Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Shoot. I opted for the metal diff gears, aluminium pulley wheels, reinforced belt, alum suspension blocks, much harder springs, and slipper clutch using just 13.5t.

What's 5700kv in turns? 8.5t or lower? Nuts. You are definitely putting down some crazy power for the chassis and drivetrain.

Seems over powered but I bet that thing rips tires and pavement like nitro would.

I'd say with that much power you'd best set up the car to handle really nice before letting go that much rpm and torque. I had to ramp up my power first starting with the silver can at 60% then as I tuned the suspension and camber put it to 100%. Then when I was comfortable, droped in the 13.5 0 timing and no turbo. Drive that till I got my suspension preloads, sway, tires, ride height dialed. Then let it go with the turbos.

Flooring it with that 5700kv motor is like a irresponsible teenager with a lead foot. Hahhahahah.

I think the slipper will help save your gears but nothing will save you from firing that missile.

Enjoy.

Originally Posted by ThePanda
so I'm finding the limit of what this chassis is capable of motor wise... and it comes in the form of a castle 1406 5700. Its tons of fun, but In just 3 runs I have broken a suspension hanger, a gear in the gearbox, bent a turnbuckle, and stripped the diff internals. Im thinking of getting the available slipper or maybe changing out the motor. I don't drive the car too hard, but with so much power its very easy to take the occasion tumble.

it could really use a set of roll bars too with the soft suspension.

even with its little foibles it still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it though
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yeah, its definitely way way overpowered. Not sure what I was thinking, but when it isn't breaking bits it does handle the power surprisingly well. The one part I expected to break right away is the belt, but it has held up so far with no complaints.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm running the 10.5T trackstar motor without a slipper and standard belts, pulleys and diff, I've had no issues at all.
The only drive line issue I've had was the pinion wearing out quite badly, the front dogbones and hubside drive cups, along with tyres.

I've since changed to a 67t 48p spur, but didn't realise how much smaller it'd be, so the only pinion I had that fitted was a 33t and that was geared way too high.
Ordering a 75t spur to use with a 26t pinion soon.

Otherwise, it's quite robust I've found, it's only gotten fragile when the bumper broke.
I've only ran it a few times off road though, each time I've gotten pebbles stuck in the steering too.

5700kv would be around a 6.5t - 5.5t I think.
A slipper would help, especially off road.

4000kv I've found is where it gets to be a lot of fun without being too nuts and breaking stuff too easily.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Yeah, its definitely way way overpowered. Not sure what I was thinking, but when it isn't breaking bits it does handle the power surprisingly well. The one part I expected to break right away is the belt, but it has held up so far with no complaints.
It's an "hold my beer and watch this" thought.
It's always fun to see how it turns out.

I got a reinforced belt thinking I'd break the standard one but it's holding up perfectly fine.
I took my diffs out to redo a few runs ago and everything looks new.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default All good things must come to an end

I've been running my Xv-01 for a number of weeks without any crashes. The car has been dialed for a while now.

Today I took it out and flipped it a couple of times on street reflectors. It's suspension travel is so restricted compared to my RC10 buggy which I've recently resurrected.

Anyway, the car handled amazingly for the most part. I think my tires (HPI xpatterns) are finally showing some wear. I will undoubtedly purchase another set since they've lasted me many months (with the proper camber and 4 degree castor). I do have some tires I've been wanting to try in my parts box. Ride tires and also some no-name fish pattern tires.

So there are these dips on the street where I drive. I guess you could say I was driving 30+ mph when I hit one of these dips. The car gets pretty light and steering basically goes to zero until gravity pulls the car back down. At this point I tired to turn, and slam. I lodged myself under a car tire..... Again! That's the second time this has happened. I stripped the front upright (steering block), broke the hub carrier, and bent the steering turnbuckle. I may have also bent my front sway bar too.

Anyway. A fantastical​ end to a pretty good streak of awesomeness​. I'll be ordering parts to get this car back in shape.

Not a very interesting image, but I can't stand to see broken parts on my car, so I did some road side maintenance to verify nothing else was broken.

