Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my buggy still competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is my buggy still competitive?

Hi all, new to the forums and in need of opinions. I have recently been wanting to get back into the hobby after a 3 year hiatus. I use to race an mbx5. I would only need to drop in a new motor and maybe $100 in parts to get it running again. I realize this buggy is obsolete now and many new models have come out since ive raced. Will this buggy still be competitive if i were to use it now? or should i just buy a new, say losi 8ight for $289 or so that they are going for now?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

yah the mbx5r is still a good car. my buddy races with it and he does pretty good. a lot of the new cars including the new mbx6 are a lot lighter and thinner and make them handle a lot better.

im sure if you just drive enough you could still be competitive with a mbx5.

the losi 8ight is so cheap cause the new 2.0 came out. i think that one goes for around 600$. but the losi 8ight 1.0 is still a good car and is still very competitive.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

having a brand new car doesn't mean that you're the fastest..skill does..with that being said the MBX5 is still competitive and as a matter of fact I know of some people who haven't made the jump yet and are still doing just fine...so the extended version to your answer is yes..your car is still competitive!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

i drove the wheels of a 5r with jammin big bored all summer
and it still is to this day my back up car
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Rookie

thanx for the replies. this is a bone stock x5 btw. not an r or even a prospec...what am i missing out on by not getting a new buggy?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SoHotRightNow
thanx for the replies. this is a bone stock x5 btw. not an r or even a prospec...what am i missing out on by not getting a new buggy?
the new 6 is really good.
the losi take time to learn to drive you got let the car do it thing not push it
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

I currently race a Kyosho 777WC, which is pretty much on the same level as far as "tehnological advancement" or whatever you want to call it. I can tell you from my first R/C racing season this past summer that you have every chance at finishing well at a local race with your MBX5 as anybody does with whatever buggy they have, on any track, on any day. Point blank. No if, ands, or buts about it!
Now, what you need to ask yourself is, Would I really be that much faster with maybe a MBX6? Some say (even experienced racers) that when they stayed with their current chassis manufactuer, but purchased their newest platform their lap times decreased marginally. Maybe you would be faster with the new car, but would you be fast enough to catch the guy that was in front of you when you drove your old car?

OK
Say you buy a current platform from a different manufactuer. Losi 2.0, XRAY 808, Hotbodies D8, Kyosho MP9, AE RC8 or whatever..... it doesnt really matter. You may have a driving style that conficts with the handling characteristics of one of these cars, which will take time to tune it to your liking. Or, one of these cars may feel like its connected to you psychically and get better with every change you make. You wont know until you drive one of them, and you will not drive one until YOU GET YOUR MBX5 READY FOR THE TRACK, BURN SOME NITRO TO WORK THE BUGS OUT AND SHAKE OFF THE RUST. THEN RACE SOME GUYS AND ASK TO TRY OUT THEIR CARS AND SEE IF ONE MAKES YOU HAPPIER THEN WHAT YOU HAVE NOW!!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If your interested I have a MBX5R in great shape, with tons of spare parts ,lots of arms, drive shafts, fuel tank etc. etc. etc. , and 1 sets of crime fighters, 1 set of lugs with 90% tread left, $150 + shipping. Just thought I would throw this into the conversation. Also you can transfer parts off of the MBX5 to the R version. Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

good points there. thank you...i have some serious pondering to do. i actually always fought the x5. it was a great car, dont get me wrong, but something about it didnt gel right with me and i had to compensate a lot for what it wasnt doing. i think this was more of a setup issue though. I am looking for a buggy that has tons of turnin and doesnt push. my x5 was always pushing.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Truggyman
If your interested I have a MBX5R in great shape, with tons of spare parts ,lots of arms, drive shafts, fuel tank etc. etc. etc. , and 1 sets of crime fighters, 1 set of lugs with 90% tread left, $150 + shipping. Just thought I would throw this into the conversation. Also you can transfer parts off of the MBX5 to the R version. Thanks
did you say $130 shipped? hmmm...

can you sent pix?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

Its funny you said the Mugen had a "push" you didnt like. My brother had a Hyper 7 with pivot-ball suspension like Mugen uses. We made changes to the set up but it never really went away. I think the PBS had alot to do with it.
The MBX5R I drove reminded me of that Hyper 7 push and it has turned me away from Mugen, just didnt fit my driving style.
A new car with a lot of turn in that i have driven is the XRAY 808.
Its real "light on its feet" feeling and real resposive, but that bit me a couple times when i pushed the limit. I havent driven a Losi buggy but people say they have a similar feel. The chassis design is very similar between the two.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Find a nice clean 5r . Use your car for spare parts. Once you get back into the swing of things then make a decision. No need making any quick decisions when you have not ran in about 3 years. your not even sure what else is out there that you might like. Get the chance to drive some other rides while your at the track. Visibly see how other cars are performing and actually get to ask owners questions face to face. All the time you will be having fun and knocking the rust off.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoHotRightNow
did you say $130 shipped? hmmm...

can you sent pix?
http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr53/MBX6/

$130 shipped is pretty cheap, maybe $130 plus shipping
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCWC
I havent driven a Losi buggy but people say they have a similar feel. The chassis design is very similar between the two.

Similar..... more like Outright Stole the layout and basic design. props to you Mr hudy or w/e his name is.