Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for inexpensive but good .21 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

go with thunder tiger, very cheap, very reliable and very easy to tune. im using it on my mgt and i'm a consistent podium placer despite doing battle with monster trucks with .28 and .32 engines. if it can propel my mgt to the podiom then it will have an easier time doing it with a light and nimble buggy.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well based on the number of responses for the various engines,

I'm going to give the following a try;

1) Go 5 Port
2) Picco P5X
3) Axe Rossi Mamba

No offense to the others. Sounds like there ARE a bunch of good ones out there. I'm basing my decision on the number of positive comments per engine....

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

would not waste my time with the 3rd one on that list, i would much prefer a vspec
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If looking for something simialr to the Mach 427 then checkout the Dynamite Platinum series motors. Guys correct me if im wrong but I think the Sportwerks, Mach and Dynamite are all made by the same company which correct me if im wrong again is SH motors. The Dynamite sells for 179.00 on Amain.
You cant go wrong with any one of those motors on your list. Im still on the fence between the Go and the Dynamite both good mills.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You obviously haven't either been following the thread or read my first post...

I suggest you go back and read the first post....

Originally Posted by flysti
would not waste my time with the 3rd one on that list, i would much prefer a vspec
Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I also would not go with the 3rd one on the list..... I have had 2 of them, the first one, I got a replacement after 1 gallon because of deffects. The second one lasted about 6 1/2 ~ 7 gallons.... that is not bad, but I never got a really good tune on the motor......it ran ok.... but never felt like I got it to run great.......

but I would vote for the 21bf... they are a good motor....
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your putting the motor in a truggy, i would go with the GO 5 hands down. Out of the 3 posted the Dynamite, Mamba, GO 5 the GO is the strongest from top to bottom. Tyhe 7 is good as well if you like a smoother bottom and endless top. But for truggy the 5 port go. The 053,MSR 1005,2050,2060 and JP3 are all good with the 5 port, the MSR and OS pipes will help runtimes get to 10 min, i like the 2060 in my buggy , it just helps tame the bottom it putes out, plus our track is loose, i run a 7mm and 6.5 and it is still all the motor i need and 10+ on runtime. The last 7 port our team driver ran in his OCM truggy had 8 gallons on it and the 5 ports are lasting just as long on the original rods.

the mamba is a good buggy mill, it has smooth bottom and real good top, but to soft on bottom for truggy IMO.

I have had a few of the dynamites and alot of the GO's, the 5 port is just hard to beet, speed, longevity, quality, runtime.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

picco
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

As for the OS 21.VG , I had this engine based on recommendations of others on here, though there were people having issues as well, i figured that can be expected.

The engine initially fired up great for its breakin, did the breakin by the book (Jason Halvorson and I race together and he was there for the breakin so he saw what I did) and initially the engine ran great. For the small track, it had extreme amount of low end grunt that could keep up it seemed with the best of them for the track size.

The problems however started when I got closer to the gallon mark. To the engine would become a pain to fire. It would fire, die, fire die.

I would always take it out, check all the settings, tighten up anything that needed it, new springs, shoes, etc. It was possible there was an air leak of sorts, not really sure as it was the first New engine I had used.

Finally I got so fed up that I sold the whole 1/8 scale works to another racer who initially sealed up the leaks and said it ran great for a few weeks, but then had it completely die on him. What he did to the engine I don't know, but as Jason knows I didn't push the engine as I am not going to have a $150 paperweight as I have seen guys do to there $300 engines.

After seeing the success that Jason has had with his engines, i would take his advice on breakin and engine selection considering how many he has.

My personal experience may not be what you get, but it is what happened.

up to the point where it started acting funny, the engine I liked alot.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bushyar15
You obviously haven't either been following the thread or read my first post...

I suggest you go back and read the first post....
yeah i have

i have seen many mambas let people down in australia so i feel you could end up paying more money in the long run.

i would recommend
1/ werks b3 pro
2/ jammin aka picco
3/go 5 or 7 port

the vspec does seem dearer in the US than what it retails for in australia so i was wrong on that & do opolagise.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have an RB SC and absolutely love it, lots of tourquem and horse. Only paid 150.00 for it at my LHS! Great on tuning too.