Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Racing Etiquette ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Nitro Racing Etiquette ?

I ran my first Nitro race last week with my RC8b....I have raced electric for a year and have learned the etiquette for electric...if you spin someone out you wait etc. I consider myself an average driver and pretty curteous.

I was racing my buggy and came into a set of jumps after a turn where you have to gain some speed to clear them...they are right after a "s" turn close to the driver stand so you cant really see whats coming.

I am guessing a buggy had spun out or had to slow down for some reason and I ran right into the back of him.....pretty hard.....he could not have been going very fast at all...it was a HARD collision.

I spun out then pulled to the side then noticed the marshal had picked up his buggy...it had died...so I took off. I really didnt think much of it especially since his buggy had died twice at the start of the race while lining up and once in the middle of it before I hit him....it didnt seem to be running too well.

Later I was told he was very pissed at me for hitting his buggy and killing his engine.....I really didnt think much of it since if I get hit in the rear after trying to get back into a race...I figure if anything it was my fault....I was stopped or off the usual pace for that section of the track.

I have 2 questions

#1- Is it my bad for hitting a slow moving vehicle in the back......in a fast section of the track?

#2-Whats the etiquette if you do hit someone and their engines die?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hahahah sounds like that guy wrecked your race.. you should be pissed at him for not being able to tune an engine and keep his junk running.. its really not your problem sounds like its his problem/fault.. his car died in an unfortunate spot or he parked it on the track like a noob... either way tell him to put a sock in it bc where im from its do or get done.. there is no love out there.. im not saying go out there and blast people but be defensive.. most of the time people who drive 1/8 cant drive anyway.. may top 15-20 can
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by utah300rum
I ran my first Nitro race last week with my RC8b....I have raced electric for a year and have learned the etiquette for electric...if you spin someone out you wait etc. I consider myself an average driver and pretty curteous.

I was racing my buggy and came into a set of jumps after a turn where you have to gain some speed to clear them...they are right after a "s" turn close to the driver stand so you cant really see whats coming.

I am guessing a buggy had spun out or had to slow down for some reason and I ran right into the back of him.....pretty hard.....he could not have been going very fast at all...it was a HARD collision.

I spun out then pulled to the side then noticed the marshal had picked up his buggy...it had died...so I took off. I really didnt think much of it especially since his buggy had died twice at the start of the race while lining up and once in the middle of it before I hit him....it didnt seem to be running too well.

Later I was told he was very pissed at me for hitting his buggy and killing his engine.....I really didnt think much of it since if I get hit in the rear after trying to get back into a race...I figure if anything it was my fault....I was stopped or off the usual pace for that section of the track.

I have 2 questions

#1- Is it my bad for hitting a slow moving vehicle in the back......in a fast section of the track?

#2-Whats the etiquette if you do hit someone and their engines die?

People always like to blame someone else for their own faults. He obviously didnt have his engine tuned right if he flamed out 2 other times. Now with that being said. I would ask your track director. I have seen a lot of shady things go down that no one has ever said anything about. And then I have seen times where lap traffic would not allow leaders to get by, then the leader would get into him, and get black flagged. Go figure. You would think if you are being lapped, you may wanna move out of the way not to ruin your race and someone else's.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

#1 Sh!t happens, sometimes no time to react.
#2 Keep racing, nothing you can do. All racers no when someone blatantly takes them out. This was an accident. Its racing... Every racer has been on the short end of a crash.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

I am usually pretty good at not hitting slower traffic, but when I do get into someone I wait on them to gather it back up and try to pass them clean. If I happen to be the slower traffic I try to get out of the faster guys way. If he does hit me I don't mind unless it keeps happening then I get mad. Once or twice in a race I will let it slide and more than that and it's on...lol
As far as the engine stalling about all you can do is go apologize after the race, more than likely the engine didn't stall because of the crash, it stalled because of a bad tune or it is just worn out. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plack75
hahahah sounds like that guy wrecked your race.. you should be pissed at him for not being able to tune an engine and keep his junk running.. its really not your problem sounds like its his problem/fault.. his car died in an unfortunate spot or he parked it on the track like a noob... either way tell him to put a sock in it bc where im from its do or get done.. there is no love out there.. im not saying go out there and blast people but be defensive.. most of the time people who drive 1/8 cant drive anyway.. may top 15-20 can
+1. This year in Motorama, I saw in the a-main truggy 1st place got taken out, b/c the person behind him decided to use him as a trampoline on a triple. Then my buddy was up by a lap in a-main buggy and lap traffic decides to take him out with 6 min to go.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

I still feel kinda bad...mainly since I didnt even really notice he was upset....he is a good guy, helped me a few times with electric when I was getting started...I think he was frustrated at his buggy not running well and me wipeing him out didnt help.

