Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
want to go nitro...tell me why i should or should not... >

want to go nitro...tell me why i should or should not...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

want to go nitro...tell me why i should or should not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default want to go nitro...tell me why i should or should not...

ive been in and out of the rc game for about 15 or so years but have been a electric guy for the entire time.i really want to go 1/8 buggy nitro but i really dont know that much about it. my friends tell me that its much easier than eletric.but i really dont know.is it that much easier? it seems pretty straight forward except for the tuning process. so any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.im considering either the associated rc8b or the losi 2.0..

ps. ive been associated my whole life lol

thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

With the advent of Li-Po batteries and high-powered, efficient brushless motors, alot of people are jumping into Electric 1/8th scale. I personally prefer the sound and performance of the Nitro Buggy. For me personally, it is easier to drive. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and the smell of nitro. I like the fact that the Mains are longer in nitro vs. electric. I'm not very familiar with electric, but most mains I see are limited to 10-15 minutes, whereas Nitro mains can go 30 minutes (the longest i've ever done) or more.

The instant torque and power of the electrics are too much for me. If you have been into electrics, then you probably already know how to drive one well enough to compete. Some people really love that kind of power.

Nitro and electric both have their individual challenges. My regular track is pretty nitro heavy when it comes to off-road, but there are also quite a few guys that are going electric. Electric 1/8th scale is poised to be the next big thing, but I will run nitro until i have to change.

My best advice would be to go to your local track and see what the larger class is. The 2 buggies you listed as your choices are both high-quality performers. Comes down to personal preference and parts availability at your LHS. If you choose to go nitro and find out that you don't like it, there are conversion kits available for both of those buggies to make the change to electric.

Hope I helped.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 09 lex 250
ive been in and out of the rc game for about 15 or so years but have been a electric guy for the entire time.i really want to go 1/8 buggy nitro but i really dont know that much about it. my friends tell me that its much easier than eletric.but i really dont know.is it that much easier? it seems pretty straight forward except for the tuning process. so any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.im considering either the associated rc8b or the losi 2.0..

ps. ive been associated my whole life lol

thanks
Well nitro is not much harder but due to the tuning process which is what some people have a hard time with. Your best bet if you want to learn how to is read the tuning bible at the top of the page in the Nitro Offroad page! Im a Jammin guy but embarrass to say but I'm going to a Losi 8ight 2.0 soonUntil then you can keep your slosi The RTR versoin has everything you would need to get started.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdtech58
With the advent of Li-Po batteries and high-powered, efficient brushless motors, alot of people are jumping into Electric 1/8th scale. I personally prefer the sound and performance of the Nitro Buggy. For me personally, it is easier to drive. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and the smell of nitro. I like the fact that the Mains are longer in nitro vs. electric. I'm not very familiar with electric, but most mains I see are limited to 10-15 minutes, whereas Nitro mains can go 30 minutes (the longest i've ever done) or more.

The instant torque and power of the electrics are too much for me. If you have been into electrics, then you probably already know how to drive one well enough to compete. Some people really love that kind of power.

Nitro and electric both have their individual challenges. My regular track is pretty nitro heavy when it comes to off-road, but there are also quite a few guys that are going electric. Electric 1/8th scale is poised to be the next big thing, but I will run nitro until i have to change.

My best advice would be to go to your local track and see what the larger class is. The 2 buggies you listed as your choices are both high-quality performers. Comes down to personal preference and parts availability at your LHS. If you choose to go nitro and find out that you don't like it, there are conversion kits available for both of those buggies to make the change to electric.

Hope I helped.
yes you did and thank you very much..im in region 4 and 1/8 nitro is MASSIVE here lol
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer
Well nitro is not much harder but due to the tuning process which is what some people have a hard time with. Your best bet if you want to learn how to is read the tuning bible at the top of the page in the Nitro Offroad page! Im a Jammin guy but embarrass to say but I'm going to a Losi 8ight 2.0 soonUntil then you can keep your slosi The RTR versoin has everything you would need to get started.
thanks man..and i hear ya on the slosi but they really came around with that 2.0
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

i think, the answer to your question is really simple:
you want to go nitro? then you should definitely try it! you don´t have to be a nobel price winner to tune an engine correctly, so jump into it and have fun!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

