Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
School me on nitro motor maintenance for racing. >

School me on nitro motor maintenance for racing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

School me on nitro motor maintenance for racing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default School me on nitro motor maintenance for racing.

I have a Losi 8ight t 2.0 RTR with the stock Losi 454 motor with about a gallon and a half thru it(prolly only like a 2/3 a gallon at race tune). When do you guys start changing parts like bearings, cranks, piston/sleeve, connecting rod, and clutches. I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much nitro is gonna cost me to race in the long run. Seems to be ridiculous and electric may be looking better.

I did an air leak test with soap and water blowing thru the HSN and found a small one in the front bearing. Motor ran fine last time i ran it. It seems the air would take the path of least resistance ie the carb opening until the bearing got too bad.

Thanks!

Bearings
crank
piston/sleeve
connecting rod
clutch
clutch bearings
Old 04-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bacchus
I have a Losi 8ight t 2.0 RTR with the stock Losi 454 motor with about a gallon and a half thru it(prolly only like a 2/3 a gallon at race tune). When do you guys start changing parts like bearings, cranks, piston/sleeve, connecting rod, and clutches. I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much nitro is gonna cost me to race in the long run. Seems to be ridiculous and electric may be looking better.

I did an air leak test with soap and water blowing thru the HSN and found a small one in the front bearing. Motor ran fine last time i ran it. It seems the air would take the path of least resistance ie the carb opening until the bearing got too bad.

Thanks!

Bearings
crank
piston/sleeve
connecting rod
clutch
clutch bearings

Clutch bearings= new ones before the mains and run them at the next race for practice and quals.I use buck a bearings = $2.00 per race day/weekend

Clutch depends on what you run for shoes.On average I think 3-4 race day/weekends price will vary depending on what you want to run = aprox $20 for shoes $15 for clutch bell.( I am sure you can get way more than 3-4 race weekends as well depending on what shoes you run example long life Losi shoes)

bearings,crank,piston/sleeve,connecting rod= run the 454 till it blows.Dont waste money on rebuilding it.You can buy a complete new motor for $200 that will blow it away performance wise for example Werks B5.Im sure you can get 5+ gallons from your 454 if its kept tuned properly and air filter maintained.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

electric is alot cheaper. but i thoroughly enjoy engine maintenance and tuning, rebuilding etc. I spent so much time learning and practicing that electric just seems fake. Like a toy, easy way out. They even sound like toys, and there is no smell. The races are not nearly as exciting.

Get you a quality engine in the 200 dollar range. Some dynamite max life shoes (don't know how long they last because mine are still great after 5 gallons). Read up and educate yourself on tuning, change your airfilter frequently, use after run oil.

If you know how to tune and take care of your stuff and make it last, it is a blast. Half the fun, easily.

And trust me, i have taken my lumps. i have 4 engines right now and all run very well. Any one of them can hang.

but i had to screw up (a bit more then normal people) to learn what i know.

I have a picco i am about to mod with my dremmel. Just for the heck of it

can't do that with a brushless!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Don't get me wrong i'm nitro to the core. I love working on the motor and tuning. I just don't like high reoccurring expenses. That's why i'm trying to gauge what everyone else running nitro is doing.

Do you guys blow the grease out of the clutch bearings before installing?

Whats the best clutch for the losi 8ight t 2.0?

These questions in addition to the above.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Once the 454 is worn out i'll get a new motor for sure but will probably rebuild the 454 as a backup.

I do hear the Werks B5 is prolly the best value.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dash riprock
Clutch bearings= new ones before the mains and run them at the next race for practice and quals.I use buck a bearings = $2.00 per race day/weekend

Clutch depends on what you run for shoes.On average I think 3-4 race day/weekends price will vary depending on what you want to run = aprox $20 for shoes $15 for clutch bell.( I am sure you can get way more than 3-4 race weekends as well depending on what shoes you run example long life Losi shoes)

bearings,crank,piston/sleeve,connecting rod= run the 454 till it blows.Dont waste money on rebuilding it.You can buy a complete new motor for $200 that will blow it away performance wise for example Werks B5.Im sure you can get 5+ gallons from your 454 if its kept tuned properly and air filter maintained.
+1
Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Whats the best clutch for the losi 8ight t 2.0?
Dynamite Max-Life shoes on your choice of springs.

The dynamite shoes last forever. One set lasted me 2 races a week for a month and a half. They were at the 23.4mm mark when I finally changed them out.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

i'll try the dynamite clutch when its time. Oh yeah i'll need a 60 dollar pipe to go with that 200 dollar motor. When does it stop?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Never...

If you're going to get the Werks B5, I suggest you get a 2013 pipe.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...old-2010-Model
Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pyromania
Never...

If you're going to get the Werks B5, I suggest you get a 2013 pipe.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...old-2010-Model
My B5 and 2013 is in the mail right now! WOOOOO!! cant wait!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Once the 454 is worn out i'll get a new motor for sure but will probably rebuild the 454 as a backup.

I do hear the Werks B5 is prolly the best value.
Once you wear out the 454 and experience a new .21 (B5) you wont wanna go back to the RTR engine, so I would'nt rebuild it. Just speaking by experience. Have fun with it!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Lol, see...the answer is always buy stuff. Just go electric...all the cool kids are doing it. lol
Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

electric have you tried the new 100c batteries and the 60000000kv motor. cause you'll have to buy that.hahaha it doesnt matter which ever way you go you'll have to buy/spend and replace gear. you can buy a low priced engine that can keep up with the other engins on the track cheaper than you could buy a brushless system and lipos....

but electric is good if you can afford to stay competitive if racing....
Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+ 1 on the dynamite clutch shoes.. Best investment ever

And remember to keep your clutch shimmed with a nice bit of play and run a vented bell if you can... I am doing this and fine my clutch bearings are now lasting for ages

I know guys that run electric and they say it is way dearer than nitro

Dave
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My boy just switched from e-8ight to nitro ! too many headaches and we are electric guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.