP
Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cm27456
i hope you have found the problem and get to your local track ASAP
Tried the other new glow plug, it started right up but it seemed to sound like it was running leaner, and I think I saw a tiny bit of smoke come from the cooling head... After that I ran over and pinched the fuel line to make sure I wasn't going to destroy the engine if I didn't have the glow plug shimmed right, and I put the old one back in.. It started after a little priming and then when I touched the throttle it died..
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You should try to keep the engine temp up around 200f, you may have to wrap aluminum foil around the head to achieve that. I also like to use a heat gun to start the motor, as it is easier on the connecting rod. Sometimes it is necessary to leave the glow ignitor on to help keep it running the first couple tries.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Posting this 90 minutes after your initial post in the other thread won't get you a lot of answers or make you many friends.

Wow this forum is pathetic. I can't even get a simple answer like this out of you all... FYI I got it running on my own, but now after a couple of seconds it dies. I highly doubt it's the receiver batteries because I just charged them and they're 2650mAh... As soon as I get on the throttle it dies..
Old 09-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Well I'm about to hang it up for the night.. I am about to go put some after run oil in the engine, where other than the glow plug hole should I put the oil?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Also how do I know when the piston is at BDC?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also how do I know when the piston is at BDC?
You got PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.