At first it can be a pain in the ass... But when u have broken in the engine, the fun can begin. If someone with more experience, (you'll find enough at the track) can help you, I see no problem. I used to run electric but once I tried 1/8 nitro I'll never go back. It's hella fun, trust me.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I race and love both nitro and electric but I prefer nitro for many reasons. Some of the biggest reasons are rules stability and reduced cheating (or at least the accusations of cheating). It never fails, win 3 or 4 straight electric races and everyone thinks you have a cheater motor or battery or some other nefarious speed secret. Win at nitro and everyone figures you must really know what you are doing. Then there is the constant changes in motor and battery rules and all the bickering over them. Who needs that? It's not as bad in offroad as it is in onroad but it's still there.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Echelon
At first it can be a pain in the ass... But when u have broken in the engine, the fun can begin. If someone with more experience, (you'll find enough at the track) can help you, I see no problem. I used to run electric but once I tried 1/8 nitro I'll never go back. It's hella fun, trust me.
i see the fun factor all the time as a matter of fact im goin tonight to watch lol thanks for the reply
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Another thing to consider is the total cost of ownership (TCO). Electric tends to be a higher up-front cost (batteries, chargers) but less cost down the road. Nitro is a lower up-front investment but the costs down the road are higher (fuel etc). Unless you smoke batteries constantly the TCO for Electric is much lower overall compared to Nitro. Even in a perfect world where nothing breaks or needs replacing, you eventually reach a point where the recurring fuel purchases for running nitro exceed the initial cost of electrics.

Obviously I'm not telling you anything new, you've run electric for a while, but many people don't take this into consideration when doing comparisons between nitro/electric.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Nitro cars tear themselves up -- there is a lot of cost from replacing items that wear out and maintenance takes time. Clutch bell bearings, re-pinching or replacing a motor, replacing drive shafts that wear out, tires every few race nights if you run soft compounds and -- you really have to figure out what works and stick with it. Initially, you're gonna break stuff left and right trying to figure out how to drive the thing well. You're gonna go through a few wings. You're gonna bend or break a tower or tie-rod or two. Over all, once you find your groove, you'll love it and figure out what you need to do, keep spares of, and get your costs under control. Initially, however, it will be frustrating. 1/10 scale is FAR cheaper over all. 1/8 anything is more expensive and wears stuff out much faster, nitro or brushless.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Electric 1/8th is nothing like the electric 1/10th cars you are used to seeing from back in the day. If you want the durability and size of the 1/8th class, but prefer the ease of electric, you can't beat the electric 1/8th setups.

However, with that said, even though electric 1/8ths does not have the tuning of nitro, they still can be finicky and you have to learn quite a bit about proper setup of the motor/esc/batteries. Constantly watching temps of the electronics, etc. You basically exchange one set of problems for another. Instead of chasing a tune, you are making sure your ESC & Motor doesn't go nuclear.

Electric Pros:
Quiet, faster acceleration and top end, no tuning so consistent performance
Electric Cons:
Lipo packs can be expensive, still developing technology, likely to be a redhead step child at nitro tracks, higher upfront costs

Nitro Pros:
Everyone runs nitro, noisy, smokey, less toy like, dirty finger nails
Nitro Cons:
loud, smokey, dirty finger nails, cost more in fuel, glow plugs, etc

Both are fun and exhilarating. Pick your poison.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Prophet

i would do nitro i used to do electric and i just cant stand the instant torque
i like a little lag of the line nitro torque is still plently if u ask me , u do have to buy fuel but if u buy a gallon and not tune it so rich it can last about 2 to 2/1/2 mouths before u have to buy a new gallon, glow plugs tell u the truth i have used my for 2 gallons and its still good without even replace it yet.
as for the clutchs if u use all carbon they wont last long but if use all alum pretty much just clean the clutchbell and sometimes file the shoes,to lipo are way to expensive still and the speed controlers for 1/8 are a hit or miss with relibity trust me man there will be nitro guys only still in the future
and to me if u had all electric sorry to say this but thats not gone to get the spectors to show up and get intrested in the hobby
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

My opinion and experience:

Nitro 1/8th scale:

Plus:
-Long 30-60 minute mains for real racing action with pitstops
-real engines are more fun
-lighter
-solid, steady rules.....when was the last rule change in this class
-pretty fair, noone has a power advantage
-sound awesome
-real brakes are fun to
-smoother low end power, less tire wear
-there is a sense of accomplishment to getting a finicky nitro engine tuned right that nothing in electric can compare to.

