Tech Fanatic

Default BLONTZ

CHECK YOU EMAIL
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SmittyPSU
Howdy Yinz!

I hope nobody has been snowed in too much. Anyway, I've been lurking around here for about a week now. If the username didn't give it away, I'm a student at Penn State. I've been driving RC cars since middle school, and I recently picked up an RC10GT2 to replace my much maligned RC10GT. It joins a fleet consisting of a B3, TC3, and an L2. It looks like you guys have a great track, and I look forward to checking it out. Snow aside, do you guys still run races in the cold?

Scott
scott,
nice on the gt2 gas truck.although altoona hasnt seen a gas truck race there in years.dousnt meen nobody will run them though.i know ed237 has one.and i think pipester has one also.
biggest classes by far for sure will be 1/8 buggy and sct spec.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Scott,
Although gas truck is a dead class just about everywhere we did run some mod truck at the end of last year. Im am sure you could run your gas truck with us electrics to put in some laps. Stop by and see us.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default e&n

Originally Posted by PADIRTLMJUNKIE
Scott,
Although gas truck is a dead class just about everywhere we did run some mod truck at the end of last year. Im am sure you could run your gas truck with us electrics to put in some laps. Stop by and see us.
dont forget, E + N =Forbidden....

lol

as far as the 4x4 slash class goes, i would just like to give my opion on it.

after running with a 3 cell lastnight, the truck is ssooo much more sontrollable in the air, and so much easyer to drive beleave it or not.

i think if it's going to be a spec'd class, it should be 3 simple rules
1: stock esc and motor.
2:must be sct body (any)
and 3: Must be Sct tires , anything made for sct, including sct beadlocks.

whatdoya guys think?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mike - I live in Duncansville which is about 8 miles south of the track and we have about 2 feet of snow here.

Smitty, We were running laps outdoors in Altoona well into November 09. I still have my GT2 but like Brian (PADirt) said, there are not many people race them anymore. Even so, I'm willing to dust mine off and run with you in Sportsmans or whatever class they can fit us into. RC racing is mostly about 1/8 scale and Short Course electric trucks these days.

There is an indoor carpet track in Richfield (not too far from State College) that runs 13.5 touring car. They have a thread and you should check it out if you havent already. A lot of the guys from Richfield have been to Altoona and vice-versa.

RC8BE - Actually Mike, I was a little dissapointed. I was hoping for something built from the ground up for electric like the Tekno RC8 conversion kit and not another retrofitted nitro platform.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Jim...i think i ran alum/green and composite/black...that set-up was pretty mellow on the bottom

clutch bearings...that is one of the things about the 8ight that i didn't like...i would run practice and two qual then replace them...run the third and main with some new ones...i would use an electric toothbrush and place the used bearings on a wire and place them in some wd40 and run the toothbrush on them for a minute or two...then spin them on a pencil point to see if they are smooth or not...i place them on a towel and let the wd40 run off...

look into TKO Special clutch bearings for the losi...i know some guys at McCullough's that only went through a couple sets this past outdoor season...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's a shame the 1/10th nitro trucks have lost their popularity. Any reason why?

The 1/8th scale are just too expensive unfortunately. The only reason I was able to pick up my GT2 was because I sold my hunting bow since I was the lucky recipient of a target bow (I shoot on PSU's archery team).
Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Nighthawk;6965706]dont forget, E + N =Forbidden....

lol QUOTE]

Just to clarify: I have no problem with E + N! I've been doing a lot of that the last couple years as the classes I enjoy the most (Mod/Gas Truck) have imploded.

I-Zuk, you of all people should recall how many times I raced your monster truck with my mod truck last year! And here is a shocker, I had a lot of fun too. But, I think we would both agree that even though we were probably capable of winning the B Main in 1/8 Buggy, we didnt belong there.

If you choose to run in a class were there are only 1 or 2 you I think you are the one who needs to be flexible. I have no problem with combining monster trucks, truggies, gas trucks, Mod Trucks, Mod Slash, E-Scales, 4wd Mod together to fill up a main and to have fun.

But, again, its not my decision!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Default losi clutch

Originally Posted by lovell
Jim...i think i ran alum/green and composite/black...that set-up was pretty mellow on the bottom

clutch bearings...that is one of the things about the 8ight that i didn't like...i would run practice and two qual then replace them...run the third and main with some new ones...i would use an electric toothbrush and place the used bearings on a wire and place them in some wd40 and run the toothbrush on them for a minute or two...then spin them on a pencil point to see if they are smooth or not...i place them on a towel and let the wd40 run off...

