Search

new R/C owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new R/C owner

Hey all...

always wanted a r/c car, just bought one: Formula One 1:8

I don't know much about this sport, I'm not yet interested in racing, just having some fun on my own for now.

Anyone know how long it takes to charge my batter or how long it will last/charge?

did I get a good car for a beginner?

It didn't come with any instructions/manuals (although it's fairly easy to figure out how to use it) but, any web sites that have manuals/tips/tricks??

any help is appreciated, I'm attaching a pic of my car..

B-ish
Attached Thumbnails new R/C owner-copy-r_c_racing_car.jpg  
Old 02-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Anyone know how long it takes to charge my batter or how long it will last/charge?
This will depend on the capacity of the battery you got and the amps you will be charging at. the capacity should be something like 1800-3300 mah. what kind of charger did you get? does it list the charging amps or have the ability to select the amps?

did I get a good car for a beginner?
depends on what you want to do with it. the F! cars will force you to become a smooth driver. because they dont have a big bumper up front, you will get good very quickly or spend a fortune replacing broken front wings and front A arms. I have a 1:18 F! and love to drive it as it requires smooth throttle and steering control. it might have been better to start with a 1:10 sedan or a truck but if you aren't breaking parts, you may be ok.

It didn't come with any instructions/manuals (although it's fairly easy to figure out how to use it) but, any web sites that have manuals/tips/tricks??

you can read lots of tips on this site under the electric section. the main thing is to drive it in a controlled environment and get used to controlling it.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the reply!! your help is greatly appreciated.
I've only been driving the car around my apartment since the weather is so bad, I can't wait to get it out on the open road (lol).

I'll try to answer your question as well as I can:

<<what kind of charger did you get? does it list the charging amps or have the ability to select the amps?>>

12V
800 mAh (what the hell is an MAH??)
and it says 757 (this is all on the battery pack)
the pack looks like 6 AA batteries in a tightly wrapped package...

how long will it take to charge that and how many minutes do you think it will ride for?

thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Rookie

and where can someone buy more battery packs?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Regional Moderator

if it is using AA size batteries and is 1:8 scale then it is most likely meant to be played with as a toy. 800 is rather small by todays standards even for a battery pack made from AA size batts. you can get AA's up to 2500 mah in a nimh type chemistry at walmart and solder your own packs together. Check walmart and toysrus if you want to buy some pre made packs. they will be in the toy section at WM.

mah = milli amp hours it is a measure of the total energy a battery can store.

You can and should have fun with this car as you learn to drive. However, if you decide you want to step up to racing at any level, you will need to start over with a car that is designed for racing. Typically, they will use battery packs made from sub C size cells and will generate WAY more speed than what you have now. Additionally, you will be able to repair damaged parts or improve performance with aftermarket parts. The car you have now most likely is not repairable in the event that you crash it and break something.

Basically there are two levels of rc vehicles : the walmart/toysrus/department store types that are meant as toys and are basically disposable and the hobby type that while they may look like toys on the outside are really miniature versions of real race cars/trucks with all the same adjustability and options as their full size counterparts.

As for charging time on your vehicle, just divide the mah capacity of your pack by the output current of your charger and you will get your charging time.

Hope this helps
Old 02-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

so, 800/12= 66.

are you saying it will take about 66minutes to charge my pack?

...it seems I only get about a 20 minute usage time from my pack.

It was a blast, I wish it could last longer!!

my next question is, with my car, am I able to put in a higher number mah pack (assuming it's still 12V) without damaging the car?

I would like at least an hours drive time.