Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho ST-RR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Kyosho ST-RR?

Anything that needs to be immediately upgraded on the Kyosho ST-RR? Or any known flaws?

I have a Losi 8T and it is know for eating servos and clutches. An din my case has done both many times. I want something a little better.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Adviseable upgrades out of the kit:

IF348-1016 - Rear Blue Springs (Stiffer)
IS106-816 - Front Blue Springs (Stiffer)
IFW338 - Stronger Servo Saver Spring Set

Adviseable set-up advise:

- Put foam under the tank to where the weight / force of the front part of the tank is actually pushing upwards toward the screw that is holding it down.

- Shim the diffs when new to where there is ZERO side to side play and there is a slight notchyness when built. Once broken in they will feel like butter!

Other than that, please enjoy the best truggy on the market! ;-)
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

what about the front spindles? I've seen them on allot of racer's rides. Just preference or do the stockers break easily?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

The stock ones are alright but it is a highly upgraded item. Kyosho has there own upgraded version IFW332. Or you can get them from any number of aftermarket companies.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Some may install a stiffer front brace or tie wrap the end at the top bulkhead ball. I have seen them pop off. Keep an eye on the fuel tank and don't tighten it down snug. The tank is known to crack in hard use sometimes.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Has anybody tried the standard steering tie rod ends on there st-rr off the 777 wc? I am running proline LPR rims and tires ,so the rims will not hit or scrub at full lock .Or is there some other reason to run the st-rr steering tie rod ends
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
Adviseable upgrades out of the kit:

IF348-1016 - Rear Blue Springs (Stiffer)
IS106-816 - Front Blue Springs (Stiffer)
IFW338 - Stronger Servo Saver Spring Set

Adviseable set-up advise:

- Put foam under the tank to where the weight / force of the front part of the tank is actually pushing upwards toward the screw that is holding it down.

- Shim the diffs when new to where there is ZERO side to side play and there is a slight notchyness when built. Once broken in they will feel like butter!

Other than that, please enjoy the best truggy on the market! ;-)
I just placed my order for this truggy. I also ordered the parts you listed, Tony's Screws, diff shim kit, and fat boy o rings for the fuel tank.

I hope this truck is better to me than my Losi. I race allot indoor in 30 degree temps during the winter, so it will be interesting to see how Kyosho plastic holds up to the cold weather.

Never broke a part on my Losi that wasn't a clutch exploding or servo dying, so if the Kyosho solves those 2 problems I'll be good to go
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

I purchased my ST-RR about four months ago and also came from an 8ight-T. For me, the Kyosho is far superior in terms of handling and suspension. I had the same problems with the rear diff case and wasn't a fan of their 4 shoe clutch from the start. The first time I drove the ST-RR was in a 20 minute main where I managed to complete 2 more laps than I ever had with my 8ight-T. So far, my only complaint is that the front arms are rather easy to break. I had two 8ight-T's and I never broke anything on either of them, just like you. Since having the Kyosho, I've broken front arms several times. To me, the slightly delicate front arms are worth accepting for such a great all around performer.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jaylude22
I purchased my ST-RR about four months ago and also came from an 8ight-T. For me, the Kyosho is far superior in terms of handling and suspension. I had the same problems with the rear diff case and wasn't a fan of their 4 shoe clutch from the start. The first time I drove the ST-RR was in a 20 minute main where I managed to complete 2 more laps than I ever had with my 8ight-T. So far, my only complaint is that the front arms are rather easy to break. I had two 8ight-T's and I never broke anything on either of them, just like you. Since having the Kyosho, I've broken front arms several times. To me, the slightly delicate front arms are worth accepting for such a great all around performer.
That's very disappointing to hear the Arms are brittle Almost makes me want to not put this thing together. I had a hellfire before the Losi and it was a pack of arms a day. Not really looking to do that again.

So if you make a bad landing and come down on the left front will it break? what about doing car-wheels end over end?

Is there any after market arms for this thing?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had my ST-R from the day it came out, what 2+ years ago? I finally broke an A-arm at the end of last race season (November) after a really bad cartwheel screwing around. I still have on the other 3 original arms. To be honest, my ST-R, now with KMW Big Bores and BCE Chassis has been bullet proof. The only thing I don't have the ST-RR does is the chrome-molly gears, but I have never had a problem.

The only other thing I have broke/had fail was the rear diff case when I had a bearing fail and overheat causing the plastic to soften. I thought the ring and pinion was stripped but they weren't. They separated enough to not make contact and just spin. I also have never had a gas tank fail. I did see one guy with his new ST-RR this past summer break his tank first laps out. I wonder if Kyosho changed something. I wouldn't be afraid to get the vehicle. In a field of Losi's, Mugen's, Jammin's and 1 Hellfire, I failed to finish one race that wasn't due to a flame out. I'd say that is a good reliability record to me and what I have seen!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

I have had my ST-RR for 5 months with several races on it.I have broken 1 front arm only do to my mistake, head on into somebody .There is no problem with front arms on this truck .If they do break in a crash though I noticed that they break in area that they are designed to without causing other parts to break. I will take that any day.This is the best truggy period.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for clearing that up. That one guy made it sound like they break really easy. I'll have mine Tuesday.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

"littlemotor" has a brand new BCE chassis for
the Kyosho ST-RR for sale,now. Over on the
For Sale threads. It's one of the best upgrades
that you can do. Also he is a great guy to buy
your r/c items from.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey ryan when will the 8 hole pistons be avalible?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sp2thielen
hey ryan when will the 8 hole pistons be avalible?
I though those were already available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.