look into TKO Special clutch bearings for the losi...i know some guys at McCullough's that only went through a couple sets this past outdoor season...
Yeah i agree, the Losi clutch reqwires alot of work.
ran alot of gallons through mine last year at alot of different track, and the bearings will last, you just have to realy mantain the clutch.
I credit Rob with the great info and help on how to setup/mantain these things.
like every 2 racedays (sometimes every) gotta pull the thing apart and trim the shoes, it's very important to keep everything wearing straight and true, putting eqwal pressure on the bearings. also shimming is critical also.
just a tade of play,not much. i also switched to an O-donell clutch bell screaw, there longer, there one peice (built in washer) and most of all they take a 2.5mm driver , which as anyone that runs losi knows, it's a real tiny-easy striping stocker that they come with.
bearings, i was running Losi brand bearings, and there ok, but i switched to Answer r/c bearings, and not only are they FAR cheaper, (4 sets for 10-12 bucks,cheaper if bout by the 10 pack tube) but they last longer.
i've heard alot of different ways to treat the bearings, and i myself, simply put them in and run them they way they come out of the package.

when properly taken care of, i was getting between 4-6 racedays on average with this setup on aluminum shoes.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Default e&n

[QUOTE=Ed237;6965867]
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

lol QUOTE]

Just to clarify: I have no problem with E + N! I've been doing a lot of that the last couple years as the classes I enjoy the most (Mod/Gas Truck) have imploded.

I-Zuk, you of all people should recall how many times I raced your monster truck with my mod truck last year! And here is a shocker, I had a lot of fun too. But, I think we would both agree that even though we were probably capable of winning the B Main in 1/8 Buggy, we didnt belong there.

If you choose to run in a class were there are only 1 or 2 you I think you are the one who needs to be flexible. I have no problem with combining monster trucks, truggies, gas trucks, Mod Trucks, Mod Slash, E-Scales, 4wd Mod together to fill up a main and to have fun.

But, again, its not my decision!

maybe you missed the sarcasim in that post.... and dont worry, it was ment in a humoris way.

I agree with you, and am for E&N.

I simply think that if one or two people show up (new) with say,, E-8th buggys, and arnt able to run, that it will not be good for the track.

not my decision either.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lol

as far as the 4x4 slash class goes, i would just like to give my opion on it.

after running with a 3 cell lastnight, the truck is ssooo much more sontrollable in the air, and so much easyer to drive beleave it or not.

i think if it's going to be a spec'd class, it should be 3 simple rules
1: stock esc and motor.
2:must be sct body (any)
and 3: Must be Sct tires , anything made for sct, including sct beadlocks.

whatdoya guys think?
I do not think the 4X4 SCT class should be spec at all. First, the slash is one of the few SCT's that comes with a speedo and motor. Second, anything brushless is no longer spec or affordable. I believe the word spec and 4x4 do not co-exist together. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to run something spec, then stick with the 2wd where the vehicles are sold as is. I am sure many people are going to have the regular slash 4x4 and they will begin to gripe about the pe slash 4x4 being better and not able to keep up. I am going the jammin route and I believe Brent and a few others may be also with the hyper sc10. I think spec should exists for those rtr vehicles in the $250 and below price range. Note, I did say rtr vehicles.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Default sct

Originally Posted by jmackani
I do not think the 4X4 SCT class should be spec at all. First, the slash is one of the few SCT's that comes with a speedo and motor. Second, anything brushless is no longer spec or affordable. I believe the word spec and 4x4 do not co-exist together. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to run something spec, then stick with the 2wd where the vehicles are sold as is. I am sure many people are going to have the regular slash 4x4 and they will begin to gripe about the pe slash 4x4 being better and not able to keep up. I am going the jammin route and I believe Brent and a few others may be also with the hyper sc10. I think spec should exists for those rtr vehicles in the $250 and below price range. Note, I did say rtr vehicles.
I agree, Period.

like i said "IF it's going to be spec'd"

after reading alot and alot of different forums on them, and talking to freinds and family in the midwest that race, the genral specing of these trucks seems to be pretty genral, there making them run "Sct only wheels and tires of anykind" and "Any sct body, must be full width, no bug's ect."

thats pretty much what the rest of the country is going with, and some places are limeting to 2 cells, which i hope isnt going to be the case here in PA. 2 cells, atleast from what i've seen with my truck, realy kills it in the air. It looks like this class is just going to blowup and go completly nuts once spring breaks (it already is though) and i cant wait!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default vintage pics

ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM-hooters-race-005.jpg ALTOONA 04-05
Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree, Period.

like i said "IF it's going to be spec'd"

after reading alot and alot of different forums on them, and talking to freinds and family in the midwest that race, the genral specing of these trucks seems to be pretty genral, there making them run "Sct only wheels and tires of anykind" and "Any sct body, must be full width, no bug's ect."

thats pretty much what the rest of the country is going with, and some places are limeting to 2 cells, which i hope isnt going to be the case here in PA. 2 cells, atleast from what i've seen with my truck, realy kills it in the air. It looks like this class is just going to blowup and go completly nuts once spring breaks (it already is though) and i cant wait!
I agree with sct wheels and any tires. Body should be SCT also. Do you think the 3S is better just because of the added weight? Maybe adding weight can give it the same feel.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 AM
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default MORE PICS

Name:  opener 07.bmp
Views: 119
Size:  192.6 KB 2007 OPENER SAM,ME AND DOUGLAS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.