Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Starter box

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Losi Starter box

Hey guys i have had my losi 8/8t starter box, but motors have held up pretty well so far, but i plan on break in a new motor and i know the motors aint gonna hold up with the pinch it has. My question what motors are people changing them out with.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Allegedly, the problems initially reported about the Losi box were the result of a bad batch of motors from one of Losi's suppliers, and to my knowledge, the problem has since been corrected; the box should be fine for breaking-in.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captain america
Allegedly, the problems initially reported about the Losi box were the result of a bad batch of motors from one of Losi's suppliers, and to my knowledge, the problem has since been corrected; the box should be fine for breaking-in.
Well i have 2 titan motors in a mugen box that i was thinking about putting in the losi box, but the wirering is crazy to me i know nothing wires. I also was thinking about putting a losi lipo in it for extra power. Would i have to change the wires around?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just broke in an O.S. .21 VG with my Losi starter box with no problems, other than mine...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have two Maxamps 6k Lipos in my Losi box. But I don't notice the strong torque like my other starter boxes have. They are all 550 motors just different brands. The losi motors seem to need a little more time to spool up before you can push the flywheel onto the starter wheel. And even then there's not much torque.

I rewired my box a week or two after breaking in the starter box motors. I put the good high count stranded aluminum wiring in, using deans connectors. Since outdoor season is coming up and I can't race for the next 4 weeks I think I will mess around with different motors and batteries. I'd really like to put those Ofna 775 motors in the losi box. He! He! He!

Don't get me wrong. I love this starter box. It works fine and everything. But I just wish the motors had a little more punch.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

use a heat gun on your engine and you should have no problem firing it up
Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vroom88
use a heat gun on your engine and you should have no problem firing it up
This will definately help the starter box along. But that is assuming there is enough time between marshalling and then your race. Locally we have just a few minutes between heats and those few minutes could be used for practice and getting your mindset calmed down.

I wonder if Brushless motor can be installed. Hmmm..two 13.5 motors perhaps. They seem to be going cheap now that the 17.5 has become the "stock" class. I'll get right on that and see what works and what doesn't. But I have no idea how to wire that up.

Last edited by air8; 03-14-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just got a new Losi starter box a few weeks ago. I also bought the losi starter box lipo. I used it with my new Sirio CL7 truggy engine. It turns over the engine with no problems at all.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wonder if Brushless motor can be installed. Hmmm..two 13.5 motors perhaps. They seem to be going cheap now that the 17.5 has become the "stock" class. I'll get right on that and see what works and what doesn't. But I have no idea how to wire that up.
What about Two 2.5 speed passion motors. That would kick any engine over

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=SPR13825
Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, they would.

Over the night I've been thinking about how to drive two BL motors. Since most bl motors use a three wire setup, is it possible to use them in a "positive/negative" setup? Does a brushless motor have to have all three wires hooked up to run? I will try to find out today after I wake up. That is if someone hasn't set me straight before then. LOL. So if anyone has a reason why these two should not be mated, speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL. Oh, and wish me luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I just got a new Losi starter box a few weeks ago. I also bought the losi starter box lipo. I used it with my new Sirio CL7 truggy engine. It turns over the engine with no problems at all.
how did you do the wires for lipo? Did you change them to dean plugs? Also if you have a pic of your setup that would be great..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by air8
Yeah, they would.

Over the night I've been thinking about how to drive two BL motors. Since most bl motors use a three wire setup, is it possible to use them in a "positive/negative" setup? Does a brushless motor have to have all three wires hooked up to run? I will try to find out today after I wake up. That is if someone hasn't set me straight before then. LOL. So if anyone has a reason why these two should not be mated, speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL. Oh, and wish me luck.
Brushless is the way to go. Im sure there is a way to add or skip that 3rd wire. One thing like on my mugen box, the motors have to turn the same direction.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by layedbackguy
how did you do the wires for lipo? Did you change them to dean plugs? Also if you have a pic of your setup that would be great..
I thought about going to deans, but was lazy. The box comes setup to run either one battery (gel) or two stick packs. All that was required was to change the sex of the tamiya plug that comes on the battery and it plugs right onto the wiring in the box. I use two velcro straps to secure the battery, and its done. Super simple.

I am leaving for a race in about 20 mins, but I can take a picture when I return home in a few days... if you still want me to. I have found the box to have tons of power. I don't know if it is the little extra voltage, or the gearing in the box, or whatever. It is a very powerful starter box.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I thought about going to deans, but was lazy. The box comes setup to run either one battery (gel) or two stick packs. All that was required was to change the sex of the tamiya plug that comes on the battery and it plugs right onto the wiring in the box. I use two velcro straps to secure the battery, and its done. Super simple.

I am leaving for a race in about 20 mins, but I can take a picture when I return home in a few days... if you still want me to. I have found the box to have tons of power. I don't know if it is the little extra voltage, or the gearing in the box, or whatever. It is a very powerful starter box.
Thanks Scott! Last night when i looked at that was my first thought in changing to deans but im to lazy too. Right now, i have 2 3800 sticks, they work great, but i want to up with times(lipo) and not have the added weight. Im thinking about the losi battery, but the HT is cheaper, and i know going cheap at times can cause problems in the long run.

by the way GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND AT THE RACE
Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got mine when they came out, used it with a gel cell last year with 0 issues, but there were a couple guys here that had motor issues with the early boxes. I just dropped a Losi Lipo in for the nitro challenge, broke in 3 engines on it that week, and it still runs just fine. i did re-wire mine with Deans plugs also. no matter what lipo you get, it's much easier to lug around and has wayyy more consistent power IMO.

One thing to keep an eye on - if you feel like the stock motors are losing a little power, make sure the motors bushings are oiled (honestly). one of the guys at the NC thought his motors went out, because it would barely turn over with a fully charged lipo pack; he threw some oil on all the bearings and it returned to normal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.