Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carbon fiber chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default carbon fiber chassis?

Why dosn't anyone run a carbon fiber chassis on there buggies?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

they dont flex. It would be terrible. on my mugen chassis, if i stiffin it to much with to much bracing or support, it jumps like poo. I imagine carbon fiber would be 10 x's worse
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by popsrocket
Why dosn't anyone run a carbon fiber chassis on there buggies?
Some do! ...but for US tracks, they just don't work. I do believe though, once someone comes up with a non-linear, fully adjustable shock for 1/8th scale, carbon fiber will be the chassis material of choice.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Matrix Concepts Inc has a carbon fiber chassis for the eight buggy and truggy and are designed to flex just like the stock chassis. I was going to get a truggy chassis from them for my 8ight t 1.0, I'm just worried about grinding through the middle of the chassis (the non replaceable part) too quickly.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
they dont flex. It would be terrible. on my mugen chassis, if i stiffin it to much with to much bracing or support, it jumps like poo. I imagine carbon fiber would be 10 x's worse

FALSE...CF is more flexible then the stock alum chassis...TFT or Not.

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
Some do! ...but for US tracks, they just don't work. I do believe though, once someone comes up with a non-linear, fully adjustable shock for 1/8th scale, carbon fiber will be the chassis material of choice.
they Work..Trust me...Fully adjustable shocks (In the works User Tex.)

Originally Posted by Slider30250
Matrix Concepts Inc has a carbon fiber chassis for the eight buggy and truggy and are designed to flex just like the stock chassis. I was going to get a truggy chassis from them for my 8ight t 1.0, I'm just worried about grinding through the middle of the chassis (the non replaceable part) too quickly.

the wear isn't as bad as you would think...im going on near 2 season's on my buggy chassis and sure its a little scratched but No where NEAR ready to be replaced....my Skids i found a real nice way to Prevent them from wearing AT ALL with certain skids...so all in all i feel its 100% worth it.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default CF chassis

Doesnt on the amluminum stock chassis help with disperseing the heat off the chassis carbon fiber will not get the heat out. Just wondering?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
they Work..Trust me...Fully adjustable shocks (In the works User Tex.)
Perhaps they've found a nice thickness that'll work great - the first ones' that came out back in the day were too thick and stiff.

I love carbon fiber and would love to try one for my buggy. I'll have to make one. What is the thickness of yours? (Chassis, that is... get your mind out of the gutter.) :P

...and I read up now and again on the shocks. It seems there are two 'groups' working on them. Cannot wait to see what they come up with. With a great shock (like nitrogen), a super stiff chassis might just be the key. Not sure...
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

CF can be made as stiff or as flexible as the designer wants it to be. Aluminum is far cheaper for the manufacturers to provide, even if they sell spares for $60+ (an aluminum chassis plate costs a handful of dollars to make). The CF parts that exist today are mostly just eye candy (and fiberglass).
Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i stand corrected integra. I don't know why i thought that carbon fiber didn't flex. Heck, i have aluminum shock towers and carbon fiber and the carbon does flex more.

Why are they not making them? And how long until these revolutionary shocks come out? Will i have to give one of my arms or legs for it?

integra do you like the carbon fiber better then the aluminum?

Was thinking about getting the bce chassis.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jamminguy18
Doesnt on the amluminum stock chassis help with disperseing the heat off the chassis carbon fiber will not get the heat out. Just wondering?
Heat dissipation could be looked at as an issue....but its just plaint Isn't....the Matrix chassis has a milled alum insert that is bolted to the chassis which did get hot to the touch as well as the rest of the chassis maybe just not as hot as an alum chassis.

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
Perhaps they've found a nice thickness that'll work great - the first ones' that came out back in the day were too thick and stiff.

I love carbon fiber and would love to try one for my buggy. I'll have to make one. What is the thickness of yours? (Chassis, that is... get your mind out of the gutter.) :P

...and I read up now and again on the shocks. It seems there are two 'groups' working on them. Cannot wait to see what they come up with. With a great shock (like nitrogen), a super stiff chassis might just be the key. Not sure...

