Search
Like Tree18Likes

Sworkz S104 EVO thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Sworkz S104 EVO thread

Here you go guys. This is all about the current buggy. Ask away. Any tips and tricks we want to hear about it..
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Mine should be here next week. Looking forward to driving this buggy.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FL2DC75
Mine should be here next week. Looking forward to driving this buggy.
Dave, welcome to the club. Do you race at Debbie's?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Getting mine as soon as i go to the dealer!!

Gonna run it on highbite carpet indoor. Got some tips from rickster earlier to get me started..

We built one a couple of weeks ago, but only for display at the last round of the swedish nats in 1/8 scale. Looks really good. Like the shocks and all the small details making it possible to setup at any condition.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Elis..

I may be going to your way in a couple months... may have to swing by one of your local tracks and say hi. :-)

Also.. there was a question on ride heights from someone..... this will vary from track to track and also surfaces... if your on carpet you want a lower ride height and use limiters inside the shocks to limit up travel a bit.. you don't have the bumps and stuff so you will set up your car a little different.
battery position and how you want the car to work will depend on ride height as well.

if your outdoors you many want a little higher ride height in front then back and you may also have your battery in back position which will change weight transfer of the car.

my advise.. start with arms level front and back.. if your on bumpy stuff raise front a couple mm. if your on carpet try dropping ride height to just below arms level.
this should be a good start point... then adjust from there.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rickster
Hi Elis..

I may be going to your way in a couple months... may have to swing by one of your local tracks and say hi. :-).

Cool... Just let me know when
Old 09-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Raced this on carpet last night, impressed with the stability, very easy to drive and calmer than my xb4 when pushed hard. Not many racers out but took a 1st and 2nd in the main.
Using the red medium soft springs, noticed a couple of things, first, the ride height cant be brought under 23mm, Sworkz may need to look at making some Astro springs like serpent, although it doesn't seem to want to roll over too bad. I'm running a 4.5 turn, so I don't know if that's the reason, but this thing squats HARD. I've added extra anti squat, but it still picks up the inside front wheel out of corners, so I'll have to find some sort of solution.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

hey big... are you using the associated reds for front? the associated springs are just a little bigger around then the sworkz ones.. but if you go to a buggy red front which are just a little harder then the greens and white or grey back which are just a tad softer for carpet.. you can drop your ride height way down.

for carpet you will want to limit your up travel a little as well... start with a 2mm spacer all around.. that will still give you good travel for bigger jumps but help your roll in corners.

another helping thing is to switch from the 3 deg. rear block to the optional 1-3 block and run 2 deg. then instead of increasing your antisquat decrease it to 1 deg. this will really help the squat sensation in cornering.

hope that helps and good luck at the races.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Anyone running a slipper in this car yet? I ordered the slipper setup but the center bulkheads are spaced too far apart. Drivelines are also too short.

I want to run the car in 13.5 but with a 2.5 trans ratio the 87t spur just won't have the speed.

Zack
Old 09-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wanabgts
Anyone running a slipper in this car yet? I ordered the slipper setup but the center bulkheads are spaced too far apart. Drivelines are also too short.

I want to run the car in 13.5 but with a 2.5 trans ratio the 87t spur just won't have the speed.

Zack
Zack,
Unfortunately there isn't a S104 Evo slipper available yet. And modifying the chassis to fit the original slipper is going to take precise drilling and countersinking. The easiest would be to grab a evo conversion chassis from the old car and bolt the chassis together, and use it for the template. Heck maybe even the original EK1 chassis will work. I still have mine EK1 chassis sitting. I'll let you know for sure if it lines up.
As for bones, you may need to improvise. The evo conversion came with a new bone, and also I run a custom center diff in my old car so I had a different rear bone also. I used a TD 99mm bone in the back. But the new car has different placement for the center diff mounts than before so the axles are different too. I hope that you get this figured out. It's not going to be easy for now, to get stock or 13.5 ratios. 98.7% run 4wd modified 1/10 buggies.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

zack.. sorry but when the testing was being done on the new car for the cam for motor stock and higher turn motors were not taken into consideration .... almost all 4wd is run mod.. there will be an optional motor mount done if the demand is warrented.

But until then if you would like to run the 13.5 motor take your mount out and cam cap and modify it by opening up the turn area by 3mm it wont hurt the strength of your cap or mount and you can use up to a 26 or 27 pinion easy that way.

its an easy mod .

there are quite a few evo specific options coming soon, like springs, pistons, slipper, different width hexes in lightweight form, lightweight ball ends, and more... but the initial demand for the car has been amazing.. so options will trickle in shortly.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Looks like I'll just be waiting for the slipper conversion and using my current 44.3 for 13.5.

Thanks for the answers fellas. I thought of modding the mount but even with a 27t it's still way under geared. I normally run 30/81 or 30/78 with slipper setup.

I like a lot of features on the car. First day of testing is today!

Zack
Old 09-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

there should also be a spur gear kit for center diff... I am testing 78/81/83 kit right now.. trying all different motors to see if it works with everything.. I know a couple other guys who are testing 83/84/85 kits.. so not sure if they will be individual gears or kits of a couple... should be out soon though.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Rickster....Im sure I could get the 78t to work with a 13.5 properly.

Had the car out today, and had mixed results the first time out. It has some serious traction rolling issues that need worked out. I got them manageable but still far worse than any other wheeler out there. Im sure I can get it tuned out with some more work. Going up the shock oil again all around, Im currently 42.5/35.

Its really dumpy in the rear, I used stiffer springs and stood the shocks up and it helped but the issue is still there especially in opening radius turns. Ended up on AE Orange, AE Blue in the rear.

It jumps exceptionally well, better than any wheeler I have driven. Has a solid feel and doesn't slap down nearly as bad as most other, even at a very low ride height.

Also its seems very durable, I traction rolled into the wall and had some decent tumbles and it took with without any problems.

I think playing with the rear arm position may help with the balance, and I need to either 15k front, or 7k rear to keep the rear more in line when getting on the throttle hard. Current oils are 10/100/10.

I did notice one issue, at lower ride heights and running raised roll centers in the rear the sway bar in the rear contacts the ball cup and tower way before travel is maxed out. Once it contacts the tower it increases in rate, I think this might cause some of my inconsistent feeling.

Anywho, change some stuff and she will be ready for another day!

Zack
Old 09-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rickster

another helping thing is to switch from the 3 deg. rear block to the optional 1-3 block and run 2 deg. then instead of increasing your antisquat decrease it to 1 deg. this will really help the squat sensation in cornering.

hope that helps and good luck at the races.
Is the 1-3 block an option or is it included in the kit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.