Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tex1
Finken-
You are thinking right. More antisquat will help in the bumps if you have the traction. When you load the front of the car (like going into a turn) the increased antisquat will take away side bite in the rear. However, the higher antisquat value will let you accelerate through the bumps and keep the car flat.
Bottomline- if you like to drive on throttle, run antisquat.
If you drive with a lot of brakes or you are on the brakes in a bumpy section, run less antisquat.

Hope this helps,
TEX
<----- Not done yet!
hey tex,
yes and no to the post above, if the track has only small bumps yes more antisquat but if the track is quite rough then less antisquat

[quote] It depends on how big the bumps are, really. More anti-squat will make the car jump higher, which also means it will bounce the car around more on big bumps. It will give the car more forward bite which could help get through smaller bumps better, but that's about it.

Anti-squat means the rear end of the car will be bound up on-power. That's a bad thing when you're going through bumps.
Aaron Waldron
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Less anti squat has the bump handling effects Aaron mentioned and the only thing I would add is that some tracks get rough enough that the ground bumps can cause chassis slap, in that case stay with some anti squat and work with the bumps in another way.

Another effect of anti squay to take into account is it's effect on traction. This was touched on before but I think I have a simple explanation. Running less anti squat gives more off throttle side bite. The best example I can think of is higer speed turn entries (sweeper turns). I find that less a/s makes the car more stable on these types of turn entry. More a/s helps the car to square up off the turn better on throttle. If you have too little the car will feel less locked in on throttle.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

What do you guys think...is the 8ight good for blown-out tracks.Where can I download some setup sheets.Also,I read on this forum that the 8ight has problems with servos blowing due to vibration.Has anybody replaced the drag link bushes with bearings.Check my mod on the brake links
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-dsc01785.jpg  
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Springs huh? I have always like the feel of fuel tubing. Also the servo problem is not from vibration. EPA set correctly, no spring binding from throttle return spring, servo spacers used to raise servos off chassis, and quality servos. I saw someone a few pages back said to use fuel tubing on the outside collet for the throttle linkage.

For the blown out sections of a track I just pin the throttle and glide over it. i feel the buggy works great everywhere.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

Hmmm, i saw this on another thred in this forum:

"In the N/w the Mugen rules, and most has given up on the Losi due to it poor performance on rough tracks and other issues.... "

"A lot of guys around here are dumping their 8ight's same reason when the track gets blown out the losi cars get real incosistant thats why i sold mine plus im just an A.E. fan. but the losi cars are good in the right hands"

I thought the Losi was the King of blown out tracks????
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

I've run the Kyosho, Mugen and Losi. I would say the Mugen works best in the rough. The Kyosho with the new big bore shocks looks a lot better now through the bumps than it did with the standard shocks. When the track gets blown out I raise the ride height on the Losi slightly so the front doesn't dig in. I run on some pretty rough tracks and don't feel I'm at a disadvantage. But I do know that the Losi will out perform the others on the jumps.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yip, I feel the same.I dumped the Mugen on Thursday practice, Friday got the setup ok on the 8ight and on Saturday qualified 5th,could have been 3rd.I like the feel of the 8ight,it has more corner speed and to me it seems that it was better on the ruff stuff as well.Some guys here run them with very little droop, is that the way to go?I need some setup sheets.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmorast
When the track gets blown out I raise the ride height on the Losi slightly so the front doesn't dig in. I run on some pretty rough tracks and don't feel I'm at a disadvantage. But I do know that the Losi will out perform the others on the jumps.
Yeah I do this myself too on rough tracks and I feel the same way regarding the other cars, though I'm going just by looking where cars seem to bottom out the most etc. Haven't driven a Mugen or Kyosho. I feel the 8ight is a great all around car.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Nice racing with you this weekend Lars! Not one of our best Minnesota tracks but our series is a blast. Which tires worked best last weekend? Kendall (my son) was running Chrime fighters up front and Bowties in back. His setup is posted on mnnitroseries.com if you wanted to look at it. Hope you had a good time!

Rex
Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How do you people have the brake bias set? I've had mine set to more front braking cause I'm a crappy driver. But now that I've learned how to race 8th scale I'm going to start dialing in more rear brake. I like how it slows down very straight and under control, but I think I can cut a little more time by swinging the rear a bit.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I set mine to grab the rear first with little brake applied and then the front when full brake is applied . This way I can slide around a corner if I need to or use full brake when slowing down at the end of the straight .
Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run more front than rear. If I run more rear than front, the rear likes to try and push through or around the front.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

40F/ 60R for me.....
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Er... With regards to the 8ight starter box, I've read on other forums that people have been complaining about burning out its motors in a ridiculously short period of time. Is there any truth to the opinions muttered that it's not a good starter box?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

I used it on a new JP engine last week with no problem.A few other guys at the track have not had problems either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.