Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight or jammin

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Just go with what your 1st pick was .. you will always second guess yourself no matter what you buy .. and you will always get biased opinions telling you what you should get..if someone owns an losi they will tell you to get an 8ight and vise versa with jammin or whatever.....my point is, people will most of the time tell you to get what they have.. like some guy will come in andnsay "dooood get the XTM buggy its the best!!!"

Just get what you want....my only advise is to get a product that you can easily find parts for...

Oh and i own a Jammin.. they are the best so you should get one..JK..
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

My tools are all metric, so I will pick jammin.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

no get a losi the jammin is the same thing as the kyosho k3
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyy
no get a losi the jammin is the same thing as the kyosho k3
see what i mean...
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If your new to racing 8th scale you may want the Jammin. It is a very solid and dependable buggy. The best drivers can run just about any buggy and be fast and have very little breakage.

I can't comment on how the Losi drives - but it breaks more and has more issues than the Jammin. The Jammin is a very dependable buggy and parts are available even if you need to order them. I've found most local hobby shops (in my area) don't carry the parts for 1/8 buggies. If you have a local shop with parts selection for a buggy - that should be a factor.

Keep in mind that much of the advice you get is from experienced drivers who can make many laps on a clean track without crashing. If that isn't your situation - buy a dependable buggy you can grow with.

My opinion is the Jammin or Mugen are a good bet.

I run the Associated and it isn't a buggy that will take abuse like the Jammin.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm guessing that since you already have an AD2 and you love it then you probably also have the throttle control skillz that go along with running 2wd trucks. I would go with the Losi. I have driven mostly onroad and years of 2wd offroad stuff and the 8ight just felt natural too me. Like running 2wd mod but with more forward bite.

Can't wait to try out the O'donnell though! (shameless plug)
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the tracks you race on are rutted, the Jammin will be much easier to drive than the Losi. If your tracks are smooth, than the Losi will be faster. I ran a Losi all year, and the car is EXTREMELY fast. It becomes a handful when the track blows out though.

The Losi chassis is extremely durable, as others have said. I've found that you need to keep a close eye on wear in the drivetrain, specifically the pin in the center front driveshaft and diff cases to maximize its performance.

On the other hand, I've heard the quality of the Jammin drivetrain parts is suspect. I haven't run the car personally, so I can't comment. The Jammin will also require the new Super Big Bore shocks that were just released.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmmm... people are saying "Mugen" and "Jammin," so here's my take. I'm a novice driver. I HAVE a MBX5 Prospec (NOT the new R, but I do have the R front hingpin holder on it.) The Mugen is tough, like a tank. It also handles about like a tank. Turn the wheels... wait a little bit... keep waiting... something's bound to happen soon... oh... there it's finally starting to turn. I haven't driven a Jammin, but it's supposed to have traction like the Mugen (which the Mugen DOES have traction) but turn better.

The Losi is a different animal. Tell it to do something, and it's almost done before you finish the thought. No waiting around, no pushing into corners, no slop. It is like the difference between an axe and a scalpel.

I've been driving about 8 months. Started with a crappy RTR Ofna, then went to the Mugen. I drove Ed Garcia's Caster on Sunday, and Brian Cobb's Losi. Ed's car is like a Mugen that went on a diet and learned how to turn... but it's a little loose, too much for me to handle. (That is his setup, not a comment on the car) Build quality looks as good as the Mugen, which means equal to anything but an Xray.

When I got ahold of Brian's car, it felt natural and easy to drive from the very first. I was faster with it without even trying to push it than I ever could be with the Mugen. Not a little faster, a LOT faster... at least 5 seconds per lap, maybe more.

Note that I've done EVERYTHING to that Mugen to try to make it turn, and it is better than it was, but it is still a slow, heavy pig. You have to set the nose with brake going into the corner, power out of it, or it just pushes like a dump truck. It's too much work to drive. One of the gas truck guys drove it and was appalled at how bad it was. If you started in a 2wd, don't even think about the Mugen. You'll be really unhappy.

