Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2012 Australian EP Offroad Titles >

2012 Australian EP Offroad Titles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Australian EP Offroad Titles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray_munday

Unfortunately for me, the Easter date means I wont be attending the nats, but Im sure there will still be a big turnout and it will be an awesome event. Hopefully someone gets video for those of us who cant make it.

Ray
Ray - I am really dissapointed that you wont be able to attend. I was looking forward to catching up in person rather than the phone and email. I would have loved to have seen an epic battle between you, Gillot, Bakla, Kirschner, Griffin and others...........man so bummed by that.

I have mentioned the date to my wife who is less than impressed (I have 4 kids). To be honest, I would really like to be with my family at Easter as my family mean a lot to me. I love my racing, so I will have to find a way to make it up to them. I sure as hell know I will need to earn a allot of brownie points with the wife......as for the kids - well - I will be feeling significant guilt.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Radio Active
In that rule book it says the Nationals date is Easter.
Why?

And again - would love to hear form AARMCC as to the reasoning.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C
Ray - I am really dissapointed that you wont be able to attend. I was looking forward to catching up in person rather than the phone and email. I would have loved to have seen an epic battle between you, Gillot, Bakla, Kirschner, Griffin and others...........man so bummed by that.

I have mentioned the date to my wife who is less than impressed (I have 4 kids). To be honest, I would really like to be with my family at Easter as my family mean a lot to me. I love my racing, so I will have to find a way to make it up to them. I sure as hell know I will need to earn a allot of brownie points with the wife......as for the kids - well - I will be feeling significant guilt.

Cheers

Darryn
Darryn, I'm not trying to start anything here, just trying to figure something out. A lot of people have mentioned that in the past there were a lot more juniors driving EP OFR, and that the Nats were a great event for families, but not so much anymore. You've got 4 kids, so I'm guessing that a couple of them must be near RC driving age. With you having so many cars and being so into it, how come the kids aren't?

I have a nephew who is 3 and a half and every time he sees my car he wants to play with it. I have to keep giving him an old car so he doesn't drive my 12th scale through the dirt! My first heat is always interesting after he gets hold of it.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Darryn, I'm not trying to start anything here, just trying to figure something out. A lot of people have mentioned that in the past there were a lot more juniors driving EP OFR, and that the Nats were a great event for families, but not so much anymore. You've got 4 kids, so I'm guessing that a couple of them must be near RC driving age. With you having so many cars and being so into it, how come the kids aren't?

I have a nephew who is 3 and a half and every time he sees my car he wants to play with it. I have to keep giving him an old car so he doesn't drive my 12th scale through the dirt! My first heat is always interesting after he gets hold of it.

LOL - I have a son that is 4 and loves racing the toy cars around the yard. My eldest daughter (14) did race for a while - but I dont think the "environment" at race meetings is all that "female friendly", as I would prefer that some of the "banter" we carry on with be introduced to her. I also have two other daughter and cars are pretty much the furthest things from their mind - even though they think they are cool. Really though, that is my personal decision and that of my childrens, I dont force my kids to do anything (not that I really think you are suggesting that)....again - perhaps that is personal for me and I should not have to feel guilty about it.

Now - not wanting to start something here either - but how can you be a "reigning champion" of a class that no longer exists and hasnt for a very long while?

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Why?

And again - would love to hear form AARMCC as to the reasoning.

Cheers

Darryn
Actually I can answer that. That was the date in the ORRCA rule book. When we switched to AARCMCC we adopted a rule set that Stewart Grant had penned. He placed the EP OFR Nats in September, on top of the NSW EP OFR Champs.

I'm pretty sure Maitland held the first AARCMCC sanctioned Nats in '99 (I'm not 100%, but if not it's close to true). It couldn't be held in September because the NSW EP OFR Chaps were scheduled for then, and the AARCMCC rule book said that a State/Club couldn't lose a date for such an event unless they'd gone away from it for more than 2 years. Consequently the date chosen for the Nationals that year was Easter, where it has been almost ever since.

When Gavin was seeking comments of the rules re-write last year. I noted that the rule book still listed the Nats in September on top of the NSW State Titles, where it couldn't be held. I suggested to Gavin, that it made more sense to list it as Easter where it had traditionally been. Gavin then released 2 draft versions of the rules with that date in it. No one made any comment despite the fact that it was sent to all clubs, and comment was vigorously sought. I pleaded with people to read it as well. So, you can blame me if you like. But the mandate of the rewrite was to update the rules and have them reflect the current situation in RC in Australia, that date confirmation was within that mandate, and then everyone voted it in. There was a period of consultation, that was the time to say something. Since then we had a vote to shift the date, it didn't get up. People must like Easter.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

LOL - I have a son that is 4 and loves racing the toy cars around the yard. My eldest daughter (14) did race for a while - but I dont think the "environment" at race meetings is all that "female friendly", as I would prefer that some of the "banter" we carry on with be introduced to her. I also have two other daughter and cars are pretty much the furthest things from their mind - even though they think they are cool. Really though, that is my personal decision and that of my childrens, I dont force my kids to do anything (not that I really think you are suggesting that)....again - perhaps that is personal for me and I should not have to feel guilty about it.

