Search
Like Tree12Likes

Best way to improve lap times??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Best way to improve lap times??

Im really looking to step up my game for the 2011 racing season in 1/8 offroad. What do you recommend in improving one's lap times on the track?

Is it understanding car/truck setups more? And able to adjust your car/truck to track conditions.

Equipment i.e Radio system, tyres, car brands?

Or is it practice?

Last year I did not do alot of practice just ran a race prolly once a month either a local race or a RC Pro Series event. I would like to get in practice at least once a week to get me where I want to be in the Open class. What is some of your practice schedules in being really competitive in a Open class, once a week, twice a week, every other week etc..etc...
Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Practice, practice and more practice and remember slow is fast, every time you get marshalled you lose an average of 7 seconds.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a good setup , drive consistent & practice practice practice . Have a good tire selection cause IMO tires are 85 % of a good setup .
Old 12-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Don't crash.. Push your car as hard as you can in practice until you crash, then back it off just enough during the races, or change the set up to allow you to push it harder..

As far as equipment goes a quality Radio is way more important then most people realize.. Well having it and being able to adjust it to help you out.

I think most all car brands are farily level, with certain brands lending more toward certain driving styles. Motors are in the same situation, comes down to what you like and can afford. Tires are a big key to set up the right tires or wrong tires can make or break a set up.

Ability goes a long way too.. I've seen guys come in that have never raced and spank butts, and I've seen guys that spend tons of time setting up and tweaking get spanked.

Set up is a big factor, and the right set up with the right tires can make a car stick like glue, where the wrong set up or wrong tires can cause you to over drive the car..

But all in all it comes down to practice, being IN-TUNE with your buggy/truggy and knowing when something is right or wrong, and knowing what it will or won't do is only learned by spending the time on the stand and behind the trans..

Hope my rambling helps, and good luck to you in the 2011 out door season. I know I am looking forward to mine..
2026RC likes this.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes a good radio is the most under estimated items on this hobby.
2026RC likes this.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Rookie

I would say practice is a big part of it.. But take sometime when your at a race. Watch some of the fast guys lines.. And pay attention to the way they navigate the track. Also it helps to do a walk around the track an look at it from a different perspective. But most of all practice practice practice...
Old 12-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

My equipment is good...good as any... I have always bought what I thought was the best out there in my opinion
My Equipment:

RC8TCE/RC8B
3PKS Radio Spektrum 2.4 HRS module
Werks Motors and pipes
Hitec 7955 Servo's
ProLine Tires
Jconcepts Bodies and Wings

The base setup are from Ryan's Roar set ups but I adjust a little from them..
Old 12-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

SLOW DOWN !!!!!
Fast is Slow and vice versa.
Start slow and build speed/momentum
Being consistent is key

If you don't believe me ask any local fast guy
Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

All the advice about practice is spot on. THEEEEE number one mistake is see novice drivers make is carrying too much speed into the corner and blowing the fast line. Each time that happens, even if you don't need to get marshaled, you lose up to half a second. If you multiply that by the number of turns at your track, then it adds up quickly. The "fast" guys always hit their braking points and take each corner tight. They're not getting on the throttle too early and pushing wide coming out of the corners either. They wait until the car rotates enough that it's pointed in the right direction, and THEN get on the throttle. That's why you'll always hear "slow is fast." Going way too deep into the corner and throwing dirt all over the place may look exciting and fast, but the truth is, a more controlled approach to each corner and allowing the car to roll through the apex on a tight line beats the dirt burners all day long. If you can work on controlling your pace and smoothing out your driving style, you'll be much faster.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

there's no substitute for track time.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

everything stated above. I run indoor carpet in winter which does help. Also have a tc3 with drift tires. When weather is good, I am strictly dirt.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

You need a coach to work with you. If you practice wrong you will learn wrong. Would make a great magazine article!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

more practice

slow down a bit, ever have your tune off? your fat motor won't clear out but no one passes you? and you pass all the upside down guys and your laps are faster? less power/clutch helps. when i drove sc class i had my speedo dialed way down on punch and had to wait for the power and got it around pretty good that way.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Im stepping up from sportsman to open I signed with Werks Racing this winter but the rule with RC Pro Series if you have % of engine or chassis sponsorship you must run in the Open class. I finished 12th in national points in sportsman arena truck and like 17th in buggy. I qualified in every A main in truggy but one race. Im just really looking at what all you Open guys are doing to be competitive..Is it the weekly practice that keeps you on your game?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

practice practice practice, dont stick to one scale of racing.....mix it up and try some 1/10 offroad or 1/12 carpet........keep practicing and be very serious about it in a positive way....dont forget to be courteous to others and have fun along the way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.