Joester's Questions and Comments thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joester's Questions and Comments thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone any suggestions? i took it out today with the same deal. real smoky and boggy, but it wont run if i make it leaner and the idle fluctuates all over the place...

also, i was looking at getting an aftermarket exhaust for it, is there any one brand that is better than the other?

thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea, take that Traxxas motor and toss it FAR away.

Then buy an OS 18, drop it in, tune it once and forget about it.

I've found the 3 traxxas motors I have are fickle little picky wenches when it comes to holding a tune across days.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

engines are engines and needs to be tuned often. weather change is key. there is no engine on the market period, that you can tune onces and forget it.

As long as it starts, play with the engine and use it as a learning tool before you run out and get another engine
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
engines are engines and needs to be tuned often. weather change is key. there is no engine on the market period, that you can tune onces and forget it.

As long as it starts, play with the engine and use it as a learning tool before you run out and get another engine
Correct, but there are many many motors out there that hold a tune better than a Traxxas Carb.

Only motors that a 3* drop in temp and a 2Mb drop in pressure make all your settings go byebye.

I can set an OS motor to run@ 260*, massive power and need nothing more than a 1/16 turn on needles to adjust for conditions.

Traxxas motors change tune if the wind changes directions.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Storydude1
Correct, but there are many many motors out there that hold a tune better than a Traxxas Carb.

Only motors that a 3* drop in temp and a 2Mb drop in pressure make all your settings go byebye.

I can set an OS motor to run@ 260*, massive power and need nothing more than a 1/16 turn on needles to adjust for conditions.

Traxxas motors change tune if the wind changes directions.
Ok!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The trx .15 pro is a really old engine, its design is over 10 years old. I had one on my original t-maxx. It is a gutless engine that is extremely hard to tune. In fact it at one point caused me to get sick of rc's and put them on the shelf for several years. I literally spent over a month trying to tune it only to have to retune it everytime i wanted to use it. It was never happy with any tune i put on it but tolerated the settings once in awhile. The best thing i ever did was drop in an os motor in its place. Once i did that my rig had tons of power and was easy to tune and maintain. So i concur, take that motor and throw it as far as humanly possible, its a steaming pile of garbage.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

well i guess i didnt do my reasearch before I bought a traxxas. i guess ill just have to fiddle with it every day because im saving for a motorcycle now and i dont want to spend the money on a new engine, lol
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

ANOTHER update, i ran out of my quart bottle of fuel and started using a new gallon of fuel and shes running like a champ, i guess i might have had contaminated fuel.

so now im looking at exhausts. are the traxxas branded ones any good?

like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-5483-RES...#ht_1493wt_911