Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on the 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Questions on the 8ight

Hey guys, I've been doing alot of research, searching, and reading on 1/8 buggy. This will be my first buggy, and I have decided on the 8ight 2.0 roller. I do have experience with nitro, but only MT's. I have a few questions, and I could use some of your opinions as well.

1. Engine and pipe - I thought I was pretty set on the V-Spec, because all I have ran are O.S and they're great, I love the way they tune, and are consistent, but reading more, I thought about the Nova p5xs. I don't mind spending 300 on a mill, but should I? Would it be better for me as a beginner in buggy to buy the Novarossi n21bf? Save the $150? And do you guys just use the Losi filters? Or is there a better filter setup?

2. Replacement parts and upgrades - After doing alot of research, it seems the front center driveshaft is known for wear, what other parts wear quickly? Should I even worry about keeping a replacement in the box this quick? And upgrades, should I do any right off the bat? I've read about the quick change mount, adjustable hinge pin braces, and aluminum rear carriers, anything else?

3. Servo's and Starter box - I've already got a 5955 I'm going to use for steering, and was planning on buying a 7965 for throttle, and I'm buying the OFNA truggy box from Garet Jax.

4. Accessories/Tools - I've researched and found I'll need .050", 1/16", 5/64", and 3/32" hex drivers, and 1/4" and 3/8" nut drivers, I've got a 4-way that has a 17mm socket for hubs but it's short, should I buy a better wheel wrench? Any other tools or accessories I would need?

Sorry about the long post, I just hate ordering something thinking I've got everything I need, just to find out I have to order something else. I appreciate all of your help.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

1- Losi 2.0 race roller is a good car, just make sure to prep it before hitting the track.......the car is fast and easy to drive with good parts support almost everywhere, I am running Losi now but am switching after tonight's race to Xray, only reason for switching is there is NO Losi support aat my track.

2- Novarossi n21.BF(see Monty @ HES) paired with a Dynamite 086 is an awesome combo......it will be all you need for a while.

3- I would get the basic spares, arms, bearings etc.......I have never broke anything on the Losi, just make sure to keep everything tight......the car is dialed out of box.......nothing NEEDED

4- the servos you have chosen will rock, same for the bumpbox..........I Use 7955 on both and that same box with great success.......they are painless to deal with.

TTR make a sweet sae hexset for like $25.........you will get a new 4way with the race roller for wheel nuts/clutch nut/glowplugs etc.....it works fine.........wheel wrenches are WAY to expensive IMO...........enjoy your new venture and most importantly..........HAVE FUN AT THE TRACK!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Why not just stick with the OS.

You will need replacement parts, its hard to say what you will need because I dont know how you drive, how much you race. What I do after a weekend of racing is Order what I need from Amain on Sunday night or Monday morning.

Just get a good set of tools, start with what you NEED and build from there. You dont have to spend $$$$$$$$$ to get good tools

Last edited by token; 09-15-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

he said he has a HiTec 5955

Torque @ 6.0v is 333 oz/in.
Speed @ 6.0v is 0.15 seconds
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A 5/16 deepwell socket is handy for the flywheel nut.
Dymamite maxlife clutch shoes will last much longer than the stock shoes.
A tube of each 5x10 and 5x13 bearings for the clutch.
Extra clutch shoe pins/screws.

As for engines, The new Ninja is the way I'd go with the Ninja pipe.

Later on I'd recommend getting the shock parts box and a screw kit.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A pack of spare filter foams is also nice to have. BUT, It's better to clean the oil out of the new filters and re-oil with better filter oil. Had dirt go through the new filters on my new engine. The foam has large pores and flows air well but the oil doesn't catch the dirt well unless you change them every run. Now that I switched back to the trusty Belray motor cycle foam oil, nothing gets through the filters except lots of air.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

KingHeadz 17mm wheel wrench, it is awesome
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mwiley
KingHeadz 17mm wheel wrench, it is awesome
The hole down the center is brilliant.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Where can I get a tube of bearings? I was going to order the Avid bearings for the kit for my first after race tear down, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a few extra's of clutch bell bearings.

I plan on club racing only, probably once a month. I will probably get more active, but that is it for now.

I was set on the O.S, but I heard good things about the n21bf. And just thinking, this being my first buggy, I thought I might save that money and put towards other things, especially if it is a good mill.

I will eventually have 2 tool boxes full of parts like I have for my revo, I wanted to go ahead and stock up on the common wear area's.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The avid bearings are good for the chassis, but I don't trust them in the clutch. Ive blown a couple 5x10 revolutions in just one race day, and yes I have proper mesh and everything else...

The best clutch bearing you can get are the TKO special bearings. 5x10 and 5x13. Right now im using the TKO 5x13 and the regular 5x10 losi HD bearing. The TKO's are sometimes out of stock. Also, the kit bearings probably wont need to be change just after 1 race day, but I don't know the surface you race on so they might

The biggest wear item, like you said is the front center cvd. You can replace the drive shaft every 2 gallons, or get a pin press of some kind and replace the pins, but the shaft will still eventually need replaced because of wear on the ball end.

Ive chipped a few teeth on the stock clutch bell, the losi high endurance clutch bell is a good upgrade, I used one this past weekend and it worked great and will last longer than the stock bell.

You will want to replace the rear diff bearing inserts id say every 2-3 gallons.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacerScott
The avid bearings are good for the chassis, but I don't trust them in the clutch. Ive blown a couple 5x10 revolutions in just one race day, and yes I have proper mesh and everything else...

The best clutch bearing you can get are the TKO special bearings. 5x10 and 5x13. Right now im using the TKO 5x13 and the regular 5x10 losi HD bearing. The TKO's are sometimes out of stock. Also, the kit bearings probably wont need to be change just after 1 race day, but I don't know the surface you race on so they might

The biggest wear item, like you said is the front center cvd. You can replace the drive shaft every 2 gallons, or get a pin press of some kind and replace the pins, but the shaft will still eventually need replaced because of wear on the ball end.

Ive chipped a few teeth on the stock clutch bell, the losi high endurance clutch bell is a good upgrade, I used one this past weekend and it worked great and will last longer than the stock bell.

You will want to replace the rear diff bearing inserts id say every 2-3 gallons.
What is putting so much stress on your clutch bell that it eats bearing and chips teeth?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

the aluminum rear diff bearing inserts is a good cheap upgrade. im just a beginner and i havent broken one thing! you will need clutch shoes. no telling when they will blow. i just use the stock losi HD clutch shoes with great sucess!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
What is putting so much stress on your clutch bell that it eats bearing and chips teeth?
chassis flex and 30ft triples I had some very small chips, its not like the bell was missing teeth or anything...

I haven't had any problem since I stopped using avids in my clutch. TKO's are the way to go for me, at least in the clutch.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacerScott
chassis flex and 30ft triples I had some very small chips, its not like the bell was missing teeth or anything...

I haven't had any problem since I stopped using avids in my clutch. TKO's are the way to go for me, at least in the clutch.
Guess I better put some of those in the box too. Spent ~$800 on tools, bags, parts, etc last night
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i race at the nitro pit, its a huge track, our current layout is pretty easy on cars but we have some HUGE jumps before this. All i use is avid bearings, every where, including clutch. Something is wrong with your car if your going thru that many. i end up having to replace my clutch before my bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.