"making" a Cf chassis is a little more involved on 1/8 due to the Kick in the front of the chassis which can be done in a couple ways....like Robert at Matrix and an Actual Mold made where the chassis is 100% CF....OR like how a shop over in the UK went about it using a alum blank with the kick pre bent and went and wrapped the alum plate in composite....there are downsides imo but i have yet to get one in hands to prove some of the thing's i see.

All chassis need Flex....a Stiff chassis will result in a poor handling Twitch machine that isn't very fun to drive no matter What set-up you try....chassis flex is directly related to traction like it or not.

Shocks are something that's still in the works....Tex is a man of his words and he Will get them done sooner or later i have faith in him.

Originally Posted by Davidka
CF can be made as stiff or as flexible as the designer wants it to be. Aluminum is far cheaper for the manufacturers to provide, even if they sell spares for $60+ (an aluminum chassis plate costs a handful of dollars to make). The CF parts that exist today are mostly just eye candy (and fiberglass).

I Agree most of the Rc stuff on the market is Eye Candy SSG composite....Some of it will withstand the abuse for a while but eventually the resins fail and de-laminate on a big hit.

Originally Posted by dreaux
i stand corrected integra. I don't know why i thought that carbon fiber didn't flex. Heck, i have aluminum shock towers and carbon fiber and the carbon does flex more.

Why are they not making them? And how long until these revolutionary shocks come out? Will i have to give one of my arms or legs for it?

integra do you like the carbon fiber better then the aluminum?

Was thinking about getting the bce chassis.
Tex is working on the shocks as far as i know...there was some problem's with the initial production run or something along those lines that im sure will get sorted sooner than later.

the CF is Different in its own respect.....I run it on my E buggy and feel the weight drop is the biggest part.

Chassis wear can be an issue if you dont run certain brand skid plate's...the Matrix chassis does have replaceable front and rear skids but once you wear through those your into the chassis material which obviously cant be just swapped for new parts So if you run a Sumo skid up front and a De on the rear you basically dont have to worry about wear at all.

BCE No comment.....PM me if needed.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

A lot of people have read and hear about these shocks but there has been nothing to be noteworthy about.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default CF Chassis

I am interested in the directions this thread has gone. Back in the 80's I worked for many years for the company the started the whole carbon fiber chassis move. Composite Craft.
I won't say all of it but alot of the carbon produce for our hobby is just bling.
Carbon produced to enhance the proformance of the car can be layed up and produced to be as stiff or flexable as you like and the flex can be controled in any direction.
As far as the issue of heat sinking the engine not pulling heat into the crankcase is a good thing. The heat should go out the head. The cooler the crankcase is the cooler the fuel/air charge is hence more HP.
Up untill now I have never heard of flex in a race car chassis being a good thing. It was always run as stiff of chassis possible and use the suspension to set up the car.
Just my 3.5 Cents
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
A lot of people have read and hear about these shocks but there has been nothing to be noteworthy about.
tex has had some stuff come that put the shocks on hold. . . . . i have worked with the most recent incarnation though, and it will be more than worth it. . . . .. he plans to be back on them in a few months

i have never once in my life seen a CF chassis on an 8th scale, probably due to their cost !!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

I am interested in the directions this thread has gone. Back in the 80's I worked for many years for the company the started the whole carbon fiber chassis move. Composite Craft.
Thanks for my RC-10 Chassis back in 1990 or so.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Up untill now I have never heard of flex in a race car chassis being a good thing. It was always run as stiff of chassis possible and use the suspension to set up the car.
Just my 3.5 Cents
Fortunately that is Incorrect...chassis flex is part of the game and there's no 2 ways about it.

Originally Posted by annonymous
tex has had some stuff come that put the shocks on hold. . . . . i have worked with the most recent incarnation though, and it will be more than worth it. . . . .. he plans to be back on them in a few months

i have never once in my life seen a CF chassis on an 8th scale, probably due to their cost !!

cost isn't that big of a difference from Stock to CF especially with the matrix buggy chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.