Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
thanks for the help. I tried the kit setup but didn't care for it. I'm running a modified version of Hohwarts GCR setup. there was something odd on it though. not sure if it was right. he listed 3mm shims under the suspension mounts front and back. that seems awful high. I ran .5 yesterday and it wasn't back but not good. I wanted to see if anyone else had a good setup to try. I'll keep testing
Originally Posted by YoDog
If you are having that much under steer, it's not likely because of the spool. Something isn't right with your setup. You should still get plenty of steering without a front diff. What oil are you running in the rear diff? What springs and shock oil? If you post your settings, we might be able to point to something.
I know you said you have Ricks setup but you may be better off starting from the kit setup and make small adjustments starting with droop. If Rick is actually running 3mm on the arms, he is running a high roll center. He mentioned running a similar setup on his 6.1 awhile back. I tried that setup and it only worked well on a more grippy surface. A lower roll center will be more forgiving in my opinion.
3mm under the mounts is correct. For some reason, a high roll center has always worked well with the AE TC models. Even back as far as the TC5 we were using relatively high roll centers with good success.

One thing you can try is to remove all the shims so that the mounts are flat on the chassis and use black ball studs with 1mm shims on all four inside positions leaving everything else the same. This should be better on lower grip surfaces.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 on the higher roll centers.

I have been playing around with my 6.2 on Carpet and I am currently running 1mm under all suspension mounts. It allows the car to react much quicker and seems to generate more lateral grip.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
+1 on the higher roll centers.

I have been playing around with my 6.2 on Carpet and I am currently running 1mm under all suspension mounts. It allows the car to react much quicker and seems to generate more lateral grip.
I think Dotman is running on a syrup prepped parking lot surface so it's a little tricky due to the bumpiness and the dusty/sticky/gooey aspect of this type of surface. Not knowing how good his tires are and how balanced his weight transfer is working, it's really hard to say what's causing the push.
Maybe too much rear toe? Not enough rear droop? Too much anti-dive? Not enough steering throw? Tire Sauce? So many unknown factors that can really effect front end traction.
I'm hoping to head down to where they race and get some track time in there.
I think it's only an hour or so away from where I live in Santa Barbara.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, high roll centers Are good for bumpy tracks. They allow for a softer spring set up to absorb the bumps better, while maintaining good roll stiffness.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Well, high roll centers Are good for bumpy tracks. They allow for a softer spring set up to absorb the bumps better, while maintaining good roll stiffness.
Agreed...I actually run higher roll center on my RSD6 in 17.5t with 12.5 and 13.5lb springs on our bumpy local track. It works quite well.
Dotman is pushing everywhere so I'm under the impression that something is bound up or there is little to no droop.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have had no end of traction problems with mine with the rear end breaking loose.

I tried wild setup changes and had no effect same problem, same spots on our track.

I striped the car and couldn't find anything wrong with it till I got to the shocks..

I remembered YoDog talking about the shocks all having different tightness in each of them, and sure as I have a AE tshirt on right now, mine were like this too.

I have sanded them a bit to get them all feeling nice, but it was almost half the plastic insert bit behind the oring that I had to sand off

what do you guys think the cause would have been ? wrong inserts ?

Ed
Old 03-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
3mm under the mounts is correct. For some reason, a high roll center has always worked well with the AE TC models. Even back as far as the TC5 we were using relatively high roll centers with good success.

One thing you can try is to remove all the shims so that the mounts are flat on the chassis and use black ball studs with 1mm shims on all four inside positions leaving everything else the same. This should be better on lower grip surfaces.
Thanks for the tip Rick. That's actually what i was going to try next. I'm really curious about the high roll center setup now. I'm going to have to give that a try. the camarillo track decent traction on most days. it usually only gets loose on windy days when dirt from the offroad track and farm fields blows on to it.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal
I have had no end of traction problems with mine with the rear end breaking loose.

I tried wild setup changes and had no effect same problem, same spots on our track.

I striped the car and couldn't find anything wrong with it till I got to the shocks..

I remembered YoDog talking about the shocks all having different tightness in each of them, and sure as I have a AE tshirt on right now, mine were like this too.

I have sanded them a bit to get them all feeling nice, but it was almost half the plastic insert bit behind the oring that I had to sand off

what do you guys think the cause would have been ? wrong inserts ?

Ed
one problem i had with my shocks was related to the oring i used. i started with a kyosho X oring. i used the same oil all around and they all felt different. after a number of attempts to free the shocks up, i removed the X orings and put the kit orings in and the shocks felt a lot closer to equal.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

I think Dotman is running on a syrup prepped parking lot surface so it's a little tricky due to the bumpiness and the dusty/sticky/gooey aspect of this type of surface. Not knowing how good his tires are and how balanced his weight transfer is working, it's really hard to say what's causing the push.
Maybe too much rear toe? Not enough rear droop? Too much anti-dive? Not enough steering throw? Tire Sauce? So many unknown factors that can really effect front end traction.
I'm hoping to head down to where they race and get some track time in there.
I think it's only an hour or so away from where I live in Santa Barbara.
You're planning to come to Camarillo on Sunday for the first points race? Nice. it should be a good race. Come over and introduce yourself. We can compare notes on the car.

Thanks,
Oliver
Old 03-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

one problem i had with my shocks was related to the oring i used. i started with a kyosho X oring. i used the same oil all around and they all felt different. after a number of attempts to free the shocks up, i removed the X orings and put the kit orings in and the shocks felt a lot closer to equal.
I did wonder this too

I built the shocks with the RSD orings, but then I had them in my tc6 shocks too with no problems

I did try the kit ones and had the same issues, so I put the rsd ones back in

ed
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

I did wonder this too

I built the shocks with the RSD orings, but then I had them in my tc6 shocks too with no problems

I did try the kit ones and had the same issues, so I put the rsd ones back in

ed
Are you guys building the shocks according to the book, using the kit o-rings? If so both I had the same issue you all were having. Also if you guys are tightening down the bottom shock cap too much then this can also cause incsonsitities. I built mine using the rsd o-rings with a different method than the kit to building the shocks, and also did NOT tighten down my bottom shock caps all the way down or the same on each of them. I used some lock tite on the bottom cap on the adjusted the bottom from tightened all the way down to where they where free.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

As soon as my RSD bladders and o rings arrive, I will look into this with great detail to find the discrepancies. I'll post my findings soon after.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

As soon as my RSD bladders and o rings arrive, I will look into this with great detail to find the discrepancies. I'll post my findings soon after.
am very interested to see what you find.

ed
Old 03-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

You're planning to come to Camarillo on Sunday for the first points race? Nice. it should be a good race. Come over and introduce yourself. We can compare notes on the car.

Thanks,
Oliver
Awe shoot!
I was planning on being there but I will be out of town this weekend.
I'm the guy who bough the Impreza body from you at the HPI race so we've met.
Hopefully I can get out to the next non-points race.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

am very interested to see what you find.

ed
Me too...lol
I decided to hold off till my parts arrived.
By the way, your parts are in the mail!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.