minus:
-glowplugs and fuel
- need to find a pit guy that you can expect to see at the same races your going to. (not nessasary but in long races pits are critical)
-Clutch maintenance
-oily
-airfilters

electric 1/8th scale

plus:
-idle really well for a real long time
-plenty of power, usually too much
-no pit guy needed
-no fuel

minus:
-short, lame mains
-no pit action
-heavier
-usually overpowered (some are learning that less is more)
-ESC's and motors are still unreliable and expensive, getting better
-tire wear (more weight +more power)
-sound like metal in a blender
-"waaaa, he's running 5 cell, I thought we were running roar rules...waaaaa"

There is just something special about the challenge of a long 1 hr main with pit stops that electric will never be able to touch. The sound and smell of nitro rules.

I'd recommend jumping into nitro. Just get a good reliable medium powered engine that will be easy to tune and maintain. Like a RB hobby 9 with a 2045 pipe.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i would do nitro i used to do electric and i just cant stand the instant torque
i like a little lag of the line nitro torque is still plently if u ask me , u do have to buy fuel but if u buy a gallon and not tune it so rich it can last about 2 to 2/1/2 mouths before u have to buy a new gallon, glow plugs tell u the truth i have used my for 2 gallons and its still good without even replace it yet.
as for the clutchs if u use all carbon they wont last long but if use all alum pretty much just clean the clutchbell and sometimes file the shoes,to lipo are way to expensive still and the speed controlers for 1/8 are a hit or miss with relibity trust me man there will be nitro guys only still in the future
and to me if u had all electric sorry to say this but thats not gone to get the spectors to show up and get intrested in the hobby
im starting to realize this week after week...thanks man

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Electric 1/8th is nothing like the electric 1/10th cars you are used to seeing from back in the day. If you want the durability and size of the 1/8th class, but prefer the ease of electric, you can't beat the electric 1/8th setups.
However, with that said, even though electric 1/8ths does not have the tuning of nitro, they still can be finicky and you have to learn quite a bit about proper setup of the motor/esc/batteries. Constantly watching temps of the electronics, etc. You basically exchange one set of problems for another. Instead of chasing a tune, you are making sure your ESC & Motor doesn't go nuclear.

ive been thinking about the electric set ups as well but imho,if you run 1/8 you gotta burn nitro

thank you as well

Electric Pros:
Quiet, faster acceleration and top end, no tuning so consistent performance
Electric Cons:
Lipo packs can be expensive, still developing technology, likely to be a redhead step child at nitro tracks, higher upfront costs

Nitro Pros:
Everyone runs nitro, noisy, smokey, less toy like, dirty finger nails
Nitro Cons:
loud, smokey, dirty finger nails, cost more in fuel, glow plugs, etc

Both are fun and exhilarating. Pick your poison.
lol

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Nitro cars tear themselves up -- there is a lot of cost from replacing items that wear out and maintenance takes time. Clutch bell bearings, re-pinching or replacing a motor, replacing drive shafts that wear out, tires every few race nights if you run soft compounds and -- you really have to figure out what works and stick with it. Initially, you're gonna break stuff left and right trying to figure out how to drive the thing well. You're gonna go through a few wings. You're gonna bend or break a tower or tie-rod or two. Over all, once you find your groove, you'll love it and figure out what you need to do, keep spares of, and get your costs under control. Initially, however, it will be frustrating. 1/10 scale is FAR cheaper over all. 1/8 anything is more expensive and wears stuff out much faster, nitro or brushless.
i did not realize that it was that complicated

Originally Posted by Amoeba
Another thing to consider is the total cost of ownership (TCO). Electric tends to be a higher up-front cost (batteries, chargers) but less cost down the road. Nitro is a lower up-front investment but the costs down the road are higher (fuel etc). Unless you smoke batteries constantly the TCO for Electric is much lower overall compared to Nitro. Even in a perfect world where nothing breaks or needs replacing, you eventually reach a point where the recurring fuel purchases for running nitro exceed the initial cost of electrics.

Obviously I'm not telling you anything new, you've run electric for a while, but many people don't take this into consideration when doing comparisons between nitro/electric.
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.