Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hello all,

dw: thanks for your advices... (un)fortunately I do have one of the newer cars, with the spring on the motor clamp. I did it like they say in the instructions. I believe it's not overtightened. The tires were new A25's that were laying around (not smashed though) in my tire box and never been used, ever.... I'll try it with only rims tonight, and locked extended shocks to really try to figure out if it's just a spring issue or a main tweak. I'm surprised about the steering throw being assymetrical by design! I thought that AE actually kept claiming that torque steer was NOT a problem with this car

Johnbull from sunny malta: lucky guy... it's pouring down like heck here! Fortunately we run indoors Yes, I know that every car requires some fiddling, and I didn't expect to find Mugen-like quality on this car. However I find such shortcomings hardly acceptable, especially for a high dollar "Factory Team" version! I'm sure it handles like a dream when it's properly setup. But if it requires spending half a day on the 4-scale board to get it right...

I run 8th scale onroad too. the brands I ran were successively BMT, Picco, Serpent, and then I tried a Mugen... well, I've only ran japanese cars from then, because evrything fits sooooo nice... I was hoping AE could at least better the European productions!

We'll see how the car goes in 10 days... 10 days to make it balanced, and have it track straight. Should be possible. Still, having to buy other manufacturer's (Losi) parts to make it square is WRONG

Thanks for the help yall, keep it coming

Paul
Old 11-14-2002, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

btw,

compensating is very natural. When you say "my son doesn't feel it", it doesn't mean it isn't there! You can be a very gifted driver from a "lines" point of view, but from a car "feeling" perspective, you can get used to everything, especially if you're good... But the problem doesn't diasppear... Let me develop:

Recently a track buddy of mine lets me try his car. I pull the trigger, and BAM the car hits the right board! I go back on track, do it slower this time, hit the brakes for the coming turn and BAM again it hits the left board... I tell my friend "your car's tweaked!" and he goes "bah, I never noticed it". After close examination, one of the shock shafts was bent and would not extend fully. But he never really felt it, because he was compensating with the wheel naturally.

One other example: yesterday nite, as described earlier, my car was not tracking straight, at all. But after a couple of battery packs, I could nail the throttle at the beginning of the straight, go full speed for all its length, jump on the brakes for the hairpin at the end, and start turning... all this time the car was driving on a straight line. I started thinking "oh well the problem cured by itself", until I realized all that time I was actually turning the wheel constantly, both directions, depending on which transient status the car was in... And then, just for kicks I tried nailing the throttle and the brakes with my left hand really off the radio... guess what happened... correct, it was all over the place.

The guy who sold me the car is a very experienced guy (actually one of the quickest in the nation), turned track owner, and we've been running together (he quicker, of course) for weeks now. He would SMOKE me with this very car. And it was already tweaked with him, of course!

What I mean is, no matter how unhealthy the car is (to a certain extent of course) you get used to it and compensate naturally! But the problem is still here...

Regards from rainy switzerland

Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-14-2002 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Can't remember where, but I think the uneven steering throw is so the servo won't lock when the car is turned all the way in one direction. It is easily compensated for with EPA and Dual Rate adj. It wouldn't have anything to do with torque steer at least in the straights.

You do have to set the tweak and droop carefully. All of the chassis are tweaked from the cooling process when they are made. The tweak is very consistent from car to car.

If you got the thing used, then you really should rebuild the whole car with the instructions and check for missing parts etc regardless of who owned it.

Sounds like you may have been a little hasty before you went to the track.

I've heard all sorts of different stories about the rear toe in. Some say their board's sticker was off, some say the car is off.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default sure...

... I was hasty when I went to the track! but I still wrenched on it a couple of hours after I figured out it wasn't straight... and it's still crooked. As I said, I'll work on it again tonight.

As for the rear toe-in not equal on both sides... you can actually see it by eye... and the Hudy tool (not the board, the plexiglas top plate) says it's asymetrical, even when you flip it around. No doubt about that, it is asymetrical!

Anyway, you're correct, every car requires some wrenching before it goes ok!

PS: you're from Austin, which is where I started racing electric TC before I moved... Do I know you?

Paul
Old 11-14-2002, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default And...

... one last question... How the heck does one spell asymetrical? two s's??? two m's ???

Paul
Old 11-14-2002, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Where and when did you race in Austin?

dennis

asymmetrical, per Bill Gates

Last edited by Dingus; 11-14-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Hi Lonestar.

I spoke to Oscar at Orion in Switzerland the day before yesterday, and he said it was raining.

I spoke to Caroline at Orion yesterday and she said it was sunny.

Now, today you write from Switzerland and say it's raining again.

Wow. It sounds a bit unsettled.

We had a rainy week last week but this week has been really nice. In fact I spent an hour at the track this afternoon in just a tee shirt.

Hope you get the TC3 right.

Good luck

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

RCCadet, thanks for the kind words. That was my old racer kit that I've had forever. I've listened to alot of things Kyle has told me and got it working pretty good. Think its about time for a new one though.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Losi Front end!!!

I have mixed reviews on that front end. I had problems with it, but that could have just been me. After installing it I broke two CVD's at the pin one right after another. Also-car didnt feel signicficantly better with them.

I will readily admit my breaking two CVD's in a row may have had nothing to do with the Losi steering blocks-but it sure was coincidental.
The durability should be better for sure because of the Graphite material used by Losi.

Just my 0.02!!

My car was VERY good before putting that front end on!!! Car felt "different" after putting it on (I reset toe, etc.) and not in a good way!!! I went back to the orginal and am much happier now!!!

Ray
Old 11-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pre-emptive STrike!!!!!

Hey rayhuang,

If you didnt hit anything you wouldn't break your CVD's.

rayhuang

There-beat you to it!!!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On the rear toe issue. Myself and some friends looked at 4 cars over the weekend. Two Factory teams, a team and a racer kit and each one had a different rear toe on the right side. One was close, two were ok but you could notice and the third was no doubt just by looking.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you may not remember this, but i think Tony Phalen said something about this issue. Associated acknowledged that there were problems with the hubs and tried to fix it. Tony also suggested that some people were putting the rear toe blocks on in such a way as to cause uneven toe. He suggested evenly sliding the block on, instedad of doing one side at a time. One side at a time is supposed to strees the hole on the r block and acn cause uneven toe
Old 11-14-2002, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Rear toe-in Problems.

I have a brand new FT tc3 just built and never ran and my rear toe reads 3 1/2 on the left wheel and 2 1/2 on the right wheel. This is on the hudy setup system. You can cleary see the just by looking at the tires. There is definately something wrong here. Can someone explain?

Martin.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have a p2k2 in my tc3. the manual says u can use up to a 28 tooth pinion with the 72 tooth spur. i have a 26t and the 72t spur. it works great. and i still have lots of top end. atleast enough for my track . if you race at a bigger track i would go with a 28t. if yer just playin around, speed always seems to be the number one thing in peoples minds .
Old 11-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Default P2k

The p2k can use a 30 if the track is big. I use 27 on small tracks and 28 on mid size tracks. If the track has a 125 to 130 foot straight away it will need a 29 or 30...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.