Wiki Posts
Search

need some shock advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need some shock advice

i took my shocks off today to fill them with some new oil for the first time,(this is a used rc8 buggy)when i took the cap off i noticed the bladder that sits just above the oil had the bottom cut out of it. the only part remaining of the bladder was the part that goes up into the threads of the cap.all four were the same.is this a trick or some kind of a mod,i dont know,the shocks did not leak. i filled them with oil and recaped them than tested them ,when i reopend them there was a ton of air bubbles,is that from the bladder being gone or did i do something wrong,is that normal.help a newbee out thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Your shocks need bladders so order some new ones right away, the bladders are what help seal up the shocks and also that is where your rebound comes from. The shock oil pushes up the bladder and the bladder repels the oil and pushes the piston back down, without bladders you will get leaky shocks, lots of air bubbles and lots of bouncing...Air bad...Bladders good
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Your shocks need bladders so order some new ones right away, the bladders are what help seal up the shocks and also that is where your rebound comes from. The shock oil pushes up the bladder and the bladder repels the oil and pushes the piston back down, without bladders you will get leaky shocks, lots of air bubbles and lots of bouncing...Air bad...Bladders good
do you ever do any kind of work jaz? yous always telling us you cant come out due to work but all i see is you on here
Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

That was a normal mod when the rc8 came out.they had severe shock problems & one factory recomended cure was to cut out the bladder & turn them into emulsion shocks like the old 1/10 shocks.If you liked them that way just rebuild them that way.If you have plastic shock caps see if the old owner drilled a hole & put a screw in them for bleeding,thats another factory rec fix.Also pull off the shock boots & see if theres any thing over the shaft at the bottom like a shock piston & fuel tube,also a factory rec fix.

I cant seem to find the instructions & part# for what they tried on the old shocks anymore but search the AE forum under rc8 & you'll see the info in there.Basicly fill to 2mm bolow top,install cap with screw removed,push shock shaft up all the way,install screw. Or buy big bore shocks & what ever # shock tower their up to.

If you need I'll try & email the instructions but I cant figure out how to post a pdf here.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by losi_racer
do you ever do any kind of work jaz? yous always telling us you cant come out due to work but all i see is you on here

I am off on tuesdays..and when I am at work I sit in front of a computer all day
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

I am off on tuesdays..and when I am at work I sit in front of a computer all day
ill buy your work sounds like the greatest job in the world. hell you can even test drive your sofas ha ha
Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

You wouldn't want my job in this economy Doug..I used to be rich and I had 3 days a week off! All the money is gone (to keep the store open) and now I work 6 days a week..Hopefully I can get my life and my money back some day
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

You wouldn't want my job in this economy Doug..I used to be rich and I had 3 days a week off! All the money is gone (to keep the store open) and now I work 6 days a week..Hopefully I can get my life and my money back some day
true,i like sitting on my butt tellin people what to do and i make the same if were busy or not. and i have sat off ....... ok you keep your job ill keep mine lol