I haven't driven a Jammin, but they look really stable and hooked up. Not as nimble as the Losi though. Again, it might be TOO tame if you are used to 2wd, but it is a lot more nimble than the Mugen.

The Losi is NOT loose and twitchy like a lot of folks say. My Mugen (with the current setup) is MORE tail happy, without having the turning ability. That car absolutely rocks!

If you want something tougher, for less money... look at the Caster. It's down in the price range of the really cheap stuff, but with much better quality. It's lighter than the Mugen, and nimble, but a little tail happy. It will step out on you and you have to catch it... again, shouldn't be a problem if you drive a 2wd. I won't say it is the equal of the Losi... but then again, it's in the neighborhood of HALF the cost, and in the right hands it is a capable car.

Just my $.02
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

p.s. I'm not meaning to bag on the Mugen. It's a GREAT beginner car, very stable and forgiving, and it can be fast if you can deal with it's flaws. You have to pretty much telegraph what you want it to do. If you drive 2wd, you won't be happy with it. If you have never driven anything before and want a car that will help you grow, get a Mugen. If you are used to something that requires as much finesse as a 2wd, you aren't going to like driving a Mugen.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

domit if your mugen doesnt turn its the set up ....front hinge pin "upgrade" isnt what makes an R different it is the steering and the more travel suspension... all be it a prospec has less steering than the R but it still turns lol quite well too. its not as nimble as a losi i will admit but if you set it up right a mugen is a very good+consistant buggy reguardless what anyone says... i can add probably 6 other buggies to the mix but being how he is asking about 2 of them i would lean more towards a losi if he is willing to get used to the car (which can and might not even be an issue).
Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A friend of mine has lately swithched from a losi 8 buggy to a jammin cr. He said that the jammin was so much better espically durability. He had a problem with just about everything on the losi. The jammin has been great for him so far though. Right now if I had to pick any 1/8 buggy I would probably go with the associated RC8. I saw a few of them a couple weeks ago and they were amazing, they handled great and were dialed. They killed all of the losi's.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

xray.....all the way
Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KThatcher
see what i mean...
i have raced both cars and the losi is a lot batter but thats me is all what you like.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenlife
domit if your mugen doesnt turn its the set up ....front hinge pin "upgrade" isnt what makes an R different it is the steering and the more travel suspension... all be it a prospec has less steering than the R but it still turns lol quite well too. its not as nimble as a losi i will admit but if you set it up right a mugen is a very good+consistant buggy reguardless what anyone says... i can add probably 6 other buggies to the mix but being how he is asking about 2 of them i would lean more towards a losi if he is willing to get used to the car (which can and might not even be an issue).
As for my setup: 40-30 shocks with grey springs and stock pistons, 5-5-2 diffs, 2.75 rear toe, about 2 front toe, 3.5 camber all the way around (that actually helped, even though it SOUNDS wrong!) (I usually run Panther or Werks tires, which give a good contact patch with that camber setting- not so great if I put Crimefighters on there!) ) 1.9mm front bar, rear bar ends moved in to stiffen the rear, front shocks in the INSIDE hole on bottom, 2nd hole from inside on top, rear shocks on outside hole bottom, 1 hole out on top, caster maximized for on-power steering. The car is pretty loose, but still pushes. Rear arms all the way back to keep more weight on the front tires. Even with all of that, it pushes. I'm out of ideas without adding weight to the front of the car.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

You are going to hear so many opinions on a question of this nature. I have owned a jammin and it was an excellent buggy. Very stable, lots of traction, and would steer with anything. While I have not owned a losi I have driven several of my friends losi buggies. The cars are great with the "proper setup". It will come down to your driving style mostly but I will say this, the jammin is very user friendly as you can just build it, throw it down ,and start making laps as to with the losi it may take you a while to find the right setup. And as far as waiting for a Mugen to steer that is user error. Any car can have good steering if setup properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.