Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fanatic01
Any input on this guys?
hobbywing justock is only rated for 17.5-13.5t motors. and gearing will depend on what turn motor you're running and you can reference the manual for gearing suggestions.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any input on this guys?
I would say swap the square pack for a shorty
Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any input on this guys?
Get a shorty rather than a square battery pack
Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
Thanks a lot! I will be seeing if my LHS has it in stock if not I will order them and have them brought in.

I talked to the shop about the clear x-rings and he said they don't make that big of a difference. I also asked about the "fox" shock bodies and he said the same about them to. What are your guys opinions that are running them? I just want this car setup from the start. I know I should run it stock but I can never leave anything stock!
The shiny pucks are for mod, bi-metal for stock. The x-rings are significantly better than the std red ones. The fox shocks are smoother but are definitely not needed. I would recommend the clear x-rings though....there is a reason he probably makes minimum wage.
Originally Posted by 3n90t
I have spare axles and hexs from my B5 RM. They've never failed my in 12months. I'll only be running stock so no need for the new HD axles.
The HD axles are different geometry than the originals as well...they aren't just beefed up a little where the hex goes.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 07-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

8.5T possibly 10.5 combo (Loose outdoor track)
Originally Posted by Carter Flotron
I would say swap the square pack for a shorty
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
Get a shorty rather than a square battery pack
Running in a non-spec class on a loose outdoor track?... I would run the heavier square pack.

Everything in your list looks ok, except for the speedo. You will need to run the hobbywing stockspec instead. ("stockspec" is a different model from "just stock". As good as their ESCs are, their naming convention leaves a lot to be desired). And as suggested, your gearing will depend on your motor choice.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The shiny pucks are for mod, bi-metal for stock. The x-rings are significantly better than the std red ones. The fox shocks are smoother but are definitely not needed. I would recommend the clear x-rings though....there is a reason he probably makes minimum wage.
Thanks Matt. I will get the pucks and x-rings today when my motor comes in. I may pick up the fox shocks also since they will be torn apart anyways.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
Thanks Matt. I will get the pucks and x-rings today when my motor comes in. I may pick up the fox shocks also since they will be torn apart anyways.
You can use your current shafts/pistons within the new fox bodies. But, if you get the new shafts (they use a screw to hold the piston on instead of an eclip) you will need to get the new pistons as they are not backwards compatible. The new pistons are only available in the machined versions and are roughly $12-13 for 4. More info can be found here:

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l..._Kashima_Coat/
Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the responses.

I am pretty set on getting the 8.5T motor as a friend who has the same car has the same turn with a Tekin setup. I am still considering the Tekin RS but the Canadian dollar is so low right now which makes it cost more than I would like. What pinion size is best for that turn of motor?

I went with the square pack for runtime and it will make in more planted. I'm not really concerned about position the weight differently. The runtime on a 5800mah would be amazing in these little cars.

I'm thinking the blockades for the rear would be best suited for the track I run on. For the front tires, which rib tires are better suited to loose dirt?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The HD axles are different geometry than the originals as well...they aren't just beefed up a little where the hex goes.
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Can you elaborate? I know you can use the new +4 hexes on them with the +4 pills at the inner hinge pins, but I don't think the geometry is any different with the kit supplied hexes and stock hinge pin mounts.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Thank you for the responses.

I am pretty set on getting the 8.5T motor as a friend who has the same car has the same turn with a Tekin setup. I am still considering the Tekin RS but the Canadian dollar is so low right now which makes it cost more than I would like. What pinion size is best for that turn of motor?

I went with the square pack for runtime and it will make in more planted. I'm not really concerned about position the weight differently. The runtime on a 5800mah would be amazing in these little cars.

I'm thinking the blockades for the rear would be best suited for the track I run on. For the front tires, which rib tires are better suited to loose dirt?
get the HW v3.1 stock spec. Cheapish and they go down to a 5.5 turn rating. super smooth and the programmer is cheap.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Krio
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Can you elaborate? I know you can use the new +4 hexes on them with the +4 pills at the inner hinge pins, but I don't think the geometry is any different with the kit supplied hexes and stock hinge pin mounts.
The original axles that came in the B5/B5m and the HD axles are different in the fact that the dogbone mounts further inside the axle (and thus the hub) on the HD axles. Place them next to each other and you can visually see the difference. I was told that this helped to generate more traction but you would need and engineer from AE to verify this, I just know they are different. I said nothing with regards to the +4 mount.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Lord

I am pretty set on getting the 8.5T motor... I am still considering the Tekin RS ?
The Tekin RS will struggle with your 8.5. You will be risking burning it up, and it is NOT a very smooth ESC. You need something that can handle low turn motors, and considering you're going to be on a loose outdoor track, you need an ESC that provides smooth power delivery. The Tekin RS is about the worst choice you could make. You need to run the RSX if you want to run Tekin brand. I would personally recommend the v3.1 stock spec from hobbywing, or the blackbox from Reedy. (which is basically the same exact speedo... same with the orion)

I went with the square pack for runtime... The runtime on a 5800mah would be amazing in these little cars.
You are still going to be limited by motor heat. Geared correctly, you won't get more runtime on a 5800 than a 4500 shorty, because you will likely hit your heat limit at 10 or 11 minutes either way anyway. Run a heavier or lighter pack to tune your car's weight. Loose track? I would run the heavier pack.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Alright I'm fine with getting the Hobbywing Stock Spec 3.1 esc. It seems like they make a good product with great reviews. I assume their V10 8.5T motor performs just as well? With a 8.5T motor what is an optimal starting point for gearing?

Any issues with esc's 6v/3amp bec? I was thinking on getting savox 1257tg or spektrum 6040. I know the power draw is quite high with these puppies and wondering if 3amps would be enough. I use a futaba rx/tx so I'm not sure if the brownouts are still a common thing like they are with spektrums. I have primarily used Hitec servos but most of their servos are aimed at torque rather than high speed. Haven't found one with specs I particularly like for this application.

I am running on a loose outdoor track so I think I will benefit from the square pack. I am however waiting for the canadian supplier of SMC batteries to get the 5800mah square pack in stock. I talked to Danny from SMC and he said 2 weeks.... Grrr
Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Tech Lord

I use a futaba rx/tx so I'm not sure if the brownouts are still a common thing like they are with spektrums. I have primarily used Hitec servos but most of their servos are aimed at torque rather than high speed. Haven't found one with specs I particularly like for this application.
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/futaba-...tm0155/p390901
Old 07-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like a great servo but I'm not looking to spend that much on one. The savox is the perfect price but I don't want to get it if there is any chance of brownouts, which is sort of the reason I stayed away from them and bought Hitec. I don't want to deal with any external bec's especially in such a small vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.