Wiki Posts
Search

LEAKING JPX JAMMIN / PICCO CARB

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default LEAKING JPX JAMMIN / PICCO CARB

Does anyone know how to seal the picco carb? This carb has leaks all around. My original one was leaking from the lsn needle and from around the boot. I tried to fix it but to no avail so I got another jpx-picco carb (used) from my friend who has one sitting around from an old motor. And that one too has leaks.

So my question is that does anyone know how to completely seal the carb or if not then does anyone know which non picco carb is a direct fit to replace this strainer for a carb completely?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had some leaking problems around my carb base, boot and lsn. I pulled the boot off the carb put a little air seal in the groove and pushed it back on. Same with the base of the carb... a little above the o ring and pressed it back in and tightened it. afterwords I ran a bead around the base of the carb, and the tightening screw both sides and also the boot. For the lsn i replaces the o ring. Also a good idea to air seal the fuel nipple and back plate... Hope this helps...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

U can also Jb weld any noticeable cracks or splits just make sure not to get any inside the carb and let it dry good before you use it..You should also take it off your motor before doing so
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ahh the good old picco carbs... i replaced mine with a nova carb that was turned down to fit the block....ill Never Ever EVER run a stock Picco/Jammin carb...they Suck beyond belief...the seam between the composite and alum also needs to be sealed as when the motor heat's up that can become an air leak and cause further issues.

here's a pic of what i had to do to keep the jammin crab working effectively.

Lucky 7 or Air seal WILL not stick to the boot...so dont bother trying to seal with it....1211 or Racer's edge is the only stuff that will make a good bond to the boot.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

When I had some picco issues with mine (ended up being exhaust gasket) I mentioned to Ofna about leaky carb and they said they do not leak

now I'm sure occasionally one leaks, but is the problem really as big as its made out to be? You would think if their carbs really had a big problem, they would redesign/change them
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by spawn_x
When I had some picco issues with mine (ended up being exhaust gasket) I mentioned to Ofna about leaky carb and they said they do not leak

now I'm sure occasionally one leaks, but is the problem really as big as its made out to be? You would think if their carbs really had a big problem, they would redesign/change them

Hah....good ol Dj at Ofna tech......he would also tell you the grass is blue and the sky is green ....he's soo Full of himself it's not even funny.....i could say more...but ill bite my tongue.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Hah....good ol Dj at Ofna tech......he would also tell you the grass is blue and the sky is green ....he's soo Full of himself it's not even funny.....i could say more...but ill bite my tongue.

well Dj and the other guys have been helpfull to me so I think well of them, but still, for the amount of motors Ofna sells, you would think if there was an issue it would be fixed?? Besides, Picco is Italian, and they build stuff pretty good!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Integra what racers rdge stuff are you talking about?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

This? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...uretor-Sealant
Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bphil49

yupper's...its basically the exact same stuff as the expensive 25$ Three bond 1211 BUT it does not come out as smooth as the 1211....it does smell the same and seal the same...but the overall sheen of the 1211 is different...kinda hard to explain but ya...Lucky 7 is another alternative but cant be used on the boot portion unfortunately.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I see a bright white sealant and a grayish green putty like seal between the Al and Composite, are both of these 1211?

Originally Posted by Integra
ahh the good old picco carbs... i replaced mine with a nova carb that was turned down to fit the block....ill Never Ever EVER run a stock Picco/Jammin carb...they Suck beyond belief...the seam between the composite and alum also needs to be sealed as when the motor heat's up that can become an air leak and cause further issues.

here's a pic of what i had to do to keep the jammin crab working effectively.

Lucky 7 or Air seal WILL not stick to the boot...so dont bother trying to seal with it....1211 or Racer's edge is the only stuff that will make a good bond to the boot.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by xjqkz
I see a bright white sealant and a grayish green putty like seal between the Al and Composite, are both of these 1211?

No the grey is JB weld...the white is 1211...i prefer 1211.