Time for new tires.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Today I borrowed my friends sedan body. I've never ran this car with a standard sedan body without a wing. It was really fun. From afar it looked like a a Volkswagen Passat Taxi, only with 600hp and turbo. Definitely a change in feeling. I might have to get a Datsun body or something. I love the idea of sleeper cars.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think this chassis is more suited for their purpose with 16mm ride height when not on a track.
I have mine around that, and it can take a decent beating and not flip or impact small objects as easily.
I find it quite enjoyable and satisfying though, with the extra ride height, seeing the body roll and sliding around a bit, but not like a drifter.
But it would be interesting to see how they'd perform like yours with the TC bits.

It's also the main reason why I've never really taken much of a liking to TC, as they require too clean a surface to get a decent run with them, but I do have a track close by that I go to anyway.

Been a few weeks since I've taken mine out now.
It ran alright and is better with more appropriate gearing, doesn't get nearly as hot.
But by the end of that day, it chewed out a diff output cup, they still looked near new when I put the front CV shafts in so didn't bother getting new ones, and it now needs it as it tends to prevent the front suspension from working properly.

I was actually looking to get a TA-07 eventually to play around with something more TC dedicated.
But after my experience with the XV, I don't think I'll be doing that.
From the build experience, poor quality and fitment of parts, areas that could have been better or easier to work on but aren't.
If I had the issues I've had with it over the course of a year, I'd be happy but within the space of just a couple of months and while it had a decent amount of use, it's had no where near as much as my other RCs and it's had more issues.

So I think I'll eventually find a 2nd hand X-Ray T4 or something.

In saying that, it's also quite interesting to drive in FWD by removing the rear dog bones.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default Shredded

So the other day I flipped my car a couple times. Then summersaulted​ it a couple more times from a street reflector. At this point my car felt a little strange accelerating in a weird way, and then braking very quickly. I decided to pick up the car and check how free flowing the gears were by pulling on the throttle. I then noticed something awful.

My motor must have knocked loose and all the gears grinded away when I turboed it. Lol

I've since then replaced it with the stock 77t that came with the slipper. It runs much cooler. It doesn't have that top speed. But more acceleration is what rally cars do best.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

You are very right. The car works well with more suspension in a non track setting. Body roll and suspension flex make the car look amazing around turns flying off of driveways.

It's unfortunate that your car hasn't been as durable as your other cars. It's true. I have been driving my old Rc10 buggy and I can take that car off anything. Where the xv-01 I need to be very selective. The driveline in my experience has been very strong with my motor set up.

TC? I thought about getting a ta07 aswell, but hey, TC is really only for prepared surfaces. I am glad I got a xv-01. The rally car is great in all other tarmac like situations. I have a TA05 and as fast and light as it is, you really can't drive it in many situations.

I have been wanting to drive with more ride height, maybe I'll go up to 12mm because you want to some down travel to soak up dips. Rally forever.

Originally Posted by Shimmy
I think this chassis is more suited for their purpose with 16mm ride height when not on a track.
I have mine around that, and it can take a decent beating and not flip or impact small objects as easily.
I find it quite enjoyable and satisfying though, with the extra ride height, seeing the body roll and sliding around a bit, but not like a drifter.
But it would be interesting to see how they'd perform like yours with the TC bits.

It's also the main reason why I've never really taken much of a liking to TC, as they require too clean a surface to get a decent run with them, but I do have a track close by that I go to anyway.

Been a few weeks since I've taken mine out now.
It ran alright and is better with more appropriate gearing, doesn't get nearly as hot.
But by the end of that day, it chewed out a diff output cup, they still looked near new when I put the front CV shafts in so didn't bother getting new ones, and it now needs it as it tends to prevent the front suspension from working properly.

I was actually looking to get a TA-07 eventually to play around with something more TC dedicated.
But after my experience with the XV, I don't think I'll be doing that.
From the build experience, poor quality and fitment of parts, areas that could have been better or easier to work on but aren't.
If I had the issues I've had with it over the course of a year, I'd be happy but within the space of just a couple of months and while it had a decent amount of use, it's had no where near as much as my other RCs and it's had more issues.

So I think I'll eventually find a 2nd hand X-Ray T4 or something.