Now - not wanting to start something here either - but how can you be a "reigning champion" of a class that no longer exists and hasnt for a very long while?

Cheers

Darryn
Ok, that seems pretty unique to you. I was just trying to figure out the shift in climate, and looking for clues. Your situation doesn't really help me.

I will be a reigning champion until another event is held and someone takes the title from me.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the compliment Darryn, but I think Id have a bit of trouble keeping up with those guys.... feeling a bit old lately LOL!

Im bummed as I really wanted to race at St Ives. My first RC mag was Dirt&Track with the '89 worlds in it (yes showing my age) so its a bit of a mecca for me. Will have to get there some other time.

None of my comments should be construed as having a go against the host club - Im just having a public sulk because I really wanted to go! It should be an awesome event.

Daniel: re young families, I have a 5yo who started racing recently and he loves it! I also have a 2yo daughter, young nieces and nephews etc who are all an important part of my family. I can imagine once they are teenagers the issue of Easter will be much less important.

Ray

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

As an aside - I actually chose the name Joel (amongst other reasons) because of Joel Johnson from the US - world champion for Kyosho! .

My Joel already has a pretty good grasp on control and will probably get better with driving if encouraged. I will be encouraging him, however I am also very cautious of "living" through my children. So if he loves it - then he can do it and I will give my all to help him enjoy the hobby and be successful. My eldest daughter also likes being my "pit" person for Nitro, although, again - the language and behaviour sometimes makes me and her uncomfortable. Electric tends to be a better place for females as far as I have experienced anyway.

I actually dont think my situation is much different from many others Daniel. What is different now is that there is alot more opporunity for people to do so many different things, and most are less "time vampires" than R/C model car racing. We have to make it as accessible and as easy as possible if it is going to survive.

Anyways - off topic..........

Really looking forward to watching all the action - the Nats is going to be epic.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Romsey
I haven't won my Easter battle yet. So far it goes like this - RC racing = divorce proceedings..........
Easy get your priorities right and the divorce paper work drawn up
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the compliment Darryn, but I think Id have a bit of trouble keeping up with those guys.... feeling a bit old lately LOL!

Im bummed as I really wanted to race at St Ives. My first RC mag was Dirt&Track with the '89 worlds in it (yes showing my age) so its a bit of a mecca for me. Will have to get there some other time.

None of my comments should be construed as having a go against the host club - Im just having a public sulk because I really wanted to go! It should be an awesome event.

Daniel: re young families, I have a 5yo who started racing recently and he loves it! I also have a 2yo daughter, young nieces and nephews etc who are all an important part of my family. I can imagine once they are teenagers the issue of Easter will be much less important.

Ray
Ray - mate - I was at the nats in 88, it was freaking awesome with an increadible vibe around it (with all the internationals etc). St Ives is my "Holy Land" and always will be. Whilst I haven't always fitted in with some of the alouf "crowd", St Ives has always been welcoming and an awesome track to actually race on.

"Feeling old", tell me about it mate, was so embarrassed when I collected the trophy for 2wd at this years state titles that they also announced that I was the "seniors" champion as well!

Perhaps we could organise our families to get together here in Canberra for the week - the wives could spend time and play with the kids and we could play with our cars in Sydney!!

Yeah - I know - fat chance!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr RC Centre
Easy get your priorities right and the divorce paper work drawn up

If only it were that easy!!

Some things in life are more important than toy cars. (sometimes ONLY though, as they are the only things that make life liveable - as they dont talk back)

Cheers

Darryn
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

My eldest daughter also likes being my "pit" person for Nitro, although, again - the language and behaviour sometimes makes me and her uncomfortable. Electric tends to be a better place for females as far as I have experienced anyway.
If you're a follower of other comments I've made over the years you'll know I think we should be modifying our behaviour to encourage more females at races.

I see a high proportion of female racers at Castle Hill onroad, along with larger proportions of kids and elder racers. I put this down to the way TJ runs his meetings and the atmosphere he tries to create. The language and behaviour you are talking about aren't acceptable there. What this proves is that if we make an effort we can have boys and girls at our meetings. We all have a responsibility to act in a way that is family friendly at our race meetings.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You think your old? I was actually there and watched Massami win the double... Now I'm really depressed...

Ray
Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Are we able to see the results from the Vote that went to all AARCMCC afliliated clubs RE - Nats Proposed Date change?
I was hopeing it may have been pushed back also, i was really hoping to get to this one, as we should see some really massive numbers and Making and A final Will have real Credit.
I will have to settle for the Cactus Instead.
Video of the A finals would be awesome to watch.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dos Andos
You think your old? I was actually there and watched Massami win the double... Now I'm really depressed...
Andy , so was I Now that's old......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.