Whats with Proline Truggy Tires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats with Proline Truggy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't get me wrong I like aka tires too. If it is loose and dusty, the tire combo I like is city blocks in the front and I beams in the rear. As far as premounts go, I have ran proline, aka, losi, and jconcepts premounts and the only ones I have ever had not come unglued were the aka's. However that was 2-3 years ago. Didn't run any premounts for a long time but was in a bind about a month ago and bought some premounted aka soft cityblocks from the lhs and they came unglued during the first main I ran them. That was the end of premounts for me FOREVER. Aka premounts used to be good but this last set I had showed me that even aka premounts suck now. I have always liked gluing my own tires the whole 6 years I have been racing 1/8 off road because I know they will not come unglued if I am the one that glues them. The problems with aka are close to the same as proline. Only 3 treads and hard closed cell foams. Oh well, maybe I am just being too hard to please.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think proline have just seen the writeing on the wall ! they dont think they can compete with aka ( truggy mainly !)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As someone who is sponsored by proline i will tell you this, as far as truggy tires go, i only use holeshots or calibers, and thats all that was selling, cause they work(for truggy) i love the extensive selection for buggy as it is needed, but truggy tires are huge, and with that much tire almost anything will work. The new super soft compounds and closed cell foam completes the package, proline is hard at work on their tire program, trust me
Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxtcr
As someone who is sponsored by proline i will tell you this, as far as truggy tires go, i only use holeshots or calibers, and thats all that was selling, cause they work(for truggy) i love the extensive selection for buggy as it is needed, but truggy tires are huge, and with that much tire almost anything will work. The new super soft compounds and closed cell foam completes the package, proline is hard at work on their tire program, trust me
Yes Proline is working hard with the Truggy tire development. There is a new truggy foam that is already out here in Japan. It has grooves on the inside and outside diameter of the foam. The Truggy foam is not even on the proline website.

Last edited by JoeGuam; 05-15-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Locally at our track I Beams, Cross Hairs and Kaos are the tires to run (hardpacked with slim groove-loose dirt outside of groove). Small pin tires wear very quick. I have been running some old Crime Fighters LPR and they work very well (but now all but gone). On buggy many are running bowties. It is a shame that Proline does not have these offerings as in my area we would buy them.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by moonie1
I think proline have just seen the writeing on the wall ! they dont think they can compete with aka ( truggy mainly !)
Are AKA that popular in the states? The truggy tires are hard to come by locally over here. I have a set but the main track I run on only allows PL.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Saw that the Revolvers have been discontinued,

I can only hope that maybe a Revolver 2.0 will take it's place. Much like the buggy offering. I still think that a Sniper would complete the line up enough to keep most truggy racers happy.

It's a simular issue with AKA. They only need one other tread option to complete their line up. Enduro or Impact. Add in a newer soft style foam like the buggy and I think that would be enough.

Yet for what ever reason neither seem to be doing much R&D for truggy tires. I know the market is not as hot as it once was, which could explain the lack of R&D being done. That is not to say that something is being done quietly, and then Bam, new tire.

Seems that many Mfg.'s haven't been doing much with the truggy tires for a while now. Though VP-Pro, Duratrax, and Louise RC all have offerings for truggy tires. Sweep does as well. All four have a simular design in that the wheel size is that of a LPR, but has the buggy bead mounting like the VTR's do. Lastly Jconcepts has a new tire and wheel combo comming out that has a different bead mounting design.

There are options out there, but I too would like to see both Pro Line and AKA come out with new treads. Softer compounds are nice, but I doubt I'll need a M4 Hole Shot Truggy tire, unless I got them for free. LOL. Talk about one run.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redman3.3
Are AKA that popular in the states? The truggy tires are hard to come by locally over here. I have a set but the main track I run on only allows PL.
Did you take a picture of the new Truggy Foam. I know the Japanese guys showed you the new Proline foam as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I agree about the Proline truggy tires. They seem to not release the buggy treads in truggy form. But aka does the same thing. I don't see impact or enduro treads in truggy form. They did enduro for sc but not impact. Idk what the deal is unless they have been tested and don't work on truggy. I doube that's the case but maybe. Either way I would love to see suburbs, sniper and impact (aka) in truggy form.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeGuam
Did you take a picture of the new Truggy Foam. I know the Japanese guys showed you the new Proline foam as well.
No I didn't take a picture. I left my camera at home. I'll take one when I either go back up or get myself a set.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

All 1.8th Nitro racing is kind of slowing down from what it was a couple of years ago, and it is hard for a company to justify developing products for a class that is on the decline, vs those on the incline (SCT, 1/10th Electric coming back strong)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redman3.3
Honestly yes. AKA in my area has become the go to tire company.. City Blocks, and Grid Irons rule. 2 tires for most any track at any time.. Throw in a set of I-Beams for those mud track days, and You're set for any track condition.

The Caliber is a decent tire, but it does not cover everything like the City Block does. Also the caliber in my opinion requires a specific set up for it, and if you change to a revolver or hole shot type tire for that type of track condition, then your set up will be way off, IMO of course..

VP Pro is becoming very popular in the states also, but their lack of truggy treads is holding them back..
Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

I dont see anything wrong with the truggy tires they have out. They work. The dont need tires with the precision as buggy. The tires they have now work EVERYWHERE. Why do they NEED to come out with new tires?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I have PL Hole Shots and Calibers, and on the days you need the Hole Shots, they just can't be beat. I have M2 and M3 for different track conditions, but to be honest, I mainly use AKA tires most of the time. Soft and Super Soft City Blocks are my go to tires, with an occasional switch up to Gridirons or I-Beams when needed. Also, I use Hot Bodies Megabites and these tires are really good! And lets forget that JC makes nice tires, I mainly use them on my SC truck, the Double Dee's and Subcultures are awesome! Really looking forward to getting some JC Subcultures for truggy because these tires rock on my other cars....

I would like to see some other treads from PL, AKA, HB and JC....Lets hope they do..
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Also, with the VTR being legal some places, not-legal in others, it isnt helping.

I myself am looking forward to testing JC Sub-Cultures this weekend (now that they FINALLY made them), and see myself switching between them and DD's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.