Wiki Posts
Search

confusing choices.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the RC8.

One reason to go with the Losi RTR would be that it comes with a Spectrum Radio.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scwrod
I would say the RC8.

One reason to go with the Losi RTR would be that it comes with a Spectrum Radio.
+1
Much better than any FM or AM radio. Better response(yeah dsm is actually alot faster), crystal free, interference free security with failsafe.

The engine is also perfectly fine. It will last many gallons and provide you with all the power you need at your level right now. As for the starter, yes a starter box would be much nicer but it will owrk untill you take the plunge and get a box.

My vote still gose for the losi 1.0 pro kit for $275 from Amain with there coupon code.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

DSM is faster?? Thats a new one! Especially the old DX3? The DX3r feels much crisper than the DX3. Never noticed a delay on FM. Theres a reason we still see so many long antennaes at big races still.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

I keep winning trophy's with my dx3
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
DSM is faster?? Thats a new one! Especially the old DX3? The DX3r feels much crisper than the DX3. Never noticed a delay on FM. Theres a reason we still see so many long antennaes at big races still.
And you notice a delay with DSM??? That is a new one to me. What is the frame rate of a normal FM radio?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you just want to race for fun, seriously. Truggy is the only way to go. They are more forgiving, stronger, less likely to break. Plus, you get a bigger engine choice to choose from. You can run either .21 all the way up to .28s with no problems.

The losi, and AE are the best way to go because parts support is very likely in your area, and parts are alot cheaper. Next would be Jammin, since its still not as expensive as the Kyosho, Xray, or mugen truggies.

Before you drop the cash though, go to you track and make sure the truggy class is big enough to run in. Introduce yourself to people, tell them what you are looking to do. Chances are, someone will let you run a lap or two with their truggy.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerScott
You be surprized how quick just wanting to have fun at the local track and run some laps turns into a full out obsession and a month down the road you will be racing everyweek wanting to go faster.

A RTR buggy may be cheaper to get into at first, but in the long run you will up spending more than if you would of bought a race buggy to begin with, Ive been there, done that.

When I first got back into RC and 1/8th scale I bought a RTR hyper 7.
Within a month I replaced the motor, pipe, servos, radio, receiver pack, chassis braces, cnc steering knuckles, CVD's, bought a starter box, tires, on so on. I look back on it now, and cant believe how dumb I was for buying a RTR, not saying your dumb, just me, lol.

+1 on that....
i know so many people that did that and in the end spent so much more than me.
the other thing that u can do is by a used 8t roller for like $200 to $250 or u can buy a new one for $325 . 2 - good used servos for $100 -spektrum dx2 or 3 with a receiverfor $100 or a used futaba 3pk for $175-200 starter box $50 -i would only buy a new motor $200-300...or if u can find a good deal with a used race roller rtr.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
And you notice a delay with DSM??? That is a new one to me. What is the frame rate of a normal FM radio?
Don't know don't care. I just listen to the better Drivers/pilots. I hate the early Spectrum stuff. Yeah I could feel it. Could have been bum servos or a radio setting, sure. But the DX3r felt ok, and that seems to be what I hear from others as well. So must be something there or its one weird coincidence that others have the same feeling from the same radios. Maybe it goes a little farther than an FR spec. Just my 2 cents, didn't cost ya anything.

I'll stick with my old dusty M8 as long as I can. I'm not the only one thinking that from what I've seen. Lots of M8s out there.

My point is that the Xp3d that is supplied with the AE rtr is actually a nice radio despite how it looks. I had no problems running it last time my rx for my M8 poofed. Was going to sell the cheap looking thing, but now I'm keeping it.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Should you decide to consider the losi email me @ [email protected], I'll be more than glad to go over any questions you may have. Several of our local guys have the rtr and have been very happy. I may be able to help you save some money as well, possibly...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

okay, i will get the rc8, 120% i will get it from amain, but then, is there like anything else i need besides fuel? like the sub c batteries ? any specific voltage?any suggestions? and charger? like a basic charger or a cheap but reliable one. or whatever.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i hear that i have to buy batteries for the starting system too, is there like a pull start conversion or something?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by redza
i hear that i have to buy batteries for the starting system too, is there like a pull start conversion or something?
Trust me you don't want a pull start.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Trust me you don't want a pull start.
+50
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

ive tried both. the rc8 broke more then my 8ight. and i felt the 8ight handled better then the rc8 as well.

If i were you i would get the kit, you can get them now for 299 at a main. then get a motor/exhaust/electronics/radio

youll be a little bit over from the rtr buy youll be happy.

a rtr isnt bad tho. i was keepin up with everyone in my class with the mach 427. I started in sept 08. and now im racing intermediate and there are still guys racing with the mach 427, its not a bad engine for the price.

rtr- 499

kit, with motor,pipe,electronics,radio-est $1000, but thats gettin GOOD parts, you can get it around 750 if you get cheap stuff witch i wouldnt recommend
Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by redza
okay, i will get the rc8, 120% i will get it from amain, but then, is there like anything else i need besides fuel? like the sub c batteries ? any specific voltage?any suggestions? and charger? like a basic charger or a cheap but reliable one. or whatever.

Any cheap nicad pack ($19.00) should work for the starter gun. should be 6 cell. Get 2 so that way you have enough batteries for your Ofna Truggy starter box ($90) when you up grade to that.

8 rechargable AA batteries for your radio. 5cell 1500mah Nihm reciever pack. Might want 2 rx packs.

A charger can be the best investment you ever make. Better even than a good radio. Chargers last forever so get a good one. I have a 20 yr old charger along with some new ones.

Get the Much More racing Silent Charger. The Hyperion Ac/dc charger on maxamps.com is nearly the same. The little $20 simple chargers make nice Nihm explosions. (Seen 3!) Plus a good charger will help you grow to lipo, and can save some overdischarded batteries if you know that trick. Both these chargers cost a little extra. There is a good reason for that.

Take the included bannana plugs and solder connectors for your radio, rx pack,starter battery, and glow plug ignitor all to one lead that way no one connector can be lost. (You might have to buy a glow plug charger and cut off its connector to get one.) If you don't allready have an iron.......80watts should do.

Get the biggest hot shot ignitor you can find. Haven't charged mine since I got it. (it should come with a charger to. Cut that connector off for your good charger and use that little wall thingy for target practice)

My RC8 RTR needed soon after first drive:

Service pack, Amain is good at sending these with the kits so no problemo for you.

Shock bushings
Clutch bell
Most of this cars 3&4mm bolts can be found at Ace hardware. Just remember they'll be softer.
40&50wt shock oil.
5000 wt diff oil, ONLY 5k AE.
Caster bushings
Caster block mounting bushings and bolts
Clutch shims
M2C hard/normal wt clutch shoes.
Pizza
Neon Green Paint.
Os #8plug for hot days
OS A3 plug for normal days.
Extra white fuel tank
Dubro clear fuel line

Sounds like alot....you should see what else piles up in 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.