In saying that, it's also quite interesting to drive in FWD by removing the rear dog bones.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4roller

4R,
I just ordered a set of the 26MM Ride Radial tires for my TT02 Tarmac rally car, what do you think of them?

I have to say I agree with what a few of you guys wrote higher up. I built my TT02 to around 10MM ride height and that works really well for unprepared tarmac and smooth dirt surfaces. I love seeing the car lean in turns and love getting a bit sideways while under power. I know this is not the fastest way around a track but for entertainment while bashing it is super fun.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4roller
So the other day I flipped my car a couple times. Then summersaulted​ it a couple more times from a street reflector. At this point my car felt a little strange accelerating in a weird way, and then braking very quickly. I decided to pick up the car and check how free flowing the gears were by pulling on the throttle. I then noticed something awful.

My motor must have knocked loose and all the gears grinded away when I turboed it. Lol

I've since then replaced it with the stock 77t that came with the slipper. It runs much cooler. It doesn't have that top speed. But more acceleration is what rally cars do best.
Ah, that's no good.
Have a look at the motor plate and see if it's bent, that'll do it too.

Yep, these things are more fun with a bit more punch than top speed.
I think I have a 75t spur and a 26t pinion with a 10.5t motor with endbell timing turned up, no ESC timing (Viper ESC I have doesn't allow reverse with "race/boost" mode).

I'm not trying to say that these can't handle well with a lower ride height but, they are best when a bit higher.

I'm probably being a little unfair with my issues but I just keep thinking that my other RC's take much longer to wear down like this has.
I still very much like the XV, but it's simple things that'd make it stand out even more.

I have a prepared track nearby where I can run a proper TC car, well it's usually a bit dirty and such on non-race days at least but it's pretty decent.
Getting a proper TC car is just to satisfy my want to fiddle and tune again really.

I like that Subaru body you have, I wish I did mine more simple at times.

I was trying to get the 26mm Ride tyres with my last lot of parts but they were sold out, along with most other cheap tyre sets (RCmart).
So I ended up getting the cheap rally block tyres, they seem ok, soft and low grip but alright.

This chassis isn't about being the quickest, it's all about the fun I think, and the mimicking rally style slides.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dunno, my rear-motor XV-01TC handles great. It has a top speed of 45mph and it almost never loses control.

It looks to me like the motor mount screws were loose, and the motor got jammed tight up against the gearbox during the crash and the pinion chewed through the spur. You gotta make sure to really crank down on the motor-mount screws; use loctite if you need to.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

All's good in the xv-01 hood. The motor plate was fine. I think it was because I had just adjusted the motor screws and didn't tighten them enough. So the crash was pretty hard.

The ride tires have a nice low side wall, so tire deflection is minimal compared to other tires. The compound is rather sticky. So if your car is set up well, then you can stick corners pretty easily.

So I've been running my diffs very loose as of recent. My front diff is almost free spinning. I do find that the front diff needs some thicker oil to maintain some good pull around corners. Some like the spool, but I think it would be a little to harsh on the tires.

I ran the car with some taller ride height and squisher springs. It's so much fun to see this thing lean.

I think I need an old school body to go with it. I am eyeing a Toyota AE86. I can paint it for rally style. My other two bodies are basically road. BMW for toruing, Subaru for hard parking stance.

Need more rally. The rally blocks are fun to drive on, like Shimmy says, low grip on tarmac, but very fun. I've saved mine for only for driving. I've driven every other tire till it falls off the rim.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've noticed no tire-wear issues with a spool. There's just not that much weight pressing the tires into the ground, unlike on a real car. The only thing you have to watch out for with a front spool is twitchy handling; some of my cars handle fine with front spools, but others wander when going in a straight line with front spools and no amount of suspension tuning makes it stop. Three of my RS4s have front spools, as well as my rear-motor XV-01TC, but my DF-03Ra and my FWD XV-01 don't handle properly with front spools. I can't say it's because of a forward weight bias, because the DF-03Ra has a rear weight bias and a front spool still caused problems. It's worth trying a front spool just because they're zero-maintenance forever, but if it causes wandering issues, change back to a diff with very thick oil in it instead; it will behave more-or-less like a spool when cornering hard, but it will drive more predictably in a straight line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.