Wiki Posts
Search

always losing in a race...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i feel you man,

check this thread that i started a while ago, alot of good info and many funny advices

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ur-nerves.html

cheers
Ali
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You've gotten very good advice. Slow down a little, and don't pay attention to your position, or anybody else's position. There are a couple of pretty bad drivers at our track, and some that just want to see how high they can jump. When I come up on them I just hang back for a second and they will be out of my way. This past race I was catching first and second, I was gaining on them every lap and then the announcer noticed and started saying that I was and I started thinking about it. That got me out of my groove and I crashed a couple of times trying that much harder to catch them. It took me a lap or two to settle down but then it was too late, and I finished third. So like everyone else has said just settle down and drive the track. It's better to roll over a jump than to try and clear a hard double only to go tumbling off the track and have to wait for a marshall to get you.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
i feel you man,

check this thread that i started a while ago, alot of good info and many funny advices

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ur-nerves.html

cheers
Ali
that's some pretty funny stuff. The smack talking tip does work with in-experienced drivers. I was doing that saturday and got the same guy to run off the track by telling him not to choke when I was coming up on him. lol
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Here's what works best for me. A good friend and I both race the same class. We always get on the drivers stand with 1 or 2 people inbetween us. During the race, we talk to each other non stop telling jokes and anything else that will make us laugh. It calms our nerves and distracts the drivers around us. I've seen a couple of people get pretty pissed, but it is what it is. We don't do it to distract them, it's just a byproduct of what works.
Last time we raced togther, my motor flamed on the start. By the time my pit guy got it fired up and back on the track, I was 1 1/2 laps behind the entire field of 12. In an 8 minute race, I pulled all the way up to 6th and finished on the same lap as the leader. I was able to do so because I gave up when my motor flamed and didn't care. I just used it as practice and had fun. We laughed the entire 8 minutes.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree, "Slower Is Faster!" The last time I raced in a 15 minute Main it was very intense, the first lap people were running each other over everywhere, no matter which place you were in, the guy in last place "8th" actually made it into the 3rd positon by the end of the 1st lap with over 14min. to go, so what's everyones hurry? Than you got the guys that are about to get lapped and they will not let you pass them
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just be chill and make laps on the wheels and youll have good runs.
i just slow it down a peg or two, and just run a smooth steady pace
(hero laps dont win races)

just think about this:

5 Min race

the competition is running 20 sec laps

your running 21~22 sec laps

your competition has two marchalled crashed for a total of 20 sec

you have a slow steady run that is marchal free

he would run around a 15/5.20.00

you would run ~ a 15/5.09.55
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i agree on mudslinger s post ,"dont pay attention to your position" ,it doesnt mean your the last one ,you dont have chance anymore ,remember its a "race"
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

practise practise and more practise get to know your car get to know where you can push it on the track, I try and focus on my car and just a bit ahead to give me that extra second to say get lined up for a jump get the car stable before I hit any rough stuff, try and block out the other racers around you I try and be prepared early try not to rush get up on the drivers stand earlier work out the best position to stand, I never care about where I am on the track as long as I am doing good consistant laps I should be somewhere on the top when I check the race results, and I forgot just have fun
cheers
Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of my buddies gave me some interesting advice recently. "Practice harder than you race."

If you crash in practice, you can only go a lap down to yourself. If you crash in a race, well... there are other monkeys out there just waiting for that to happen.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHogle
just be chill and make laps on the wheels and youll have good runs.
i just slow it down a peg or two, and just run a smooth steady pace
(hero laps dont win races)

just think about this:

5 Min race

the competition is running 20 sec laps

your running 21~22 sec laps

your competition has two marchalled crashed for a total of 20 sec

you have a slow steady run that is marchal free

he would run around a 15/5.20.00

you would run ~ a 15/5.09.55
best advice yet^^

most guys simply overdrive, it's all in your trigger finger...........perhaps a EPA limit on carbthrow may be helpful, I did it my entire first season @ 80% throw, Im going into my 2nd season and I have increased throw to 90% roughly........It's hard for the mind to understand to slow down out there, BUT if you do, you will feel smoother/faster almost instantly as you are'nt wrecking/waiting to be marshalled.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Racing is VERY mental. You just have to relax.

Full wood is no good
Old 03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just race the clock, not the other racers. Also, you may notice that some of the better racers in your area are capable of holding conversations with eachother during the A-Main. That is relaxed and comfortable. I try to make sure my mind is not completely consumed by the race. Think about other things, relax and do your laps. I think if you're totally consumed, you are way more likely to make stupid mistakes.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
best advice yet^^

most guys simply overdrive, it's all in your trigger finger...........perhaps a EPA limit on carbthrow may be helpful, I did it my entire first season @ 80% throw, Im going into my 2nd season and I have increased throw to 90% roughly........It's hard for the mind to understand to slow down out there, BUT if you do, you will feel smoother/faster almost instantly as you are'nt wrecking/waiting to be marshalled.
This is excellent advice too. I had to do this for my youngest kid. He was wearing the turn marshall's out and finishing in last place. I turned his throttle epa down to 75% and he won the next heat and the main.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fattyalan
hi i just started racing this year...
i have a Hot Bodies D8 with a OS V-spec w/ eb mods
every time i race i do really bad...i always body roll and losing lap times...
during practice with my uncle...i do really well and always kick his a** but when racing he always comes first and i come nearly dead last...

can you plz help me...thank you
Race for the moment. If you roll over, that moment has past. Don't try and make up time because you get in trouble and roll over again.

Honestly, the first thing you should go for is wreck free laps. Once you can constantly do lap after lap without wrecking, then you can start picking up the speed. You have to look at it adding 10 seconds to each lap every time you need to be marshaled.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I used to be the same way. I would start shaking every time I got on the driver's stand. Unfortunately, the only thing that makes it go away is practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.