Wiki Posts
Search

Are setup stations worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Are setup stations worth it???

I have been focusing on my chassis setup more lately and I was thinking about getting a setup station. From people who have purchased them, are they worth it? After having it do you wish you did not spend the money on it? Or do you feel it was a great purchase? Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default No or yes

I honestly don't think off road cars need them. I am pretty good at adjusting my buggy from experience and a good eye for detail so I would say if you can't tell the difference between 2 and 4 degrees of camber then yes go ahead and get one, but if you seem to be able to tell if something aint right then no it's a waste of money......Some racers buy so much crap that isn't needed, but to each their own.....
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That is what I was afraid of. I did not want to spend $100+ dollars and not need it. I set my truggy and buggy up right now with chamber and ride height gauges. For toe I just lay my chamber gauge on it's side and use it for toe.

I was just thinking, I could be a lot more accurate with a setup station; but I also wondered if I need that level of accuracy in 1/8 off-road.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yep, not worth it. I have the hudy and used it only twice in 5 years.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I say worth it if you do proper maintenance on your car to start with... the setup station will help you get the last 5%, but you need to get the fundamentals right first.

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

I found after using setup station buggy tracks better.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I mostly use camber and ride height guages at the track but my Buggy always feels better to drive after a go on the Hudy.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smelly62
I mostly use camber and ride height guages at the track but my Buggy always feels better to drive after a go on the Hudy.
I second that. Its also much quicker to get back to your precise 'standard setup' after a stripdown.

I bought a Hudy several years ago, and although it probably only gets used 3 or 4 times a year, I certainly don't regret spending the coin on it....
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

I've been thinking about getting setup station for awhile, but its always crossed my mind - with the amount of slop in the suspension do they make that much difference over a camber and height gauge to warrent spending the dollars?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As someone that runs and sells both on-road and off-road, here is my $.02.
Full set up stations are used more in on-road where the cars, in the past, were more adjustable. Off-road cars are catching up on the adjustability. On-road racing has a lot of set-up changes in roll center, camber and ride height driven by the wear in their foam tires. Off road guys change shock, and diff oils and tires but the alignments remain reasonably constant. Also it is more likely to tear a corner off a on-road car and an alignment gauge will reduce the time to get the car back in alignment.
I use a good straight edge and a large camber gauge (RPM) in off-road and may be too guilty of using the “educated eye” for the other times. I would suggest that you do your alignment and then bum a setup from a buddy and check your work. If your close, pat yourself on the back but if your off, rethink your pit equipment investment budget. IMO tire balancing is way more important off-road but very few people use in on-road anymore.

Last edited by rpoage; 06-01-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I also thought they might have been a "Bling" factor but I'm very fussy with our Buggy/Truggy and they regularly get stripped with new bits put in. And before every major meet we do i put all new plastic bits just having the HUDY there makes it so much easier and quicker and you know both sides are spot on I would put buggy and Truggy in ours twice a month easy maybe more fine tuning from steering rake to droop. But as mentioned above in earlier posts more for on road but coming from a on road back ground i guess it has rubbed off........

If you can afford one i say get one and try it buy the hudy and if you don't like it you can always sell it and only be few bucks down....once you sell it again..
Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

To me, its only usefull when u have a brand new kit. As the car wears off, you get totally different readings using a hudy and a regular gauge. Too much slop in buggy.

If u have a friend who has one just borrow it. For owning one, IMO its not really worth the cost.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my setup station, but I don't use it at the track. I use it after every clean up and rebuild as it helps the car to be consistent. I use rpm gauge, losi ride hight gauge, and digital calipers at the track. I would buy those 3 and a tire balancer before a set up station.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

For offroad, setting toe out on the front is the one thing it does that is a bit difficult to do using other tools.

I have noticed that camber adjustments seem to differ when using a setup station versus a camber gauge. Normally it is about 2 degrees off. So when using the station if I want -2 deg camber I set it at -4 deg using the setup station.

As for brand type, the hudy is a work of art and tough as nails. I have had mine ran over by a car and it was unharmed although the box was toast.

I wouldn't say the setup station is mandatory but is great "peace of mind".
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

How are you guys measuring toe? I'm having issues getting a consistant measurement. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.