Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor? >

Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor?

Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor? I know it will add some weight to the car, but it seems like a pretty good idea when just doing some engine tuning.

If you've had any experience with Venom Racing's Smart Temp (http://www.venom-racing.com/products.../vst/index.htm) and/or Micro Temp Monitor (http://www.venom-racing.com/products...mvtm/index.htm), I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

I would recomend just using a very good hand held temp gun, this will be better because you will be able to use in helping tune other engines of fellow racers or hobbiest. Remember a temp gun or probe are use as a aid in engine tuning. You will use your sense of sight and hearing more for tuning your engine than anything else. Always watch for plenty of smoke in the turns and listen to your motor talk to you on what it needs. Engine should have a nice clean two stroke sound to it, no 4 stroking or lean bogging sounds. Good Luck Dude
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc racing dude
I would recomend just using a very good hand held temp gun, this will be better because you will be able to use in helping tune other engines of fellow racers or hobbiest. Remember a temp gun or probe are use as a aid in engine tuning. You will use your sense of sight and hearing more for tuning your engine than anything else. Always watch for plenty of smoke in the turns and listen to your motor talk to you on what it needs. Engine should have a nice clean two stroke sound to it, no 4 stroking or lean bogging sounds. Good Luck Dude
What does your motor say to you mjn
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

rc racing dude: Thanks for the tips. I do have a temp guage - probably not the best, but I was looking for two things; (1) Easy of use - I just have to look down and the temp is updated automatically every 10 seconds and (2) Maximum temp reading without having to think about it - I just press the button and it's there.

What I don't want to do, is buy a product that doesn't do the job (i.e. the temp readings are significantly off) or buy one of the Venon temp monitors when a better product is out there.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
rc racing dude: Thanks for the tips. I do have a temp guage - probably not the best, but I was looking for two things; (1) Easy of use - I just have to look down and the temp is updated automatically every 10 seconds and (2) Maximum temp reading without having to think about it - I just press the button and it's there.

What I don't want to do, is buy a product that doesn't do the job (i.e. the temp readings are significantly off) or buy one of the Venon temp monitors when a better product is out there.
i have a on board temp monitor brand new, never used still in the box. it is made by eagle tree systems. you can go to their website at www.eagletreesystems.com. i paid $350 for it. will sell for $200.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

joemugen: Wow! Looks awesome! - Just like full-scale professional racing telemetry gear. Very, very tempting. I'll need to do some homework on this one before making a purchasing decision. I guess my only question is, why did you decide not to use it?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

just as i bought it my track went out of business. then i went back to college to finish my schooling and just never got back into racing. i still have all my stuff and hope to get back to racing once i graduate. but, i bought this for the same reason you are thinking. it really is a pretty neat gadget, i actually seen another member at my local track use it before i bought it. he is on this forum by the name of jdesoto (or close to that). i am sure he wouldnt mind answering questions about the product as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks joemugen. I'll get back to you in a few days if I decide to get it.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

no problem... remember, its always better to just learn how to tell if en engine is running too hot by sight and sound, but it is a cool tool to use to help teach you.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

I have a Venom Smart Temp and it is a accurate temp indicator.
When you put it where they suggest, then you get high temp readings.
But they are correct.
(I calibrated in boiling water and it said 100 degrees exactly)
It has a max temp memory, so you can see the highest temp reached.

The customer service of Venom is great.

That was all positive....
Now the negative:
The loss-of-radiosignal-failsafe kicks in very early: distance maybe 50 metres.
When you disconnect the VST, then there is no loss of signal...
It looks like it absorbs radiosignals....

So I took it off.
Too bad...it is a nice indication.
But (as said before): the ears and eyes are the best tuning tools.
It's a nice-to-have-thingy: first it is great, but after a while you won't be using it and it will be catching dust.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info Ridder!

It seems like I'm either forgetting to take the temperature (i.e. fueling up the car to continue practicing) - or I don't have the temp gauge on me (i.e. into impound and straight to turn marshalling). The other day, after a few laps, my engine started reving out of control, because it started running super lean. After I walked from the driver's stand, got the car and killed the engine, I was so focused on trying to figure out what the problem was, I forgot to take the temperature!

If the temp part works well, I may just get the temp monitor. The failsafe seemed like an added bonus, but not if it doesn't work right!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

I use the MIP temp sensor!
Attached Thumbnails Can you recommend an on-board engine temperature monitor?-02240011.jpg  
Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

It is possible to switch off the failsafe part of the VST.
Then you have a temp monitor and batt failsafe left.
But I don't know if it still "absorbs" radio range when radio failsafe is swithed off.
I didn't wanna try.
It isn't nice when it hits full brakes at the backstraight because it thinks it is out of range.
But it is worse when the failsafe is switched off and it gets out of range.....

Maybe I'll write Venom about it.
I heard about this problem before.
I got a brandnew VST when my first VST it's voltage indicator was wrong.
The Venom guys are very helpfull.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

stick with the venom micro temp monitor. my friend has it.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

First, thanks to everyone for the tips. I do realize that the "traditional" methods of tuning are the tuning methods of choice and I will continue to use those methods as well.

The telemetry data capture system is really starting to intrigue me. I think there is really a lot that I can learn about throttle, RPM and temperature. The OS 12 TZ(P) T3 is suppose to get 1.5HP and 33,500RPM - how will I ever know that I'm even close to that? Throttle is also another issue that I'm trying to analyze - what type of RPM can I get if the throttle is at 80%, 90% and 100%? Am I wasting fuel at the top end? How consistent am I in controlling the throttle on the low end? What does the temperature curve look like during a race? How does it fluctuate? What do the RPMs and temperature look like when I burnout a glow plug? What do the RPMs look like when I'm starting to lose compression? All good info to know.

Until my eyes and ears get accustomed to how the engine is suppose to be properly tuned, I don't see why this wouldn't be a system worth investing in. In addition, the computer geek in me would really like the opportunity to over-analyze all this data that can be collected.

Joemugen:: When did you buy this system? Looks like they upgraded the memory, added a lossless compression algorithm and improved the accuracy of the voltage and current readings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.