I will have to hit him up at the next race, make sure we are still good.....I just didnt know if there was some nitro etiquette I wasnt aware of.

I usually try to be curteous...if I cause a wreck it wasnt on purpose or recklessness usually just lost it for a second and wiped someone out...I think that sometimes the "experienced" or " better" drivers forget what its like to be new and not really "in control" all the time....I have really only raced for one season....I had a truck back in 1995 thru 1997 and bashed around I raced about 2 races then got out of the hobby. I just picked up my first "race" truck last year and raced the 2010 season. So I still make "stupid" mistakes.

I am lucky most guys at my track are there for fun and really laid back.....I just dont want to become "That Guy" no one wants to race with.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Prophet

with, nitro racing most of time the hacking is not on purpose espially in truggy 1/8 racing since there pretty wide and big .

its, happens when you race at local tracks some guys are more exprience than others especially in sportsman classes which is what i race in so you cant really be mad .

if, you get mad at somebody wrecking you in truggy in a sportsman class you have a problem lol but ive seen it before lol.

some guys cant handle thier power thats all its happen to me before into corners.

image, 10 truggys racing in a main at a local track yea its crazy lol but i liked it though .

most of the time i dont know who is leading because im focus on my truck.

now, buggy racing on a big track i never understand why there is hacking sometimes
but it happens we been there.

the, point is dont worry about it just say sorry to the guy it was a accident not worth fight over it.
its just for fun .

if , the person cant get his engine to keep running he ethier needs to get a new plug or pull off the track if he doesnt want to get hit.

Last edited by tc5 man; 04-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Nothing worse then running a wicked line for a few laps only to realize you had your eye on someone else's car, and you were so focused on driving yo didn't pay attention to the crazy truggy cutting across the track hitting everything in sight !
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Proper Etiquette would have been for the guy that flaimed out on the track to yell out where his car is. WATCH THE TRIPPLE! or WATCH THE STRAIGHT!!! I also think the guys full of it saying you hitting his car caused it to flame out. In the 20 plus years I've been racing RC, I've n
ever seen a car's engine turn of from being struck.

I think you just ID the track whiner.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

when i got into rc, i could not believe the amount of jerks there are in the hobby. when people start getting in peoples faces or want to break stuff, it is truly laughable and sad at the same time.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

This guy is a decent, good guy, that why I was thrown off when I had a couple people say he was pissed.....I will have to talk to him.....they may be blowing it out of proportion as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt breaking some unwritten rule I was unaware of.

Like I said I didnt notice he was pissed, and he didnt say anything to me.....but I was running 3 trucks 2 of which I have never ran, one being nitro, so I was frazzled between heats trying to get everything ready.

I really think he was frustrated about the other stuff........ He is getting ready to run in a point series......I am just out there for fun..... I think that was the first time he was running that engine...it wasnt running well... them BAM I take him out and his truck dies.....pretty much ending the race for him....I heard him yelling at the marshall to get his truck to the pit...I think his pit guy had wandered off so it took forever to restart his buggy.

Thanks for all the replies.....I just wanted to make sure I wasnt breaking some unwritten rule.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Nothing worse then running a wicked line for a few laps only to realize you had your eye on someone else's car, and you were so focused on driving yo didn't pay attention to the crazy truggy cutting across the track hitting everything in sight !
Holy crap I just pissed myself ...that's funny as hell
On subject.....if you get hit from behind when you were in your line...not bieng slow,just in your line...then that person shoud stop and wait.....and why does everyone think its fair to come in to the corner full lit and use you like a burm....if you can take the spot, do it clean and with dignity....unless the person in font is blocking,even though he's slower...then you can give them the punt
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Tdiddy
Proper Etiquette would have been for the guy that flaimed out on the track to yell out where his car is. WATCH THE TRIPPLE! or WATCH THE STRAIGHT!!! I also think the guys full of it saying you hitting his car caused it to flame out. In the 20 plus years I've been racing RC, I've n
ever seen a car's engine turn of from being struck.

I think you just ID the track whiner.
Nailed it....soooo true lol....when I crash, I call out where I'm at....its also a must to pull over for the leaders and faster guys
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

if he was stopped for any reason, he should have called it out.

i disagree with moving over for the leader. hold your line and they will go around you. from my experience, when you try to move over for the faster guy it ends up taking longer than if you just keep driving and they pass you on your own, and i've heard the fast guys at my local track saying the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.