Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is this a good deal?

I already purchased this buggy on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=009 .

It looks similar to a Thunder Tiger i had years ago, I havent had an RC in a long time, but this one is made by smartech and its called the ........Tiger, not to sure about it, i bought for only 71bucks, the guy said it runs great, i am wondering if anyone knows about it, anything i should look for when it arrives. I kind of bought it on an impulse. Any info on it would be awesome

TIA

Eric.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Haven't a clue Part support may be a pain. You should sell it and get a good brand if you want part support and be competitive Just my thoughts. Good luck
Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The problem is the "Smartech" part. They are an asian knock off company that makes extremely generic knock off's of popular buggies. Google "Smartech Magic Wheel" and compare it to a Tmaxx. Have you ever bought a yellow 18v drill for $20 at a flea market that LOOKED like a Dewalt, then tried to use it?

The parts have loose tolerances, are not built with high strength plastics and metals like other better name RC's are, and are not the easiest thing to get parts for as most people do not carry Smartech and avoid it like the plague.

I personally consider any money spent towards a Smartech product money wasted because (especially used) it isn't going to hold out long before parts wear out.

How will YOUR experience go? Likely similar since the product quality is so predictable with this company. If I were you I'd find a Smartech dealer and put him on speed dial. What you'll likely find is that it costs more to keep the car going that you paid for it, and by the time you total up a couple months of maintenance you'll think about all the other vehicles you could have had for the same money you now have invested after a short time.

This may not sound like a silver lining in the cloud, and I wish it were a better response yet it is plain truth with no sugar, but just incase you want it..... "it's great, you'll love it, wish I had one, good luck with it".

For future reference, you ask this question first THEN buy the product.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

havent heard much about this company.. im guessing since its a knock off it wasnt a good deal.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Smartech's are Junk...sorry to say...but u bought a Knock off lemon......its guarenteeed to break and have a runaway...the radio gear is Crap....the car itself look ok...but the second u start to beat on it...parts start failing left and right...i would take that 71$ and chalk it up as a Loss and go to ur LHS and buy an Actual Name brand car and let the fun begin.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you can find out what its a copy of you should be able to get replacement parts. The magic wheel is 90% compatible with tmaxx parts I know I had to fix my dads once.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys, i wil check it out when i get it, i am going to see if Thunder Tiger parts fit it. Its a copy of this TT

I am hoping the parts will work, in the mean time im looking at a RC10GT or a XXT Nitro.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TheBigEasy...unless ur 1000% set of getting a 1/10 i would look into a more expensive 1/8....Way more fun...10X more durable..significantly faster on the track and in general is a Way more popular of a class.....1/10's are DEAD at 99% of tracks.....Sure 1/8 might cost u a 1000$ to get into...but u wont regret it like buying a 1/10 and having No 1 to race against.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I didnt know that integra, when i was last into R/C 1/10 was everything, and 1/8's were there, but not as many. I will definately look into it.