Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my V-Spec blew up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default V spec

Hi guys, overall the V spec is a great motor. Fast, easy to tune, and great mileage.

However, I'm not sure that Gallons/motor is a good way to measure motor life. This doesn't take into account that the Vspec gets better than average fuel mileage. I have gotten up to 11 minutes on a tank when others are getting a little more than 7. We both drove one tank, but I went 36% farther. Real cars use miles driven.

I've heard the complaint that some Vspecs only get 4-1/2 gallons on them and they are done. (I get at least 5).

Well if that is the case, using the 7 min:11min ratio for actual distance driven. That would be like a Vspec getting over 6 gallons on it.

Just something to think about.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

I understand what your trying to say Kraig, but it doesn't sound right. Think about it, a motor that gets 7 min. per tank motor and the 11 min. per tank are still using one gallon of gas. The 11 min. motor is not running more than a gallon, it is just running longer tanks. Usually motors run the same temp through a 30 min. main so there should be no assumption that since the v-spec can get more runtime, it is getting worn out faster. My dad has checked the softness of v-spec metal and it is softer than other motors out there no doubt. It is just a trade off like others have said before. Personally the 367 looks like a great motor because it is a nova (meaning harder metal) therefore you will still get 11-12 min a tank and at least 7 gallons out of it.

Kendall
Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Kendall- Some pretty easy math will tell you that I can dang near buy two V-Specs for the price of one of those Nova 367's. Now, like everyone has said... all of these "problems" are fixed in the Speed. So that seems like the most logical choice. If you want the most powerful, easiest to tune engine... I think it's a clear choice.

OS FTW!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Swen
Kendall- Some pretty easy math will tell you that I can dang near buy two V-Specs for the price of one of those Nova 367's. Now, like everyone has said... all of these "problems" are fixed in the Speed. So that seems like the most logical choice. If you want the most powerful, easiest to tune engine... I think it's a clear choice.

OS FTW!!!
Ok, tell you what. When you find out how many balls are in a v-spec bearing I'll start listening...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I'm sorry Kendall, it's not about you. I know you will be running the GO engines because your dad is a dealer. This is about people trying to say that a competitively priced, reliable, strong engine is junk because it doesn't last as long as engines priced twice as much. Let's compare apples to apples people. Dollar for dollar the V-Spec is hard to beat, if you want the ultimate jump up to the Speed.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Guys Guys,

Lets face it O.S. V-SPECS make 1/8 scale
nitro a freakn frak ton 'o' fun

oops Mugan wins again
Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Then the perfect motor is the Go 3 port! $180, all the power you need, and lasts longer than a V-spec! Well that's not proven yet but the 5 and 7 port Go's are getting 7+ gallons the 3 port should also.

Rex
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

come on guys, this isn't an argument over the best engine. Go promote your GO engines somewhere else.

I am already on my second vspec... I did not get a GO and do not plan on buying one in the future. I don't need dealers trying to promote their engine

Anyways, racing today went fairly well. Qualified 2nd in the B main and bumped to the A. Ran with some really fast guys...it was fun. Engine temped between 210~230F all day, running sidewinder fuel. Man, this motor is a powerhouse
Old 03-09-2008, 04:17 AM

I love it when people hi-Jack a thread with another engine claiming its the best!!!

V - specs are great owned a fair few, they are easy to tune and run fantastic. Reliability is hit and miss with the older models but lets be honest no manufacturer is perfect.

THe speed has all the issues sorted so that makes it a no brainer. I only run os or rb motors i have a t7 at the moment and i plan on getting a speed.

Also on a myth of the go engines - 2 weekends ago there were 4 go engines at our track - cue flameouts, inconsistent tuning and 2 snapped conrods. last weekend there were no go engines only os,rb,sirio,novarossi. Im not going to say go engines are crap because £ for £ they are fairly good motors but ive not seen one perform well in a while so maybe the reliability issue is coming into question. Bottom line every company has their ups and downs. If you want to slate a company about an engine why bother just dont buy the engine
Old 03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mileage

Kendall, what I am saying is that often in RC racing, racers look at the number of gallons run on a motor as a measure of longevity. This is not an accurate measure when fuel mileage differs. I will give you an example that will help explain this:

These numbers are exaggerated to make it easier to understand. This is not a representation of any company's motor performance, just an explanation of how fuel mileage comes into play.

We will say that each motor drives 1 mile for every 5 minutes driven.
For ease of math we will say we have extra large tanks and they will hold a gallon.

Kendall's motor gets 5 minutes per tank
Kendall's motor will last 10 gallons

Kraig's motor gets 15 minutes per tank
Kraig's motor will only last 5 gallons

Kendall's motor: 5 min/tank *1 tank/gal *10 gal*1 mile/5 min
Distance driven: 50 miles

Kraig's motor: 15 min/tank * 1 tank/gal *5 gal*1 mile/5 min
Distance driven: 75 miles

Even though Kendall's motor went through 10 gallons and Kraig's only lasted 5, Kraig's lasted 50% longer.

Which motor would you rather have?

Kraig
Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig Krueger
Kendall, what I am saying is that often in RC racing, racers look at the number of gallons run on a motor as a measure of longevity. This is not an accurate measure when fuel mileage differs. I will give you an example that will help explain this:

These numbers are exaggerated to make it easier to understand. This is not a representation of any company's motor performance, just an explanation of how fuel mileage comes into play.

We will say that each motor drives 1 mile for every 5 minutes driven.
For ease of math we will say we have extra large tanks and they will hold a gallon.

Kendall's motor gets 5 minutes per tank
Kendall's motor will last 10 gallons

Kraig's motor gets 15 minutes per tank
Kraig's motor will only last 5 gallons

Kendall's motor: 5 min/tank *1 tank/gal *10 gal*1 mile/5 min
Distance driven: 50 miles

Kraig's motor: 15 min/tank * 1 tank/gal *5 gal*1 mile/5 min
Distance driven: 75 miles

Even though Kendall's motor went through 10 gallons and Kraig's only lasted 5, Kraig's lasted 50% longer.

Which motor would you rather have?

Kraig
+1... sounds like a solid piece of evidence to me...
Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My Picco's get better mileage then my OS Speed does...... so does my modified C6 as well.........
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Oh, thanks Kraig for clearing that up. That does make sense!

Sorry Jon, I got carried away...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

mileage is such a complex subject to address... as a team driver for a very well known fuel manufacturer a couple years ago, we tested different fuel mixes to maximize mileage and mileage only. We went to vegas for a week and mixed fuels right there on spot.... we eventually came up with a fuel that would yield 30-40 seconds more runtime just by pouring it in. Power was identical, lap times were identical and the feel was the same....one other change to the motor yielded around 20 seconds more and takes about 3 minutes to do on any engine (no not the resrictor)... we gained almost 60 seconds of runtime total on a slick track like silver state by changing two simple things....

there are 100 things that can change runtime and/or power output in any given situation with the same tune, its hard to swallow peoples generalizations about brand X or brand Z being the 'best' when they dont have a grasp of what the best ...really is.

my .02
Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default bad rod

Hey buddy sounds like to me you just got a bad rod.. what happens is the bushing brakes lose and then just spins in the rod... the result is your picture... Anyway I don't think it's the Losi fuel as a lot of my friends are using Losi fuel and love it...I'm not sure about he oil % but I do know the fuel is made by VP Racing Fuel using there products soooo it should be really good fuel.. Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.