Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric vs nitro discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think the reason why nitro is more preferred is because you can feel it. At heart we are all motor-sports enthusiast and we love racing. Many of us have raced full scale cars, bikes, trucks, etc in the past. The key part an electric is missing is the heart of racing, ENGINE. When you are watching the top three 1/8 scale ebuggy guys fight for position and they do a flyby on the front straight something is missing. It just doesn't feel or sound right.

Now when you have that same scenario and it is nitro; you can almost feel the intensity from the racers. Their engine's are screaming, their car's are starting to get loose cause they're pushing them to hard, you can feel the variations of RPM's and all that good stuff. Tuning and tweaking a combustible engine is part of racing; pit strategies and fuel mileage are parts of racing; oil, gas, warming up your engine, are all parts of racing. These are also things you can't get with electrics.

I think electrics are great but if you ask me what am I racing.........It would have to be a NITRO
Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I like the sound of angry Bees
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70
I understand what you're saying....but I'm staying where I am.

I will never go nitro....started off electric and will stay that way.

But I get kinda irritated when the nitro only guys quote these big prices on what components cost.

A good Castle system from Amain for 1/8 buggy/truggy is $270. I picked up a MMM ESC for $144 shipped from them and bought a 1800Kv motor direct from Castle for $80 shipped. Far cry from $330 which is probably a Tekin system that someone quoted.

A decent AC/DC charger is $200. A Turnigy Nanotech 5000Mah 4S lipo from HobbyKing is only $54. If people want to spend $200 on a comparable battery from Maxamps, then thats their decision.

But dont scare others into thinking thats what they have to pay to get into this hobby.
And the stories of smoking ESC's and flaming lipo's, you all know that the handful of people (compared to the 1000's that work flawlessly) that post their tale dont tell the whole story most of the time. I mean, its not like a nitro RC can go up in flames, can they?

You guys really dont want to brag about how your nitro are better than electric and the costs involved between each anyways. When you add it all up, its probably very similar.

Lets see, we only have to buy 1 servo.
There's no tuning involved when the outside temperature changes.
Brake setup, click of the mouse away when programming.
Starter box? Whats that? Glow plug? I dont have a diesel!
Warm up time? Wtf, I'm ready to go.
Want a trial run in your house? No prob, even the wife cant smell an electric.
Instantaneous torque? Check. Breakneck speeds? You bet.
Noise bylaw? Yep, it passes.

And to those that want to argue that nitro is more "realistic" because of the sound of the engine, when's the last time you heard a 1:1 Monster truck that sounds like angry bees? I mean, come on.

There, I feel better now.

well put +10!!!.....but i must ask...when was the last time your heard an anouncer say "Listen to the roar of those hair dryers as they come screaming down the front straight??" the only thing i ever hear is...well...a hair dryer thats got a sloppy drivetrain due to all of that instantaneous toruqe and breakneck speed....don't get me wrong, their fast, clean, and in good hands will last just as long as a nitro. but i'm a nitro freak thru and thru...got started with electric and got bored with it by the mid 90's and haven't looked back since!!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Lets see, we only have to buy 1 servo.
There's no tuning involved when the outside temperature changes.
Brake setup, click of the mouse away when programming.
Starter box? Whats that? Glow plug? I dont have a diesel!
Warm up time? Wtf, I'm ready to go.
Want a trial run in your house? No prob, even the wife cant smell an electric.
Instantaneous torque? Check. Breakneck speeds? You bet.
Noise bylaw? Yep, it passes.

BORING!!! i dont have anything against electric, they are fast forsure, my 5 year old daughter has one....LMAO
Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Prophet

if you want to race 1/8 e thats fine if thats what it takes to get people to the track and keep tracks open .

i used to race nothing but offroad electric .

ttkdragracing: most quality nitro engines no not $300 usally start up every time and dont flame out a lot when pretty new.

the only thing that can drive you crazy is a air leak on the engine or the tank or fuel line .
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
I run both too. If you truly love this hobby, you should understand, try, and tune them both. Then, you can argue which one is better imo.
+1

and, twice the stick time. twice the track time. twice the chassis test and tune and tire choice.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hustler777
.got started with electric and got bored with it by the mid 90's and haven't looked back since!!
Originally Posted by inferno13
they are fast forsure, my 5 year old daughter has one....LMAO
Yea ok hustler....mid 90's electric isnt even close to what it is today.

And inferno is commenting on electric RC's based on what on his 5 yr old daughter drives? Awesome.

Your arguments are pretty futile.....I'm sure you guys can come up with something better.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

So what do you guys think castle ready sc10 trade for a 2.0 Losi with a novarossi .21 airtronics servos and a j3 pipe. Should I do it?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yeah! When electric buggy and nitro buggy race together and electric flips. I cant hear it so when i pick it up, I start to set it aside or give the dead command to the drivers stand cause, well I cannot hear it. I think it was a flame out till the guy blips the throttle them I'm like WHOOPS, I forgot e-buggy and nitro buggy are racing together.(which would be my fault, not remembering and or experience with the 2 together.)

For me, electric buggy is WAY more expensive, because I would have to buy EVERYTHING. cause I have nothing for electric E-Buggy.

I already have almost everything for nitro buggy, so my start up cost is less then a couple lipos, since I already have almost everything.
Even if I bought everything used from here for electric, nitro is still cheaper for me since I have everything already.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Lord

nevermind

Last edited by Jaz240; 04-02-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: just started trouble
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok I like both.. they both have their strong points and they both have their weaknesses.. but what gets to me is a couple people said something about the way the electric sounds like its falling apart and noisy drive train...... but maybe in the nitro you can't hear that because of the engine is covering it up.... just a thought
Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 AM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
There is no doubt that electric is catching on pretty strong for the sportsman drivers. It helps guys who have trouble with engines and finishing races.... On the plus side it's nice to have a choice and a place for the guys who get stomped in expert buggy to battle with other racers on their skill level.
Yupp...

i am
sofa
king
we
Todd
did...

dats
wye
i dwive
e
wet
twik
bugsy
!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dont get me wrong. I like e-buggy also(drove my brothers caster).
Old 04-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)
Exclamation Electric buggy is the new FAST class

I would never thought guy's with knowledge would post electric is just plug & play so there diff just plug in the shock re builds just plug in and I bet they solider them self to or just plug in the iron all done by its self. with all due respect a 7yr old can tune a nitro motor it KILL ME to see a guy that thinks he can tune a motor and NO ONE else cant wrong come on dude its very simple to tune a high & low speed needle metering vale its not rocket science with all the forums & youtube a monkey can tune a nitro motor now days...

I think why some nitro guys dis like electric because they can send there nitro motor to ANY motor guy to get it modded then some guy show up with a Taiwan electric can and it SPANKS there nitro all over the track SORRY thats just electric power it faster SORRY still there no reason to say they have less skills and its a brain dead class guys plug & play I THINK NOT

Electric & Lipo is here to stay so get over it or at least get use to it at most tracks E-Buggy is the fast class WE should be descusing the pros & cons of the nitro & electric not yours is better than my class and if you dont run what I run you have plug & play skills total BS
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Last edited by Jaz240; 04-02-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: wars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.